Current RAM requirement

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Black_Fox

Current RAM requirement

Post by Black_Fox »

What is current ReactOS RAM requirement after the GDI handle manager rewrite?
nicamarvin2005

Re: Current RAM requirement

Post by nicamarvin2005 »

is that Trunks? or 0.3.13? I just put 128 Mb and it runs fine
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

The GDI handle manager rewrite does not decrease memory requirement directly. It fixes a memory leak and also eliminates a great deal of overhead from applications using handles during their run. That is going to reduce the memory usage of builtin programs that run like explorer or whatever, but how much is saved depends on how many handles an application uses over its lifetime.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Right now i can retry app debugging in Olly tens of times, without ANY problem... on 256MB of RAM. Before GDI Handle and LDR rewrites, i had up to 2 tries on 768MB of RAM assigned, third one causing memory issues and usually a forceful close. Plus, Olly is now very stable at debugging, as previously it was using up GDI handle pool in 15-20 minutes realtime. Right now i`ve finished 1.5h session of non-stop stepping, with tens of app restarts, without restarting Olly itself or the whole system. The only problem left is with ghost processes still cropping up at each restart of debugger itself.
livestrong2109

Post by livestrong2109 »

I'd say its bellow 128mb. I dont have an updated build installed, but you can try it with 64mb that would be my suggested Min.
Wesley Howard
ROS Contributor - Web Developer
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

Haos, Z98: I may have given bit too little information in the initial question - my context is this. After your comments the rewrite seems like a small revolution instead of "just" good news, thanks for the heads-up.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

You can't really equate the GDI handle manager rewrite with the common cache rewrite. Two completely different levels of the OS and they have significantly different effects in the long run.
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

Sure, I didn't mean that. My thoughts were more around one of the catchy features that 0.3.9 came out with - "Look, now 24 MB RAM is enough to (barely) start ROS!". Does anyone want to find out what is the current lowest possible amount of RAM needed to install ROS (no matter how long it will take) and what is that amount for running and, let's say, letting it sit on desktop for ten minutes? I just tried debug build of r51594 with 32 MB RAM, it finished first stage install, but ran out of pages during boot to second stage.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Black_Fox wrote:Sure, I didn't mean that. My thoughts were more around one of the catchy features that 0.3.9 came out with - "Look, now 24 MB RAM is enough to (barely) start ROS!". Does anyone want to find out what is the current lowest possible amount of RAM needed to install ROS (no matter how long it will take) and what is that amount for running and, let's say, letting it sit on desktop for ten minutes? I just tried debug build of r51594 with 32 MB RAM, it finished first stage install, but ran out of pages during boot to second stage.
I really doubt it could install nowadays with less than 48MB.iirc I was able to install ReactOS with that amount.Same amount is needed to reach Desktop or explorer won't load. These numbers are from the 0.3.11 era, and I used VBox. With VBox it's quite easy to find the exact amount.
fred02

Post by fred02 »

Black_Fox wrote:Does anyone want to find out what is the current lowest possible amount of RAM needed to install ROS (no matter how long it will take)
I'm not sure it is feasible, since it can start swapping to disk (does ROS have a working swap memory?) in low memory situation.
nicamarvin2005

Post by nicamarvin2005 »

Sure, I didn't mean that. My thoughts were more around one of the catchy features that 0.3.9 came out with - "Look, now 24 MB RAM is enough to (barely) start ROS!". Does anyone want to find out what is the current lowest possible amount of RAM needed to install ROS (no matter how long it will take) and what is that amount for running and, let's say, letting it sit on desktop for ten minutes? I just tried debug build of r51594 with 32 MB RAM, it finished first stage install, but ran out of pages during boot to second stage
I like this type of testing, I once was able to boot Windows Vista with only 64MB of RAM.. :o
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

I think the lowest number to get ROS up to 3rd stage (desktop) was 38 or 42 MB. You wouldn't be able to run anything apart from the OS itself in such config, but Arty is sure, that Cc and paging will change that.
Mna.

Post by Mna. »

I evidence that ROS is not able to run on 32 Mb on RAM. It stumbles with problems while loading winlogon.exe

Secondly, I would like to say, ROS has other, upper limit on RAM requirements: it shouldn't be greater than ~3600-3700 Mb
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

It's a 32bit operating system. It wouldn't even see any RAM higher than I believe it's 3.7GB or something.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Mna. wrote:I evidence that ROS is not able to run on 32 Mb on RAM. It stumbles with problems while loading winlogon.exe

Secondly, I would like to say, ROS has other, upper limit on RAM requirements: it shouldn't be greater than ~3600-3700 Mb
That sounds about right. The upper limit is imposed by the 32bit addressing. When we get a 64-bit version going, we should be able to use more memory. 64-bit would probably require more memory considering the granularity issue.