cover3.png
cover3_back.png
EDIT: Modified versions (reduced usage of compact disc logo):
cover2.png
cover2_back.png
Initial versions:
cover.png
cover_back.png

The font I used is DejaVu Sans Semi-Condensed (the one used in the winner draft of the web design contest). I can change that if wanted.
The text is taken from the front page. Therefore internationalization is not a problem.
The original images are Inkscape SVGs.
Last edited by gyROS on Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
gonzoMD

Re: CD jewel case design

Post by gonzoMD »

Nice, I like the simpliness, no overblown graphic-design, what you want to see, you see, and nothing else
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

looks nice, yes
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
rembrandt

Post by rembrandt »

I'd completely take out the "compact disc" logo's. Not only is the original logo heavily trademarked, there are strict rules how to use it and adding the word "bootable" would certainly not be allowed. And IMHO it looks too 1980's. Removing it would really clean up the design.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Compact DIsc Bootable gibts als Logo.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
rembrandt

Post by rembrandt »

EmuandCo wrote:Compact DIsc Bootable gibts als Logo.
Nein. Ich habe das in Sony's und Philip's dokumenten gesucht.
It is also not allowed to add words to the logo yourself. A regular (yellow book) CD Rom should have no text except "compact disc"
And the logo must be monochrome, the letters must be either black or white and the background color must be uniform across the logo. In this design the "inner glow" makes it multicolor.

So: why create intellectual property issues when they can easily be avoided from the start? Und warum glauben Sie mich nicht EmuandCo, und warum in Deutsch in Englisches forum?
gyROS

Post by gyROS »

I could either remove the logo without replacement or replace it with "BOOTABLE CD-ROM" or something like that.
I believe it's good if you see what kind of medium you are holding in your hands.
What do you suggest?

PS: natuurlijk is dit de engelse forum, maar je kan lezen:
rembrandt

Post by rembrandt »

I think this is one of the best designs I've seen in the forums so far; nice and clean. Very clear.

Concerning the compact disc logo; on the front it's not necessery at all I think. It's very distracting, visually. Why not move it to the back, but very simple in white only, in the bottom pane.
The word Bootable could just be removed I think. It's not mentioned on the packaging on any of the Windows, OS/2 or Unix disc's I have seen, it's not really a "selling point"; pretty much all OS media are bootable, it's implied, and covered by the installation instructions ("insert disc, (re)start computer, follow instructions on screen"). And if you include it, it might even need to be translated. For non-english speakers, it might be a confusing, unfamiliar word.
gyROS

Post by gyROS »

I changed the images accordingly and added links to the first post. Please review.

And an important question to everyone who is informed:
Which font will the new web page use for the ReactOS logo? The CD covers should use the same!
evilslon

Post by evilslon »

Wow, great cover! But soon will be released new version of ReactOS - ReactOS 0.3.12, can you please make cover for this new version?
gyROS wrote: And an important question to everyone who is informed:
Which font will the new web page use for the ReactOS logo? The CD covers should use the same!
Name of the font used in logo is "Century Gothic", and it's shipped with Microsoft Office 2003 (maybe with other versions, but i don't know for sure) :)
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

uuuh, sry. Forgot to switch back to English in my Mind :-P Posted in German some seconds before.

gyROS

Post by gyROS »

evilslon wrote:Name of the font used in logo is "Century Gothic", and it's shipped with Microsoft Office 2003 (maybe with other versions, but i don't know for sure) :)
Nonetheless you're talking to a Linux user who has neither got an MS Office installation, nor a Windows installation at all. (Nor the intention to ever have one again)
I used "DejaVu Sans" in the variant "Semi Condensed" since it looks very similar and is freely available.
evilslon wrote:But soon will be released new version of ReactOS - ReactOS 0.3.12, can you please make cover for this new version?
And a Russian version, I guess?
Well, at least replacing a digit in the SVG file should not be too difficult. :) (By the way: you'll of cause get the fully editable SVG version, too.)
EDIT: corrected typo
Last edited by gyROS on Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
SuperDog
Translation Team

Post by SuperDog »

I don't like it. Looks cheap and ugly.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

I like it. I didnt see any better. :)
evilslon

Post by evilslon »

gyROS wrote: Nonetheless you're talking to a Linux user who has neither got an MS Office installation, nor a Windows installation at all. (Nor the intention to ever have one again)
I used "DejaVu Sans" in the variant "Semi Condensed" since it looks very similar and is freely available.
What Linux distribution do you use? In Ubuntu Linux 10.04 this font is present too, and it's name is "URW Gothic L", i don't know about availability or name of this font in other Linux distros, just in Ubuntu. :)
gyROS wrote: And a Russian version, I guess?
Well, at least replacing a digit in the SVG file should not be to difficult. :) (By the way: you'll of cause get the fully editable SVG version, too.)
Oh no, no, an English version would be enough :)