MS will want this to fail

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

windowsphone7

MS will want this to fail

Post by windowsphone7 »

Microsoft is going to make you guys struggle as much as they possibly can, I think this OS could possibly be the only open source OS that has a chance to even compete with Windows on Desktop.

People loved XP, and a lot still use it. The issue will be advertising to the general public about a free windows. Most people may think it's crap cause it's free.

Best of luck to the project.
Aeneas

Re: Microsoft will want this to fail

Post by Aeneas »

Welllll... I guess many, including MS, wanted, for a time, Linux to fail... ;)
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

Who knows what could happen in 5 years?

Maybe the beta will be released and the project will get momentum.
Microsoft can't control that.
greenie

Post by greenie »

They will want this project to fail. But they can't do anything to stop it as far as I'm aware. We don't need any code or machine code from them. ReactOs is not doing anything illegal. At the moment they probably don't care about reactos.
The worst thing they can do is remove documentation. Which will also harm anyone developing applications for windows. Also most of that information will be repeated elsewhere in websites and books.
zed260

Post by zed260 »

i doubt they do anything most they could do is probably start putting in code in there own apps preventing things like office from running and stuff

but right now i highly doubt vary many if any in microsoft are even watching this progect (anyone with logs of ips visting this site could probably look for ones from microsoft and that tell you for sure)

i doubt microsoft would publicly say anything about this project ether that would likely lead to many ppl who dont know about reactos googling it
mrugiero

Post by mrugiero »

Zed is right, MS probably considers more intelligent to shut up right now and don't make publicity of the project, in other case, more devs probably would join the project.
greenie

Post by greenie »

I remember hearing about Microsoft products checking the registry for keys specific to wine and then blocking updates.
here is a link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_(soft ... t_and_Wine
andrewweb

Post by andrewweb »

greenie wrote:I remember hearing about Microsoft products checking the registry for keys specific to wine and then blocking updates.
here is a link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_(soft ... t_and_Wine
Wow...
serengeor

Post by serengeor »

Microsoft is going to make you guys struggle as much as they possibly can, I think this OS could possibly be the only open source OS that has a chance to even compete with Windows on Desktop.
Yeah.... in like next ten years or so, windows isn't stopping their development process you know?

Linux/unix on the other hand are competing with windows pretty much equally and sometimes even beating windows 8-)

This project has good intentions, and I want to wish developers best luck, tough making another OS from scratch that is similar to another looks awkward to me.
andrewweb

Post by andrewweb »

serengeor wrote:
Yeah.... in like next ten years or so, windows isn't stopping their development process you know?

Linux/unix on the other hand are competing with windows pretty much equally and sometimes even beating windows 8-)

This project has good intentions, and I want to wish developers best luck, tough making another OS from scratch that is similar to another looks awkward to me.
Microsoft will probably try to sue us for patent infringement in a Texas court if it fears us.
It hasn't tried to yet, as we're not a threat.
greenie

Post by greenie »

I don't think they have any legal reason to sue us. We do not use windows binaries or source in anyway way. We just are implementing the public documented api in our own way. The implementation does not have to be identical just the results(hopefully).
I thought i remembered a case where the recreation of an api resulted in a lawsuit for Glide wrappers and technologies. Though it turns out a lawsuit was never made. They just made legal threats against the projects.
Edit:

Plus where and who is sued?
Would the lawsuit be in Russia? If i remember correctly Aleksey demonstrated reactos live to a government official that seemed to support the project.
Though I do not think there is any legal ground anyway.
andrewweb

Post by andrewweb »

greenie wrote:I don't think they have any legal reason to sue us. We do not use windows binaries or source in anyway way. We just are implementing the public documented api in our own way. The implementation does not have to be identical just the results(hopefully).
I thought i remembered a case where the recreation of an api resulted in a lawsuit for Glide wrappers and technologies. Though it turns out a lawsuit was never made. They just made legal threats against the projects.
Edit:

Plus where and who is sued?
Would the lawsuit be in Russia? If i remember correctly Aleksey demonstrated reactos live to a government official that seemed to support the project.
Though I do not think there is any legal ground anyway.
Microsoft has Software Patents. However, they are only valid in the US.
greenie

Post by greenie »

there may be some patents on the algorithms though api can not be covered by patents.
API's can be covered by copyright laws. Though there are legal precedents which allow you to provide an identical API but not an identical implementation in code without breaching copyright.

Patents potentially could be a pain when there is no practical alternative to implement them. Though it is probably far and few between.
andrewweb

Post by andrewweb »

greenie wrote:there may be some patents on the algorithms though api can not be covered by patents.
API's can be covered by copyright laws. Though there are legal precedents which allow you to provide an identical API but not an identical implementation in code without breaching copyright.

Patents potentially could be a pain when there is no practical alternative to implement them. Though it is probably far and few between.
They patented the FAT file system.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

andrewweb wrote:
greenie wrote:there may be some patents on the algorithms though api can not be covered by patents.

They patented the FAT file system.
Software is just patentable in USA.Rest of the world can use us.
Btw, we are not using FAT but something FAT-compatible, as our implementation looks like but it is not the same.
And then the question arise ¿are Cars patentables?