BIG REQUEST: Donate for USB !

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

wildschwein

BIG REQUEST: Donate for USB !

Post by wildschwein »

Hi Reactosfans,

I would like to make an "experiment": I heard that USB Support is hard to code, needs a cerain amount of time, but there is a developer who would do it. So the developer needs a kind of "motivation" what is understandable !

I would like to have USB in Reactos, it would be that GREAT to use USB Harddisks and Cameras and MP3 Players with it. But what can we - the reactos Fans - do, when we can't help with programming ?

There is a solution: We all can spend some money for USB Development !

I asked in forum and this is possible and DESIRED from Reactos-Team !

So I started this BIG REQUEST for USB Support !
If you are a reactos Fan, then please consider to spend some money for USB Support. Even 1-5 Euro or Dollar would be very Great ! It is easy to spend even for germans, because you can use a normal german "banküberweisung". I don't know it but I think, when there about 2000 Euro/Dollars in the USB pot, it would be interesting for developers. 200 Euros are already in the USB pot !
So, please donate ! If we all donate together we are very strong ! Think of the great thing, that USB support may be realised in the next few months ! WOULDNT THAT BE GREAT ?
Even to know, that some developers are constantly WORKING on USB, would be GREAT !

To donate, use the normal donation process like written on web-page. Use "USB-Support" as reason for payment (verwendungszweck)

in addition: you can post to this topic, that you donated and if you want to tell the amout, do it !

ON DEMAND TO Reactos-Team: Could some of you please post to this topic the total USB donation sum EVERY MONTH (!) ? It would be very motivative for donators to see that this sum goes higher and higher !

Let's try this experiment ! I am excited what happens !
SuperDog
Translation Team

Re: BIG REQUEST: Donate for USB !

Post by SuperDog »

Random idea is not enough.
mrugiero

Post by mrugiero »

I think it's not a completely good idea... think about some people who requires changes or things like that... if they actually "paid" for the soft development and they're not conformed with the results, they'll get annoying with the devs (I don't know if it happens often in the general forum, but in the spanish one, it happens quite often).

I think the intentions are great, but I don't know if consequences will be the best.

Sorry for the bad english.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Such big donation call makes sense if a price is set. Currently, there is no price nor deadline set, so just hold your horses.
cppm

Post by cppm »

mrugiero wrote:I think it's not a completely good idea... think about some people who requires changes or things like that... if they actually "paid" for the soft development and they're not conformed with the results, they'll get annoying with the devs (I don't know if it happens often in the general forum, but in the spanish one, it happens quite often).

I think the intentions are great, but I don't know if consequences will be the best.

Sorry for the bad english.
That's why, ideally, it would only be paid out after such a feature is implemented. There are other ways it could go wrong, true, but at some point projects like this just have to trust their members.
RaptorEmperor

Post by RaptorEmperor »

It might not necessarily be a bad idea to get people to focus donations on a specific piece of functionality. There's the Donate button on the home page, but letting people know that it's going to be used towards something specific (such as USB) might be an asset. Posting a "Current Donation Target" on the homepage saying what the donations will go towards might draw people to donate instead of an inconspicuous "Donate Money" button. The developers would select a donation target, based on which functionality they believe that the donations could best contribute to, such as networking or USB. I believe the current donation system already allows people to donate towards specific functionality, but if the developers were to guide people to donate towards a specific goal, it would streamline the process and leave contributors feeling like they have a better stake in development.

When the fund-raising goal is met, the said component can be developed. Of course, you probably wouldn't want to announce that work on that specific field was being taken until it was already done, so if any hiccups occur during development no one is left constantly nagging for results (except maybe Nute, though he'd nag anyway :P ). Once the work is completed, then in the next newsletter Z98 can go on about how donations from ReactOS supporters allowed [x] component to be developed, and now the new fund-raising target is [y]. All the people who contributed to that goal, who probably keep tabs on ReactOS's progress, will be able to tell themselves, "Hey, I made a difference!" and that might draw them to donate more, or, even better, convince others to donate as well.

People have suggested stuff like this before, if I remember correctly.

It's not a bad idea, but it all depends on the implementation. Just like everything else in ReactOS. ;)
Pesho

Post by Pesho »

That CFI page is great, but i'm very doubtful about how accurate it is... Like, "if we collect 1000€ will we really have USB support in 8 weeks?" It does sound very optimistic and would disappoint plenty of people if it doesn't pan out as planned...
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Thanks. Indeed, this section is completely unrealistic and was set by someone who didn't have idea what amount is required. When project was taken over by Michael Martin, he stated clearly that no deadline can be set at the present moment. Neither had he specified a sum of money needed. This http://www.reactos.org/wiki/USB_Stack page has already been updated by him, but as CFI entry was changed by someone else, it wasn't updated accordingly. Fixed that now.
wildschwein

Post by wildschwein »

Cool, Michael Martin is indeed working on USB support.

Via this link, you could see, the last comites
http://cia.vc/stats/author/mjmartin

It is good to see, that things are going on, even when they go on in small steps.... Doesn't matter, every little step from Michael Martin in USB development - a big step for the Reactos Community :-)

I am still convinced to think about to extend the "donating-system" for reactos. Not only to USB, also to other part-projects. A lot of "Joe Public" Reactosfans knows, that they can not help, because they can't code, but they are willing to give some money from time to time. Not much, but if a lot of ROS-fans give a few, a remarkable summ could be gathered.

USB could be a "demonstrative test" for a "donating system". USB is very "emotional" for Reactos-Fans, because its a important part of a break-through. I am sure, if there is a clear visible "donation-system" even more reactos-fans would spend more money from time to time.

Why not make a test and mention a amount for USB-development-donation project (inclusive project deadline) ? 2000 ? 5000 ? higher ? Lets say, if a defined summe is gathered, USB will be ready in lets say 3-4 Months ?

But I think, perhaps the main problem is, no to push some project and the developers in a "exclusive state" - why should USB developer get money, and the others nothing or less - even they are also doing VERY GOOD WORK ! I see this is a problem...yes....

If I win a million or another high amount in german "Lotto - 6 of 49" - IMMEDIATELY i will spend 10% for the whole Reactos Project...(and another 40% for africa and poor people)

I will get back with you when the time comes :-) :-) :-)
SuperDog
Translation Team

Post by SuperDog »

If we talk about say one person, $60k/yr, half-time and 4 months then you need around $10k.
wildschwein

Post by wildschwein »

Realistic estimated - in my opinion....good work should be honored !

So about 1000 Reactos fans should spend about 10 Euro/Dollar.... should not be that problem, even if reactos got more and more fans.

I am so glad to hear that Reactos Team is on "Chemitzer Linux Tage". What a pity it's far away from me.
Otherwise i would go there - not for Linux (i dont like it) but ONLY for get to know Reactos Team personally...

I hope the interest in Reactos will increase - and perhaps some skilled developers would join !
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

It would be more interesting for Reactos fans to donate if the donation process was more transparent.
For example, if the donation page included information about how much money was donated in the past year, how this money was spent, which developer who received the donation, what project was acheived, etc.

For the moment, the website asks for donation, you give money, then it goes to a "dark cloud" and you could not know if it helped at all. It is not very rewarding for the donator...
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

I admit i never heard of any developer being paid over this project. As far as i know, money is only spent on domain upkeep costs.
DangerGround
Website Coordinator

Post by DangerGround »

cmoibenlepro wrote:It would be more interesting for Reactos fans to donate if the donation process was more transparent.
For example, if the donation page included information about how much money was donated in the past year, how this money was spent, which developer who received the donation, what project was acheived, etc.

For the moment, the website asks for donation, you give money, then it goes to a "dark cloud" and you could not know if it helped at all. It is not very rewarding for the donator...
We have a site with a list of donations: http://www.reactos.org/en/foundation_donators.html