Latest Arwinss ISO's

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

cmoibenlepro

Re: Latest Arwinss ISO's

Post by cmoibenlepro »

unxed wrote: Thanks again!

UPD: Fresh screenshot, excel 97
http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/6950 ... xcel97.jpg
WOW! That's an incredible improvement! :shock: Excel never worked yet on ReactOS! :D
unxed

Post by unxed »

cmoibenlepro wrote:

WOW! That's an incredible improvement! :shock: Excel never worked yet on ReactOS! :D
Still can't test Word 97, because installer is 16 bit app (16 bit apps are not yet supported by ReactOS), and Word refuses to run directly, without installation. Portable version of Word 97 fails also, but I guess the problem is in launcher, not Word itself.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

unxed wrote:
cmoibenlepro wrote:

Still can't test Word 97, because installer is 16 bit app (16 bit apps are not yet supported by ReactOS), and Word refuses to run directly, without installation. Portable version of Word 97 fails also, but I guess the problem is in launcher, not Word itself.
I have been testing Office 97 too, the installer doesnt launch but you can navigate through the Folders and you will find directly the excel97.exe app. Launch it and you will have it working.
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

Any news?
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 »

I'll be done with several massive (in amount, not power) PC upgrades and re-configurations, so I'll FINALLY be able to get back to you on the debug log for VirtualBox.

Also I'll have a spare PC that I can use for playing around with ReactOS. :D (my original one can only boot from the network, and I never did get around to finding out how that worked XD)

EDIT: pfft, scratch that - my HTPC is no longer booting its OS for some reason. Once that's re-installed, THEN I'll be done.
Last edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 on Wed May 26, 2010 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
gabrielilardi
Moderator Team

Post by gabrielilardi »

cmoibenlepro wrote:Any news?
I'm waiting for the cursor support rewrite to be finished, Arwinss it's not really usable atm without a visible mouse pointer.
roytam

Post by roytam »

gabrielilardi wrote:
cmoibenlepro wrote:Any news?
I'm waiting for the cursor support rewrite to be finished, Arwinss it's not really usable atm without a visible mouse pointer.
Seems fixed in r47602.
gabrielilardi
Moderator Team

Post by gabrielilardi »

roytam wrote:Seems fixed in r47602.
Sorry, it's still not fixed.

EDIT: Cursor issues are fixed, but there are still some issues to be fixed, so I'll update the iso when it's really worth it, please be patient.
igorko

Post by igorko »

You can download last arwinss build 47757 from arwinss.com/builds. Mouse is working and font regression was already fixed so it works as worked before mouse overwriting(IMHO).
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

Too bad developpers are not interested in Arwinss, it is more promising.
I think it is great!
Angelus

Post by Angelus »

cmoibenlepro wrote:Too bad developpers are not interested in Arwinss, it is more promising.
I think it is great!
This is not the problem. Too few developers to attach all the things an OS involves. The subsystem is a basic piece of it to get usability. Arwinss is a fast way to gain time (in terms of usability) until the Windows Win32 subsystem clone is completed (a real monster of code).

The next graphic is a way to understand this point of view (taken from the spanish blog of ReactOS):
[ external image ]

The Win32 ROS version of Wine's clone (a.k.a. Arwinss) will let us to get usability soon because ReactOS can take advantage of the effort of the Wine community of developers. Even it will get more compatibility (yellow line) than Wine's (blue line) because the Windows driver compatibility of ReactOS. But it will never get us to reach the 100% of compatibility with the original Windows Win32 subsystem (think that Wine's is for Linux, not based in NT specifications). The way to reach this compatibility is developing its own 1:1 clone of Windows's subsystem (orange line). So don't be surprised if some developers don't want to leave the development of the original Win32.

PD: Please, Moderators and Developers, correct me if I'm wrong.
Last edited by Angelus on Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:30 am, edited 5 times in total.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Nothing to correct here. 100% fine. ARWINSS is nothing we will keep forever, simply because of the reasons you stated.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

weee!! my paint graphic seems to be useful:).yes, the only way to reach a 99.99%of compatibility is cloning the win32 subsystem.But that means a long time develop ing, so meanwhile Arwinss compatibility seems good enough.Of course we have to followdeveloping our current win32 with small rewrites(as Yarotow is).
:)
Post written using swype keyboard.This is AWESOME.
Aeneas

Post by Aeneas »

The funny part about Arwinss is that... Microsoft did it the same way. Bill KNEW that the Windows 9x series was not really leading anywhere. BUT it was a way to make Windows "famous" quickly, so he sticked to it until the NT line was useable (for consumers I'd say that was with Windows 2000 - NT4 was nice, but a bit too tricky). People probably would not have been waiting until 2000, sticking to DOS till then.
wildschwein

Post by wildschwein »

I hope the red bar-scale on the x-axis is NOT in years.....