Current RAM requirement

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Aeneas

Re: Current RAM requirement

Post by Aeneas »

Did you ever remove a stone from your shoe without studying geology? ;) ...

Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

Haos, is the list of flaws fixed in SP3 enough to support elhoir's statement that there were MANY bugs in XP that were fixed over the years, or is there a need for someone of Alex's qualification and skill to say it?

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

The number of bugs in Windows(in any of the versions) are enormous.Or at least I hope so in order to try to explain myself why I install SP1,SP2 and SP3 in Windows XP. Or why Vista SP1 kidnaps more than 4 GB of HDD.
I know SP are not just fixes, but mostly.Btw, I have to reboot now because my next bunch of "Actualizations"(*cough* bug *cough* fixes) wants to get installed.They say something about "critical".

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Show me any piece of software that is without bugs. Something as complex as OS is naturally prone to have large amount of those. If you are not sure about code quality, you could google for reviews of leaked 2k code, which was done by many independent sources.

There is no chance you will ever produce anything bugproof, no matter if nowadays or in the future. Finally, code QUALITY and number of BUGS are slightly different issue, not quite overlapping one another.
For anyone to sincerely judge on Windows code quality, one would need to be skilled coder, OSE, with access to Windows source. Something neither elhoir, nor us can really do. We are all depending on 3rd party views, and we should be bit less jumping into conclusion, than you and elhoir do.

Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

I've red a review of leaked 2K code, it was generally very positive. Now I didn't say that XP is badly coded per se. For me it's the first (for others maybe second) OS from MS that does not BSOD and is generally usable, so I quite liked it. I did say that there are/were a lot of bugs, these show that there is a future optimization always possible.

hto
Developer

Post by hto »

I think reactos could be optimized for more speed, at the cost of slight increase in memory usage. Now there's no need to count every single byte.

nicamarvin2005

Post by nicamarvin2005 »

For anyone to sincerely judge on Windows code quality, one would need to be skilled coder
True That..! I was stating my point of view so don't take it to heart..! I have seen the W2k and WNT leaked code but just to have that feeling of pleasure after you have committed a sin .. :lol: but its since I am just a tester and a bad one at it, But its all gibberish to me so I can't do no harm... :oops:
I think reactos could be optimized for more speed, at the cost of slight increase in memory usage
Wow, Reactos its very fast, the speed its almost native on my Qemu Manager even without the accelerator, DSL Linux its a slug compared to ROS on None accelerted Virtual Machine

Bblaauw

Post by Bblaauw »

To get slightly back on track..are there any memory requirements of each of the 3 installation stages that ReactOS has?

For hypothetical example:
* Phase 1 should be able to install with 16MB RAM (requiring anything above is a regression/bug), and benefits from more RAM (up to 64MB, afterwards no gains) by faster file copying.
* Phase 2 should be able to install with 32MB RAM
* Phase 3 requires 64MB to start properly (due to graphical user interface courtesy of Explorer), please be warned that adding a browser (like FireFox) increases this to 256MB
* please add 16MB to each phase if running with debug info/symbols
* (due to virtual memory and a swap file being available in phase 2 and 3, 16MB RAM should have been enough)

That way issues could be found. Ofcourse you could consider it a bit silly to deny phase 1 and 2 the same amount as RAM that phase 3 demands anyway.

I think all previous posters just want to know: "How usable is ReactOS as a modern version of Windows NT/2000 on my ancient machine?"