need help for the website overhaul

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

andrewweb

Re: need help for the website overhaul

Post by andrewweb »

I can do XHTML, JavaScript and CSS, and basic PHP, if wanted.
garetjax

Post by garetjax »

I am a php developer, designer and graphic artist.

My Knowledge/skills:
  • ASP.NET C#
  • PHP
  • Jquery
  • Ajax
  • Photoshop
  • MySQL
  • MSSQL
  • Javascript (heh)
  • Pascal
  • C++ (Not very good at it though)
Sample Sites: I have many others, but I do digress it is always easier to have a design to start work from :)

UI Designs/Interfaces (etc) There are probably a multitude of other solutions that I have provided, I just cannot recall them all. :)

While I have limited time to provide I work quickly and make sure that all things are done.
DangerGround
Website Coordinator

Post by DangerGround »

answered via pm
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

any status report?
DangerGround
Website Coordinator

Post by DangerGround »

no, not at the moment
andrewweb

Post by andrewweb »

I am willing to help.
I have PHP5/MySQL5, XHTML, CSS, jQuery and JavaScript experience. I run an [alpha stage] social network with working notifications and chat, with both English and Deutsch localisations: http://smokepropelled.ajf.me
If I can help in any way, I'd like to know.
reactosfan11

Post by reactosfan11 »

I thought I saw another thread on this somewhere (regarding website upgrade status), but thought I'd check here if anything new happening here? or can point me to another place with more recent discussion?
TX ROS Fan. (current project - bank of america locations finder - MVC3, Razor, and IIS7.5 )
lanlan4

Post by lanlan4 »

If you still need help with the overhaul of the design, it seems you should hire a graphic designer. It doesn't sound to me like you need a web designer necessarily, since the person you are looking for won't be working with coding. Is this correct? if you think this is correct and would like a recommendation for someone in the Bay Area, let me know.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Not that I want to be rude, but is this project going anywhere? What the status of the new website? Because...well, the first posts here asking for help date from 2009 and the last from 2011, and nothing seems to have been done in those 3 years, and nothing seems to have changed since 2011 neither.

So are we getting that new web-layout/site?

Or are we looking at it? :shock:

This sure doesn't look like the original examples shown, however. I just thought I would as for an update on this topic.
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

Webunny wrote:Not that I want to be rude, but is this project going anywhere? What the status of the new website? Because...well, the first posts here asking for help date from 2009 and the last from 2011, and nothing seems to have been done in those 3 years, and nothing seems to have changed since 2011 neither.

So are we getting that new web-layout/site?

Or are we looking at it? :shock:

This sure doesn't look like the original examples shown, however. I just thought I would as for an update on this topic.
this was discussed more than one time:

there are several steps to do that are depending on each other

step one: port old ReactOS theme to Drupal - mostly done
step two: link used webapps like bugzilla, mediawiki and phpbb with drupal - partially done
step three: find a way to port the old userdata - don't know how is the state
step four: create a brand new drupal theme - afaik nothing done yet

we need more drupal/php devs to get this finished. you may help or know somebody to help, just take contact via IRC.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Yeah, ok, but...the thread mentioning the start of this project is from 2009. Three years and only halfway there seems like not a very...well, you know. I would maybe suggest of hiring a professional and doing the job in six months. Of course, on the premise one wants it done within 6-10 years. If no such time-restraints exist and it can/may take forever, then ofcourse it doesn't matter. (Though, by the time it comes out, it may already be obsolete, then.)

I'm merely saying this as a suggestion, not criticising. For me personally, the current website is reasonably ok. I'm more for content than for appearances anyhow. Being user-friendly is important too, of course, but the navigation-possibilites on the site aren't that bad or unclear. Maybe place the download a bit more prominently on left of the homepage, maybe? I dunno. My only true gripe with the site is that the newssection isn't updated enough. As many others have pointed out; this is real important for attracting (and continuing to do so) interested parties. Otherwise, it gives the impression of being dead, or at least, that nothing much is happening with the project.
andrewweb

Post by andrewweb »

Thing is, the "new" site design is rather outdated. The web has moved on in these 3 years.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

That said: if they keep the current site for another three years, it might become 'retro' and hip and cool again. :P
andrewweb

Post by andrewweb »

Webunny wrote:That said: if they keep the current site for another three years, it might become 'retro' and hip and cool again. :P
We could just take the current site, add some rounded corners, gradients, and drop-shadow, and we'd be done. There's nothing wrong with it, really.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

We could just take the current site, add some rounded corners, gradients, and drop-shadow, and we'd be done. There's nothing wrong with it, really.
Infact, that wouldn't be all that a bad idea. And probably more possible within a realistic timeframe, instead of trying to revamp the whole thing completely, like they are trying to do for the last 3 years and yet still not getting half-way after all that time. There is actually nothing inherently wrong with the current site; some small improvements to the layout and user-friendliness, and a new, more modern visual 'feel' to it, as you say, and it could go forth into the 21st century for the next decennial without much problems. People here of all places should know the adagium: "If it ain't broken, don't fix it."