News: 0.3.13 is in the forge!!Read more..

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

reakt100

Re: News: 0.3.13 is in the forge!!Read more..

Post by reakt100 »

In what environment should the test be done?
Because everything from the 100 list is tested, I tested in qemu:
1. AppleWin- not working, ReactOS hangs, too.
2. VLC working- extremely slowly, with plenty of artifacts and with no sound. Maybe on a real PC it will work better.
3. NumLock calculator works, at least for one calculation,a nd only in case that you type the numbers using the keyboard. The program hangs, if you press a key on the display (GUI). The text box for the calculations is too short and the popup menu is not displayed. Anyway, that is much better than the previous time I tried it.
4. Poedit not working. Error message
Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime errror!
Program:d:\...\poedit.exe
R6030
- CRT not initialized

5. avidemux- does not run at all, it does not even show an error message.
6. DoubeCommander- GUI initializes; browsing works for a while; ReactOS crashed, when trying to maximize the window; Copying a folder worked... almost. After reaching 100% DoubleCommander just disappeared.
nicamarvin2005

Post by nicamarvin2005 »

hi guys, Its me again... :lol: well I just tested the 3.13 test branch and the first app I wanted to try was FireFox 4 beta 12 I wanted to tested against arwinss... :x but FF 4 beta wont even install in Arwinss.. :( but works just fine with 3.13 testing branch, do you think it could be a wine bug?... :o
greenie

Post by greenie »

I think the rule with arwinss and reactos is.
If something fails in reactos and not in arwinss. Then it's a bug in the none shared parts of wine and reactos
If something fails in both reactos and not in arwinss. Then it is a bug in the shared wine code
If something fails in arwinss and not in reactos. Well then I suppose it's a bug in the arwinss implementation.

I could be wrong. That is what i figure anyway.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

greenie wrote:I think the rule with arwinss and reactos is.
If something fails in reactos and not in arwinss. Then it's a bug in the none shared parts of wine and reactos
If something fails in both reactos and not in arwinss. Then it is a bug in the shared wine code
If something fails in arwinss and not in reactos. Well then I suppose it's a bug in the arwinss implementation.

I could be wrong. That is what i figure anyway.
You are right :)
Just i would rephrase "If something fails in both reactos and not in arwinss." to "If something fails in both reactos and arwinss."
Bblaauw

Post by Bblaauw »

I'm just wondering: how do people get the software they wish to test under ReactOS, on their ReactOS machine?

* Downloading the ISO is no issue
* installing with network/internet support in a VMware virtual machine is no issue (provided I don't mess with settings deliberately)
* booting up ReactOS is no issue

But then the trouble starts. 0.3.12 had a shortcut on the desktop for the Downloader program. This future 0.3.13 doesn't, if I recall. Only something for a command prompt and network places. Some tinkering around reveals the Start Menu contains a shortcut somewhere to the Downloader program. The downloader program doesn't list anything till you select a category. Knowing ReactOS's lack of support for floppy drives since 0.2.5 or so, as well as no USB yet (flash drives), and not knowing if ReactOS can browse network shares, I resort to selecting the Internet category followed by installing FireFox 3.6.13 or so as listed. Unfortunately, that ends up with an installed FireFox of which the address bar doesn't work, making it impossible to actually visit a website to download any program you want to test.

What I'd like to see is some kind of "how to get program X working" , just like https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldofWarcraft

For the downloader program itself, I'd prefer the following:
* icon on desktop, even in the test revision currently available instead of only a release version
* FireFox 4.0beta (whichever) listed, due to no address bar issues. Allows downloading programs you want tested by clicking Wiki's URL.
* A link to a working installation of a recent Adobe/Macromedia Flash. ROS + FF + Flash might make Youtube an enjoyable experience, even if sound support might not be present yet.

Too late for 0.3.13 anyway, but following drivers would be nice to include:
* Latest UNIATA version (0.40alpha5). http://alter.org.ua/en/soft/win/uni_ata/
* WinVblock driver, to allow Syslinux/Grub --> Memdisk --> ReactOS ISO --> install. http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.ph ... ock_driver

Anyway, what programs do you expect to be tested, and what's done with the feedback about "not-working" software?
Pesho

Post by Pesho »

I just put the stuff inside an iso file and mount it as a CD drive in QEMU - fast and easy.
led-bloon

Post by led-bloon »

Bblaauw: If your host is Windows, just use vmware-mount (free from vmware), as mentioned in previous posts.
Run vmware-mount to mount the .vmdk file as a virtual drive on your host. Copy the files you want to this
virtual drive. Un-mount the virtual drive. Re-run the virtual machine. Install programs on guest machine. You got 'em!
Latest version is vmware-mount-5.5.0.exe I think. Sure there is a 'readme' on how to use vmware-mount program.
Simple.
AMD Athlon 2650e - Windows XP Home SP3 - VMWare Player v2
nicamarvin2005

Post by nicamarvin2005 »

I use a neat program...folder to iso and then mount them with Qemu manager... :ugeek:
Peterbjornx

Post by Peterbjornx »

Retested jre_1.6.0_07, conclusion run-without-result.
Will test Yahoo Messenger 9 later today.
I'd like the recognition reward and you can use my nickname for it
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

What recognition reward?
Bblaauw

Post by Bblaauw »

Thanks for the ideas of copying programs to inside the virtual harddisk files. However I hope you'll be able to release ReactOS 0.3.13 with an intuitive "hey this OS lacks a (good working) browser by default, so I can't get on internet. Now how do I download one?" solution. Unless the desktop will have a shortcut again for the Downloader program, I see people failing to find that application as they don't know what they're searching for (on disk or in start menu).

Using a computer more for getting information than for entertainment, to me a fairly simple ReactOS machine would have the following working stuff:
* operating system
* website viewer, a.k.a browser (be it Firefox, Chrome/Chromium, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer or whichever)
* video viewer, both standalone and for browser (Flash)
* office suite (LibreOffice, perhaps MS Office if insisting)
* document viewer (Acrobat Reader)
* self-hosting/building/updating (ReactOS Build Environment working on ReactOS)

It would be great if you at some point in not too distant future have a software release that can show all of the above working.
After that you'd get more advanced stuff:
* development language stuff (Mono/Silverlight, .Net, Java, Delphi?)
* sound/music playable (WinAMP, Foobar, Youtube, Spotify)
* near-full proper support for emulated hardware in virtual machine software as a guest operating system.
* more working options for communication with the outside world (floppy, USB, optical disc writing, filesharing, printing, client/server stuff for DHCP/PXE/BootP/FTP/TFTP/SMB)

Most annoying stuff ofcourse are those little pesky time-wasting programs called Games, requiring DirectX (and/or OpenGL), USB, fully supporting commercial graphics cards/drivers etc. a 30GB World of Warcraft on a 200MB operating system sounds funny.

Best of luck, and I'll try testing some programs others haven't yet.
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

Bblaauw wrote:But then the trouble starts. 0.3.12 had a shortcut on the desktop for the Downloader program. This future 0.3.13 doesn't, if I recall. Only something for a command prompt and network places.
Unless I remember wrong, the shortcut is added only for release ISOs - it gets included only for the (almost-)final ISO that also gets the nice wallpaper. This is not always added for testing pre-releases :)
wojo664

Post by wojo664 »

Z98 wrote:What recognition reward?
Vicmarcal wrote:The small surprise:
Those who help on this (plus Devs and all those guys who have sent cool patches) will win a little "recognition reward" which will be available on 4th April. Surprise!Surprise!

;) Nobody knows what is it :D

I've corrected this ;)
Last edited by wojo664 on Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

wojo664 wrote:
Z98 wrote:What recognition reward?
vicmarcal wrote:The small surprise:
Those who help on this (plus Devs and all those guys who have sent cool patches) will win a little "recognition reward" which will be available on 4th April. Surprise!Surprise!

;) Nobody knows what is it :D
Well it was not HAOS but ME ;)
Just to avoid misunderstandings. Please edit if possible ;)
Saibamen

Post by Saibamen »

@vicmarcal: you get my PM?
ReactOS Forum Global Moderator
IT-Maniak.pl administrator