Abandoned Longhorn - new face of ReactOS?

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

Pisarz

Abandoned Longhorn - new face of ReactOS?

Post by Pisarz »

Hi!
Some time ago, I've decided to have a look at some old alpha version of Windows Longhorn (build 4074). I think it's quite usable. I like it's artwork too.

This suggestion is quite wired, but... Is there any possibility for ReactOS to have similiar design to this abandoned alpha of Longhorn? I don't mean just copying graphics. But sidebar integrated with Explorer is one of the abandoned ideas I loved, when testing this alpha.

My own screenshot, If there is anyone who doesn't know Longhorn:
http://a.imagehost.org/0366/Longhorn_4074.png

And please, If you want to write a reply with just one word - "No.", please spare your time - use it for something more constructive...
mrugiero

Re: Abandoned Longhorn - new face of ReactOS?

Post by mrugiero »

I agree with you, it looks awesome.

A comment: if I'm not wrong, Longhorn was the codename of what today is Vista, but IMHO Vista is awful, and that was pretty nice ;)
b4dc0d3r

Post by b4dc0d3r »

Possibility, yes. With open source all things are possible. You can do anything at zombo.com, anything at all. Oops I meant reactos.org. You will be able to replace the 'standard' shell with any other shell, so if one exists like this when shell support is available for these functions it will be simple.

I'm guessing that since this was one of those attempted but discarded ideas, ReactOS will focus instead on what was actually implemented. Then you can update and customize from there. I took a few more words to say it, but it basically boils down to "feel free to implement and submit it, or wait for someone else to do so." Although someone might just do it for the fun of it, it's more likely they would implement it for Windows and then it would run on ReactOS. So it's more likely to be available through the downloader thingie than a core direction change.
Pisarz

Post by Pisarz »

Oh. So there will be no possibility of ReactOS with such design, until I write my own shell-replacement or something...

It isn't what I excepted - there isn't any finished Longhorn-like shell replacement or even file explorer...
Sof_T

Post by Sof_T »

Why isn't it what you expected? The very first line on the home page says "ReactOS® is a free, modern operating system based on the design of Windows® XP/2003." Since Longhorn isn't XP or 2003 to work on those features would go outside the stated design goals.
mrugiero

Post by mrugiero »

Touchè :P
BPsoftware

Post by BPsoftware »

I don't agree, I have always liked the Windows 9x look, and like react OS because of this.
RedmondXP.com, the Internet Resource for high professional Windows Shareware Software's and Tools
zydon

Post by zydon »

I'll vote for Alpha-blend taskbar if there any suggestion for it. Even with 9x classic gui, alpha-blend taskbar still looks good, don't you think?
Pisarz

Post by Pisarz »

I'll always liked something, which isn't just another desktop messed with icons. More like vision of an artist...
rembrandt

Post by rembrandt »

Pisarz wrote:I'll always liked something, which isn't just another desktop messed with icons. More like vision of an artist...
In Windows:
Right-click desktop, check "Hide Icons"
Right-click taskbar, check "Autohide"
Set custom wallpaper.
Done.
Pisarz

Post by Pisarz »

@rembrandt,
It was a joke, I persume...

You've miss-understood me. I've meant, that the desktop shouldn't be just a desktop. I care much about artwork.
hypercube33

Post by hypercube33 »

If anything, I'd suggest we at least include a whistler theme (xp beta) as it was 9000 times better than candy barbie xp that shipped.

[ external image ]
davefilms

Post by davefilms »

It is my hope that ROS will integrate new technology as it become available. After version 1 is released.
kevintrooper

Post by kevintrooper »

davefilms wrote:It is my hope that ROS will integrate new technology as it become available. After version 1 is released.
Yes, I would somewhat agree but I also hope they keep the theme as simple as possible but update it to not look like something from '95. I mean, gee, its almost been 20 years. (crazy!)

I was working on a Longhorn layer that would run on ReactOS once it hit beta. Sadly, the project died due to lack of support of, well, anyone. No one chipped in. I made a lot of icons from scratch and they looked 98% like the Longhorn icons, if not better. I am currently working on a new UI design. I guess I'll post it on here to get feedback. Maybe it has a future in ROS
gabrielilardi
Moderator Team

Post by gabrielilardi »

kevintrooper wrote:I am currently working on a new UI design. I guess I'll post it on here to get feedback. Maybe it has a future in ROS
Giannis is working on themes support, you could try to make a theme for XP, once themes are working in ROS yours could be considered for adoption.