GSOC explorer project

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

phy_lbc

GSOC explorer project

Post by phy_lbc »

I was reading the June meeting minutes, and about the GSOC project for the new explorer, it was mentioned that Wine also has a GSOC project to do with explorer. It was also mentioned that Wine has refused to cooperate with ReactOS regarding that. Does anyone have any more information on that, or a link from them saying that? I would have thought that you could have just used some of their GSOC code anyway as long as it is GPL compatible?
Z98
Release Engineer

Re: GSOC explorer project

Post by Z98 »

Usability would depend on if Wine made any assumptions about the underlying OS and whether they designed their shell in such a way that it actually followed the design of the one on Windows. As there already exists a shell on most platforms Wine is used for, there is a high probability that they did not.
phy_lbc

Post by phy_lbc »

The bit I was confused about was that when another developer asked if it would be useful, Haos said that wine wasn't cooperating. I'm just not sure how the not cooperating bit would hurt significantly, if you can see their code anyway. It might not be useful for another reason though.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

phy_lbc wrote:The bit I was confused about was that when another developer asked if it would be useful, Haos said that wine wasn't cooperating. I'm just not sure how the not cooperating bit would hurt significantly, if you can see their code anyway. It might not be useful for another reason though.
I was wondering the same thing when I read the minutes. What did Vic mean when he said Wine was not cooperating on the new explorer?
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

PurpleGurl wrote:
phy_lbc wrote:The bit I was confused about was that when another developer asked if it would be useful, Haos said that wine wasn't cooperating. I'm just not sure how the not cooperating bit would hurt significantly, if you can see their code anyway. It might not be useful for another reason though.
I was wondering the same thing when I read the minutes. What did Vic mean when he said Wine was not cooperating on the new explorer?
I meant they are not working in our new explorer, but also a dev in the reactos meeting(iirc) used the "Wine in not cooperating with us regarding new explorer" meaning that thay will create an explorer to cover their needs and not focused in creating a real explorer.If their explorer is compatible enough then maybe ReactOS will use it but it is not the result of the cooperation between both projects ;)
Murmur

Post by Murmur »

don't we have a large portion of explorer already coded?
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Murmur wrote:don't we have a large portion of explorer already coded?
Sure,but how is the question related to Wine?or to Wine collaboration?
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

vicmarcal wrote:
Murmur wrote:don't we have a large portion of explorer already coded?
Sure,but how is the question related to Wine?or to Wine collaboration?
Maybe questioning if collaboration with Wine is even necessary? If we have most coded and they don't want to help us or synchronize the projects, then aren't we almost there anyway?