How do i boot

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

GreyGhost

How do i boot

Post by GreyGhost »

So after at last getting reactos to compile i want to boot it. I created make install and am now in a fix,
I have 2 partitions,
One has XP (ntfs partion)
Other is empty FAT32
I aint got DOS.And i realy dont wanna make an install disk.
What can i do?
GreyGhost

Post by GreyGhost »

Yeah forgot I searched the forum but couldnt find anything Please help!
Gedi

Post by Gedi »

make bootcd
GreyGhost

Post by GreyGhost »

I dont wanna make one as i said no install cd.There mustbe some other way.
Meklort

Post by Meklort »

Well, if you really dont want to , you could run make install, and manualy install the bootloader to the harddrive, overwiting whatever bootloader you have. Or, if you didnt want to do that you caould create a boot floppy.
GreyGhost

Post by GreyGhost »

Yeah thats what i am talking bout.But i read somewher (i think that newb compile tute) ethat to put it on a seperate drive using install make i will have to edit the rules.mak file with the line Install_Dir but it does not have any.(do i need to do this if i edit the bootloder?)

Please give me some basic info on editing it or making a boot floppy for freeldr and config. it Thanks:-)
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

if you do not want make a bootcd (installtions cd) try the livecd
make livecd

see also reactos/makefile for more info
and config....xml for more info how you can configurate your build.
Lucio Diaz

Post by Lucio Diaz »

What i understand, the problem of greatghost is that he has no CD drive. I have no experience compiling reactos directly to install it without going throug the iso, you will need other people to help you with that but i can say you that there is no need to change your bootloader, Windows XP bootloader can handle various OSes including reactos, there is even no need to use another partition (if you have fat in you XP partition and not NTFS), the way:

1 Get the reactos binaries from someone (who already have reactos installed in his or her compurer, or just use yourself another computer with a cd and install reactos).

2 Copy those binaries to c:\Reactos

3. Add to your windows boot.ini the following:

[operating systems] multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect C:\bootsect.ros="ReactOS"

4 copy freeldr.sys , freeldr.ini and bootsect.ros at C:\

And restart your computer, you will have the option to run reactos or windows XP at startup.

For mor information (in spanish, sorry) go to:

http://reactos.com/wiki/index.php/Docum ... Castellano

Best regards,

Lucio Diaz.
Lucio Diaz

Post by Lucio Diaz »

I saw your first partition is ntfs, then do the same (copy reactos to D: or whatever the name of the fat partition) but the sentence in boot.ini must be changed, somewher the partition number must be diferent, try 0, if it does not work try 1, if it does not work try 2, cause i dont know if windows start thinking of the first partition as 0 or 1.

[operating systems] multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(X)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect C:\bootsect.ros="ReactOS"
GreyGhost

Post by GreyGhost »

freeldr.sys , freeldr.ini and bootsect.ros
Where can i find these ? the dont appear when i search my comp. Is the source in the "boot " dir in the SVN code? Then where is the make file for it?
I have a CD rom drive but burnng a CD per release and i gonna update the reactos ever week.
GvG

Post by GvG »

Just use a rewritable CD....
hbirr

Post by hbirr »

GreyGhost wrote: I have a CD rom drive but burnng a CD per release and i gonna update the reactos ever week.
On the first time, install ros from the bootcd. For every update, you can use 'make install'. I'm using this way to install ros on a target machine over the network. If freeldr is changed, you must copy it manually to the root directory of the boot drive.