ReactOS versions

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Is multi versions a good idea?

yes
24%
no
76%

Total votes: 17

jobob75

ReactOS versions

Post by jobob75 »

Hi! :D

I thought maybe reactOS can be modified to be used by schools and clubs and ICT groups. is that a good idea

infact i got that idea from vista :lol:
wojo664

Re: ReactOS versions

Post by wojo664 »

REactOS Starter Edition that can launch only 3 programs? :P :D Oh no NEVER :P
jgwright

Post by jgwright »

It might well be a good *outcome*. Until we know how the actual versions differ the question is whether it's a good *idea* is moot. I think now the effort is on getting *one* version (to beta and beyond).
rembrandt

Post by rembrandt »

The Microsoft system of different versions is ONLY related to targeting different markets; the OS is always the same, but the added/stripped features depend on how much money you have, or how the courts have punished Microsoft in Europe or how the hardware manufacturers want to sell their PC's (media center, tablet, netbook etc.). It's all marketing.
ReactOS doesn't need that. Just the one version: FREE (as in: with freedom).
I'm sure in time there will be different distro's and Virtual Appliances running a mixture of open source, closed source, freeware and payware software on top of ReactOS.
manuel

Post by manuel »

Many versions of reactos?, honestly I believe that it is not good idea, we remember the confusion of Windows Vista with may versions, the users don't know that version to choose, I believe that what can be done is that when installing reactos allows us to choose that component to install and not make it so heavy in the target disk or make a version to the letter as some linux distributions linux where the user choose that programs must contain this distribution.
cyanideDeBergerac

Post by cyanideDeBergerac »

I agree with most preceding comments.

i think a desire for reactos marketing sucess inspired the poll.
so...
I imagine my opinion on best popularization tactics is nothing new, but...
first: stable basics for basic users.
Turn an older pc into safe stable "net appliance".
easy to install, preferably netinstall.
perhaps run starter installer from winxp or even win9x after d/l.
d/l could be the bare starter installer for netinstall.

or (oops, a second version? but is different version of only the *installer*, not of the OS). an acquaintance of user knows enough to d/l complete installer from torrent. and boots from floppy.

unetbootin offers install either from pre-downloaded iso of the os (linux, possibly some *bsd). or netinstall.

______
linux as example of stable basics pc os?
in my limited experience, ubuntu fails as stable basics OS largely because it doesn't run well on p3 or older. the response is sluggish.
i think due to weak graphics drivers. i haven't found any other clues after extensive googling.
ubuntu (and other distros) offer mega tons of apps, though :-)

_________
apps.
browser and email.
next need is media players.
next, media/photo catalog/gallery.
next with significantly less demand, a word processor. i'd guess something like abiword might be first to run on reactos (perhaps already does?)

those are my guesses as to earliest apps that would attract everyday users.
also a good clues come by checking some download sites which have "ten most popular downloads" list :-)
http://download.cnet.com/windows/most-p ... 0_4-0.html
av (not applicable to reactos.. for a while?), media, internet
but also glary utilities. hmm..
foxit pdf reader.
winrar
http://www.cnet.com/top-10-downloads-of ... -10-years/
similar (winzip instead of winrar)
http://www.filehippo.com/popular/
similar, but also defraggler is one of top ten?

so, add a pdf reader to list of early reactos apps, preferably also a pdf plugin for browser since browser plugins are common expectation.

also IMO, the response to ms windows in Europe offering choice of browser (at 1st run of os) is informative regarding marketing to the common "idiot" user (oops, that was rude). (AFAIK response has been encouraging, even ignoring the apparently broken multi-choice panel randomization.)

:-)
mrugiero

Post by mrugiero »

I think it must be 7-zip instead WinRAR, because 7-zip is free and WinRAR is properitary.
And (I may be wrong here, but I believe Evince runs on Windows) Evince instead of Foxit, same reason.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

What is wrong with Foxit?
mrugiero

Post by mrugiero »

There is nothing wrong, I just think that if a free software app exists, it should be used that instead a properitary one, but was only a suggestion.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Foxit Reader is free afaic.
mrugiero

Post by mrugiero »

Sorry then, I thought it was just free of charge.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

It's free of charge, not open source or "free" software. But the point Haos is making is that he doesn't think in this instance it matters. And from a licensing perspective, there is no conflict in including proprietary apps or even drivers with ReactOS since we explicitly permit it with a binary linking exception. There are people who want to encourage a specific stance, but this project doesn't lean that strongly either way.
mrugiero

Post by mrugiero »

But I remember a big topic where the discussion was the "to be free or not to be free" of a guy who made apps for their inclussion in reactos that were freeware, but were not free software.

I'm not against including it, Foxit is great, it was just a comment that it MAY be better to include a free alternative.

BTW, sorry for the bad english.
SuperDog
Translation Team

Post by SuperDog »

Hello,
Thanks for your interest in Foxit Reader. Please feel free to use the Free Foxit Reader as long as you can keep it as a standalone application, agree upon the attached agreement and have it put together with Foxit PDF Reader. You can choose to add a link to our website http://www.foxitsoftware.com on your website for better support. Please contact us if you have any questions.
I suggest to ask them for an agreement.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

The developers in general are against bundling applications in ReactOS, minus a few essentially utilities. Games are a kind of whatever thing, but even those are limited to what's present in Windows. It's more flexible to let a user install the apps he/she wants instead of forcing them to remove apps they don't want. This would be why any time someone proposes including something, we basically demand a very good justification for it.