ARM and Reactos The future is NOW

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

nicamarvin2005

ARM and Reactos The future is NOW

Post by nicamarvin2005 »

Ok guys, I have being following Reactos for such a long time and while I use it and not realy work on it since I am not a programer or such, but I like to keep up with tech. well the time has come for reactos I think, I saw this coming with great pleasure, as more phones became more and more computer like with their ARM base processors reaching the GHZ mark was just a matter of time, now 1.5 GHZ ARM base processors like the Dualcore SnapDragon and the Nvidia Tegra 2 are set to take on the Computer world by storm with small inexpencive computers(netbooks) taking on the poor energy efficient lackluster Intel Atom, thats just great, but there is on BIG problem for them, it they do not run a windows Operating System, this will limit their sales point, even at cheaper prices people will not like to swith from windows 7 to a linux OS(android).....

and here is where ReactOS should play a big role, it makes me sad to read reviews after reviews of this new tech and nobody seems to now that ReactOS even exist.. :cry:

but here is the SAD part, I think without big investors Reactos will miss this great times... :cry:
greenie

Re: ARM and Reactos The future is NOW

Post by greenie »

I don't think Reactos will ever become popular on phones. Some of the advantages of reactos are compatibility with windows drivers and windows applications.
Though mobile phone manufactures will have to write drivers anyway.

The application that run in windows will not be user friendly on a 8cm screen with 480 by 320 resolution. eg mail apps take up huge amount of space showing mailbox list,message list plus a panel with the selected image while possibly showing a calendar at the same time.

Plus i think that Windows applications would have to be recompiled anyway for the arm architecture. As even though the os may be compiled for arm architecture the applications wont be. Meaning all exe's you use now wont work, nearly completely defeating the advantage of compatibility with windows applications.

Plus windows was not made for resource restricted devices . There are some clever things android does to save resources when an application isn't in use.

Also reactos barely works as it is normally. So it's no surprise that it is not mentioned in any reviews about portable technology.
nicamarvin2005

Post by nicamarvin2005 »

wrote by Greenie ¨I don't think Reactos will ever become popular on phones¨

greenie I was not talking about phones, I was talking about computers and the imminent assault of ARM based unexpencive computers(netbooks) not the chinese that you see on ebay going for 100$.. this next generation of ARM base computers will be based on high performance dual core Nvidea Tegra 2 and dual core Snapdragon processors clocked at 1.5 GHZ and with gaming Graphics.........if you thought Atom was a power efficient processor, this new gen ARM based computers are many times more efficient.... 8-)

but the not everything is lost as I and many other people think the future for ARM is just starting, the near future will see ARM based High density servers, google is very interested in the QuadCore Cortex-A9 clocked at 2.GHZ..... :shock:

I think in the next 5 years ARM will be very competitive in the Computer market even if it runs Linux and when Reactos is ready for prime time the perfect match will be complete and ARM and Reactos will take off to stardom and Never look back..... :P
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Problem here. If ROS runs on ARM, only ROS will work, but no available software for windows. Everything needs to be recompiled.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

for OSS no problem
nicamarvin2005

Post by nicamarvin2005 »

Problem here. If ROS runs on ARM, only ROS will work, but no available software for windows. Everything needs to be recompiled.
then ReactOS is Doomed..... :cry:
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

nicamarvin2005 wrote:
then ReactOS is Doomed..... :cry:
feel free to find a solution. qemu's translation of user mode apps might help us. maybe a good way to get thing working.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
nicamarvin2005

Post by nicamarvin2005 »

feel free to find a solution. qemu's translation of user mode apps might help us. maybe a good way to get thing working
Yeah I was thinking about something like Darwine was, and also the guys at YellowDogLinux camp gave me the idea of using Wine and Qemu.. ;) but how would I go about linking the wine libs with qemu? maybe using ARWINS..? I am not a programer but I am willing to help this great progect, but some how I feel that using qemu is not that good, we need something more like rosetta or like the dead FatElf from the linux camp.... :?:

check the guys at the FreeOS/1 progect
We are planning to use FreeDOS as a base to our project and make it into a Free and Open Source Linux type OS, with Microsoft Windows compatibility using Wine, KernelEx, and ReactOS source code, where as it can run programs and drivers made for Windows XP on hardware that Windows cannot run on, such as PowerPC, MIPS, and ARM
...... :o
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Until they explain how exactly they intend to pull that off, I'm inclined to think they're just being over enthusiastic. One of the former ReactOS developers experimented with an interpreter for x86 to PPC, but it remained an experiment because of how complicated it was.
greenie

Post by greenie »

If arm is the future then .net and java might be the future. Though they are not windows specific anyway. So 2 big advantages of reactos will be lost. Plus for the people that don't like virtual machines might be able to use AOT compilation.