cant even start reactos

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

cyborg01001

cant even start reactos

Post by cyborg01001 »

I swear ive tried rewriting the code to boot the system to rewriting the windows system and adding reactos to that system.
I used the older version of reactos i think024 or something,with the boot.bat file. nothing.
heres my system win98;accually i was using another drine with fat 32 with its own boot system. dos
150 megs of ram onboard
10 gig hardrive
penteium 2 processor.

I even intalled the binaries by hand to the hard disk cd'd ti c:\reactos\
boot everything.
In the older version i used boot.bat and it uses the bootc.1st file and it hangs after casemap.nls.
I really hate microsoft windows and want to work with this seemingly great os but dont know why i cant get it to work at all.
ps: It will not under any cercumstances boot using the files on the burned cd rom. I re burned that damn thin 5 times.
Any one overcome this same problem suggestions are very welcomed.
i386DX

Re: cant even start reactos

Post by i386DX »

Did you used a bootcd or something? If you only copied the binaries it wont work (or I don't know how)
cyborg01001 wrote: I really hate microsoft windows and want to work with this seemingly great os but dont know why i cant get it to work at all.
Reactos is still in early development and not yet usable :-(.
cyborg01001

ive tried it all

Post by cyborg01001 »

I boot up on the cd where i burned the new iso using neros. it boots to blank and stays blank. nothing just
the welcome file starts in windows but nothing will boot in dos booting cd.

I burned three times but none would boot and run even though all the files appear to be okay on the cd.
Thats when i downloaded the binaries in order to study them and see what makes the system tic. I do that a lot.
on the boot bat file it saysloadros system32\ntoskrnl.exe system32\hal.dll /DEBUGPORT=BOCHS bootc.lst

it begins the boot1st file which issystem32\drivers\pci.sys
system32\drivers\scsiport.sys
system32\drivers\atapi.sys
system32\drivers\class2.sys
system32\drivers\disk.sys
system32\drivers\vfatfs.sys
system32\drivers\ndis.sys
system32\config\system
system32\ansi.nls
system32\oem.nls
system32\casemap.nls

then freezes in dos right there.

Is anyone acually able to use this system?

What file is supposed to boot after casemap? :roll:
GvG

Post by GvG »

If I understand you correctly you're looking at the 0.2.4 release? That's way old, why not try one of the newer releases (0.2.7 will be available soon).
Not exactly sure how you booted, but the correct method is to burn the iso to a CD and then try to boot your computer from that CD. If it doesn't work try booting some other OS from CD, just to make sure that your PC and BIOS actually know how to boot from CD.