What about FreeOS/1 ?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

forart

What about FreeOS/1 ?

Post by forart »

FreeOS/1 is a Free, Open Source, FreeDOS based Free and Open Source Linux type OS, with open source Microsoft Windows compatibility using Wine, KernelEx, and ReactOS source code.
...does anyone heard something about it ?

Seems that an ISO is available @ their project page:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/freeos1/

Official homepage
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.
acat1433

Re: What about FreeOS/1 ?

Post by acat1433 »

FreeDOS based ? Maybe it is only a clone against DOS kernel . rThe futue may be another windows98 .
nicamarvin2005

Post by nicamarvin2005 »

We are planning to use FreeDOS as a base to our project and make it into a Free and Open Source Linux type OS, with Microsoft Windows compatibility using Wine, KernelEx, and ReactOS source code, where as it can run programs and drivers made for Windows XP on hardware that Windows cannot run on, such as PowerPC, MIPS, and ARM
is this even possible... :o
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Not, directly. They're actually generating more work for themselves with this approach and I honestly don't know what it is they're even trying to achieve using FreeDOS.
bugboy
Developer

Post by bugboy »

Says there lead is an entry level programmer.
Description does make much sense.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Just another project wannabe.
patternjake

Post by patternjake »

FreeDOS?
pfff :P
andrewweb

Post by andrewweb »

nicamarvin2005 wrote:
We are planning to use FreeDOS as a base to our project and make it into a Free and Open Source Linux type OS, with Microsoft Windows compatibility using Wine, KernelEx, and ReactOS source code, where as it can run programs and drivers made for Windows XP on hardware that Windows cannot run on, such as PowerPC, MIPS, and ARM
is this even possible... :o
No. FreeDOS doesn't run on ARM, MIPS or PowerPC :P
dcomander1

Post by dcomander1 »

Hi, I'm the FreeOS/1 project's creator, Danny C, and I understand the project may not be even possible, but its an attempt, especially one that will be well funded, and have several new technologies that are currently available and ones that are in development as of currently. If this project fails, it fails, its a learning experience for me, to develop my ideas, into something that can actually work, and be successful. My idea behind this project is basically to restructure the FreeDOS file system into a modified file structure, that follows the one used by Linux, while also integrating some major open source Microsoft Windows compatibility, such as Kernel Ex, to add compatibility for the large software library that comes with the Microsoft Windows OS, and also allow the software to install without any issues, and also to add coding to allow the modified FreeDOS kernel to access a maximum of 8 GB of main memory, and a maximum of 16 GB of virtual memory, and have better memory management than Microsoft Windows XP/2000/Vista/7 or 9x. If anyone still thinks the project is not possible, please help make it possible, I'm open for any suggestions, comments, or criticism.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

, and also to add coding to allow the modified FreeDOS kernel to access a maximum of 8 GB of main memory, and a maximum of 16 GB of virtual memory, and have better memory management than Microsoft Windows XP/2000/Vista/7 or 9x. If anyone still thinks the project is not possible, please help make it possible, I'm open for any suggestions, comments, or criticism.
I suggest setting up goals that are bit more real.
ch_123

Post by ch_123 »

My idea behind this project is basically to restructure the FreeDOS file system into a modified file structure, that follows the one used by Linux
Or you could just use one of the Linux ones and write your own drivers for it?
forart

Post by forart »

Haos wrote:I suggest setting up goals that are bit more real.
Absolutely agree.

As I already suggested, it could be interesting to start from a different point of view: just a "package manager" that substitutes MS-Windows components (core too) with open source alternatives.

Of course, users must have an installed copy of MS-Windows and a working internet connection, but you can obtain a 100% working OS since 0.001 pre-alpha. ;)

Keep also in consideration 9x users, that could be attracted to upgrade their system while keeping them functional.
»Forward Agency NPO
Tobi

Post by Tobi »

No. FreeDOS doesn't run on ARM, MIPS or PowerPC
You will need at least an ARM compiled BIOS as "low level hardware abstraction layer" to make FreeDOS run on Arm or other cpu architectures.
dcomander1

Post by dcomander1 »

Thanks all for your suggestions, ill take them under consideration. As for my goals, i agree that they need to be achievable, and so, im planning to do this project in stages, and work on the basics first. Then from there, it will be on an trial and error basis. If something cannot be achieved, then the goals and roadmap will be changed accordingly. As for the Arm and PowerPC/Power ports, those will come in time and with use of an embedded version of qemu. I am planning to attract the users of older computers, and computer refurbishers, to try and keep older computers from hitting the trash heap, even though they work, because they are too slow, and too old for future windows and linux variants. As for the linux filesystem, I will use it, but also use wine's, for program install compatibility, as most programs for windows that don't have the ability to automatically create folders, will have errors, when the default directory, such as program files, isn't available, and so, I am planning to have a hybrid wine/linux file system, having a OS root folder for the OS files, and a home folder for the users. As for drivers, I am planning to use linux drivers, and port them over for out-of-the-box compatibility, while also adding a driver install wizard, to simplify installing windows drivers, and inject compatibility to the windows drivers on the fly. For main memory, Microsoft Windows 9x uses code thunking to achieve full 32 bit compatibility, so, I'm thinking about making an open source alternative to code thunking, while also intergrating it into batch files, for easy editing, and make use of DOS extenders, and additional coding, to achieve maximum memory of at least 2GBs if not more. As for compatibility, that will come, once the OS's underpinings are completed, and it will consist of a miniature copy of linux, and an intergrated variant of KernelEx and a ported version of wine. If anyone has and idea, comment or suggestion to all of this, please feel free to let me know.
forart

Post by forart »

dcomander1 wrote:I am planning to attract the users of older computers, and computer refurbishers, to try and keep older computers from hitting the trash heap, even though they work, because they are too slow, and too old for future windows and linux variants.
Cool, there are *still* 9x users/fans: http://www.msfn.org/board/forum/91-wind ... -projects/

BTW operating system mod is for geeks... an easy tool that does it safely could be very attractive for a standard user (and not only).
dcomander1 wrote:As for the linux filesystem, I will use it, but also use wine's [..] I am planning to use linux drivers [..] it will consist of a miniature copy of linux, and an intergrated variant of KernelEx and a ported version of wine
Too mutch complicated, IMHO.

In the past i'd this controversial idea @ MSFN: Open sourcing Windows 9x (here too)

I collected tons of open source Windows components alternatives (shared here too, obviously) such as: APIs, drivers, programs, shells, graphics, fonts, etc.

I don't think that would be so difficoult to "simply" put them together to gradually free-up a Windows 9x installation.

And if you'll decide to targeting Windows platform (leaving linux components out of the project) you can also grab ReactOS components...

Last but not least, in this way you can involve/collaborate with other projects' devs too, such as Open Win9X.
»Forward Agency NPO