ReactOS is...

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

nicamarvin2005
Posts: 151
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:03 am

Re: ReactOS is...

Post by nicamarvin2005 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:04 am

People will still use Linux because it's SUPERIOR to Windows, and indeed UNIX
I chuckeled at that... :lol:

andrewweb
Posts: 263
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:59 pm
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: ReactOS is...

Post by andrewweb » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:18 am

nicamarvin2005 wrote:
People will still use Linux because it's SUPERIOR to Windows, and indeed UNIX
I chuckeled at that... :lol:
Uh, even the ROS devs agree that the UNIX (and therefore Linux) architecture is superior to NT's.

nicamarvin2005
Posts: 151
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:03 am

Re: ReactOS is...

Post by nicamarvin2005 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:23 am

Uh, even the ROS devs agree that the UNIX (and therefore Linux) architecture is superior to NT's
I I chuckeled again.... :lol:

nicamarvin2005
Posts: 151
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:03 am

Re: ReactOS is...

Post by nicamarvin2005 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:27 am

iven if linux is superior to the NT architecture, let just say for the sake of argument that it is, linux would have to be many times more superior to NT for people to began to use it as their main desktop...Guess why?

andrewweb
Posts: 263
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:59 pm
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: ReactOS is...

Post by andrewweb » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:33 am

nicamarvin2005 wrote:iven if linux is superior to the NT architecture, let just say for the sake of argument that it is, linux would have to be many times more superior to NT for people to began to use it as their main desktop...Guess why?
Why?
I'm expecting "Linux is rly hard 2 use" or "Linux has no drivers" or "X Application runs on Windows"

nicamarvin2005
Posts: 151
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:03 am

Re: ReactOS is...

Post by nicamarvin2005 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:53 am

I'm expecting "Linux is rly hard 2 use"
it maight not be as hard today as it was back in the day, but let just face it, Windows beat Linux for user friendliness....not all of Us are geeks... :ugeek:

andrewweb
Posts: 263
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:59 pm
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: ReactOS is...

Post by andrewweb » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:05 am

nicamarvin2005 wrote:
I'm expecting "Linux is rly hard 2 use"
it maight not be as hard today as it was back in the day, but let just face it, Windows beat Linux for user friendliness....not all of Us are geeks... :ugeek:
If you'd ever used a modern Linux distro you'd know that it can be very easy to use.
"Linux" is not an OS. "Ubuntu" is, it is an example GNU/Linux distro.
Some distros are better than others. Ubuntu is as user friendly, if not moreso than Windows, is good looking, fast, stable - And is used by millions.

Z98
Release Engineer
Posts: 3379
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 8:16 pm
Contact:

Re: ReactOS is...

Post by Z98 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:00 am

The general opinion of the ROS devs is that Linux doesn't have an architecture, that it's pretty much slapped together with no clear design, and the rate of release and constant inclusion of "new" features is simply masking the fact that there is no coherent plan behind Linux. Some people think this is a good thing. As someone who has worked with people that have tried to figure out what the hell is going on in Linux, I'm of the opinion that the only reason Linux is usable in a mission critical environment is because companies like Red Hat and Novell lock their kernel versions in their enterprise versions to prevent major changes from slipping in, which is pretty much what MS does with each Windows release.

Incidentally, to call Linux "Unix" is kind of insulting Unix.

bugboy
Developer
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 9:23 pm

Re: ReactOS is...

Post by bugboy » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:02 am

andrewweb wrote:
nicamarvin2005 wrote:
People will still use Linux because it's SUPERIOR to Windows, and indeed UNIX
I chuckeled at that... :lol:
Uh, even the ROS devs agree that the UNIX (and therefore Linux) architecture is superior to NT's.
Can you name one dev who has expressed this opinion?

At home I use Linux as my primary OS and really only use windows when i'm developing and verifying behavior for ReactOS.
I use Linux because it's a powerful OS and I can accomplish most anything I want on it with os software. In my opinion, Linux has this power because it's open source and not because of it's architecture.
I would not say that Linux has a better architecture than nt.

Mjmartin
Image

andrewweb
Posts: 263
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:59 pm
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: ReactOS is...

Post by andrewweb » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:15 am

bugboy wrote:
andrewweb wrote: Uh, even the ROS devs agree that the UNIX (and therefore Linux) architecture is superior to NT's.
Can you name one dev who has expressed this opinion?
IIRC abragin said so in IRC. There was some discussion a while back, but I was using a different IRC client at the time so I lack any logs.
Z98 wrote:The general opinion of the ROS devs is that Linux doesn't have an architecture, that it's pretty much slapped together with no clear design, and the rate of release and constant inclusion of "new" features is simply masking the fact that there is no coherent plan behind Linux. Some people think this is a good thing. As someone who has worked with people that have tried to figure out what the hell is going on in Linux, I'm of the opinion that the only reason Linux is usable in a mission critical environment is because companies like Red Hat and Novell lock their kernel versions in their enterprise versions to prevent major changes from slipping in, which is pretty much what MS does with each Windows release.

Incidentally, to call Linux "Unix" is kind of insulting Unix.
Indeed. It is.. messy.
Last edited by andrewweb on Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andrewweb
Posts: 263
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:59 pm
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: ReactOS is...

Post by andrewweb » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:18 am

-
Last edited by andrewweb on Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Z98
Release Engineer
Posts: 3379
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 8:16 pm
Contact:

Re: ReactOS is...

Post by Z98 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:41 pm

Aleksey Bragin, the project coordinator, whose day job is a consultant for writing NT drivers? Why do I find it easier to believe your memory is in error here than Aleksey actually saying this?

andrewweb
Posts: 263
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:59 pm
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: ReactOS is...

Post by andrewweb » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:47 pm

Z98 wrote:Aleksey Bragin, the project coordinator, whose day job is a consultant for writing NT drivers? Why do I find it easier to believe your memory is in error here than Aleksey actually saying this?
It was a while ago. It was one of the ops in #reactos-dev, I've probably misattributed.

EmuandCo
Developer
Posts: 4332
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:52 pm
Location: Germany, Bavaria, Steinfeld
Contact:

Re: ReactOS is...

Post by EmuandCo » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:55 pm

Can someone plz finally fix the forums so that EVERYONE has a Edit Button??!
Image
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

andrewweb
Posts: 263
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:59 pm
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: ReactOS is...

Post by andrewweb » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:57 pm

EmuandCo wrote:Can someone plz finally fix the forums so that EVERYONE has a Edit Button??!
...
You mean you can't edit YOUR OWN POSTS?!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest