Installing ROS from hard drive or floppies

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ProtonixDEV

Installing ROS from hard drive or floppies

Post by ProtonixDEV »

Hi,

I have a laptop that does not have a CD-ROM drive. Is it possible to install from a hard drive partition or with floppies?

Thanks,
Anthony
Gasmann

Post by Gasmann »

Back in the old days, there were binaries available to install ReactOS, you just had to unpack them in C:\ReactOS (or somewhere else) and setup freeldr to boot them.

But now I think the only way to do this is getting the source, compiling it and entering "make install". However it may be hard to install freeldr (the bootsector of it) manually without a bootcd, but if you only want to update an already installed Ros it should be no problem.
Baldomero

Post by Baldomero »

I think installing this OS in a near (or not so near) future via floppy can't be something viable, but instead, it could be done with a network installer.

I know also that ROS is not mature enough to acomplish this, but I hope that will be implemented. Am I right? Is this planned?
Dr. Fred
Developer

Post by Dr. Fred »

I think a installer for Windows that creates a boot floppy or a entry in ntldr would be cool.
Where do you want ReactOS to go today ?
steveh

Installing Reactos by building the sources

Post by steveh »

I have just answered in another thread how i installed reactos from sources due to unsolved problems (multiple primary partitions) with the bootcd.

http://reactos.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=830

Maybe that can help you. Caution: the manual boot setup is rather complicate.
cyborg01001

boot from floppy

Post by cyborg01001 »

It might not have been viable to boot on a floppy before but im positive that if you studied it hard enough someone could make a "make shift "floppy booter to start the kernel loader process. When im done with other stuff i might give it a shot.