Re: Windows Picture & Fax Viewer Clone

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

NeoTechni

Post by NeoTechni »

Regretfully it's made in VB (and it's closed source).
There's nothing wrong with VB, and that program is actually open source. I put the source code on PlanetSourceCode

http://www.planet-source-code.com/vb/sc ... 2&lngWId=1

I'd actually like to thank whoever linked to it.
NeoTechni

Post by NeoTechni »

Also, I uploaded a newer version last night that supports PNG and animated GIFs. Though I've been told GIF support is buggy, so I'll keep working on it
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

NeoTechni wrote: There's nothing wrong with VB, and that program is actually open source. I put the source code on PlanetSourceCode.
Hi, in order to have it compiled and included in ReactOS it has to be C/C++ as we compile via Gcc (the whole OS is ASM/C/C++)
A pity there isnt a C++ version :(
Cube 8

Post by Cube 8 »

You could distribute msvbvm60.dll (along with other components required to run the program), as long as the MS EULA allows it.
greenie

Post by greenie »

i don't know that it is a good idea to include msvbvm60.dll when there is no open source version. We would have to distribute a Microsoft dll with reactos. Which makes me a little nervous.
Though who knows maybe the license allows it. Though I would still prefer not.
ps.
I started in vb and I am a big fan of it. So simple and easy to use.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

The notion that there is "nothing" wrong with VB is a matter of opinion. There's a reason MS broke compatibility when they released VB.NET. Anyway, the policy of only including applications in C/C++ that are written against the Win32 API is specifically so we do not need to complicate our build process. We have yet to encounter a situation where breaking that rule would benefit us enough to go through the pain of extending the build process.
Cube 8

Post by Cube 8 »

My thought was that, since they allow it to be distributed with an application (e.g. Win95 doesn't have it), there shouldn't be any problem including it in the OS.
As for the implementation of this, as Z98 stated, it will be trivial...
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

We generally only include apps in our main tree which can be built with our GCC and/or MSVC. VB apps would need a compiler for itself and we wont provide one, because none exists as Open Source alternative.

We could add it to rapps as Download though
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Techno Mage

Post by Techno Mage »

The people that want to compile it them self's want it as C or C++ or some other free compiler.
The people that want a fax image viewer, want it to look like the Microsoft one, work like the Microsoft one, but with out that bug that shows half your images as a line down the middle of the viewer.
Icy EyeG

Post by Icy EyeG »

EmuandCo wrote:We generally only include apps in our main tree which can be built with our GCC and/or MSVC. VB apps would need a compiler for itself and we wont provide one, because none exists as Open Source alternative.

We could add it to rapps as Download though
How about JPEGView? It appears to be written in C++, it's GNU GPL and the readme on the SVN says:
To compile JPEGView you need:

- Visual Studio 2005 Express Edition with VC++ package (of course the standard or professional editions also work)
- Windows Platform SDK (platform SDK for Windows Server 2003 or later) - only Core SDK is needed
- Windows Template Library (WTL), Version 8.0 (http://sourceforge.net/projects/wtl/)
(read http://www.codeproject.com/KB/wtl/WTLExpress.aspx how to patch the platform SDK headers so that WTL compiles with VC++ Express edition and PSDK)
- To edit the resource file (rc) a free resource editor as http://www.radasm.com/resed/ is recommended
I've just tried the Portable version and it seems a nice replacement for the windows picture & fax viewer.
IMHO it could at least be added to rapps....

EDIT: Unfortunately it doesn't support animated GIFs,but still it's a nice viewer.
Last edited by Icy EyeG on Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Interesting, something that uses the WTL and is more than a "hello world" type. A good find, I'd say.
Icy EyeG

Post by Icy EyeG »

Z98 wrote:Interesting, something that uses the WTL and is more than a "hello world" type. A good find, I'd say.
Thanks! And it seems to work on ReactOS as well:
wojo664 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=as6AIcXTiUk
Maybe this is not very big, but JPEGView is an open source program, that may be a good substitute of the Windows Picture and Fax Preview Viewer.
I do hope it works as a Windows Picture & Fax Viewer replacement, but it's currently lacking a more XPish look, and, more importantly, support for animated GIFs.
forart

Post by forart »

»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.
roytam

Post by roytam »

IIRC Windows Picture & Fax Viewer uses GDI+ functions.