When does 0.3.12 will come out?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

SuperDog
Translation Team

Re: When does 0.3.12 will come out?

Post by SuperDog »

Any conclusions so far in this discussion ?
Aeneas

Post by Aeneas »

Some insightful and interesting ones as to the functioning and possibilities of co-operation, I would say; but as to the topic's title: none.

Or if anything, then just the usual "it's ready when it's ready", and apparently that a release is more into the future, as right now ReactOS faces major development and, to put it somewhat bluntly, developers should not let everything else rest and waste time on preparing a release in the middle of greater tasks. I.e., the idea is that the lack of a new release is not due to lack of development, but rather due to too fast development.

At least this is the way I understand it; and I am, at least for now, actually rather inclined to believe it for various reasons, i.e. I do not think this is a so-called "bullshit excuse".

Interesting ideas (not only in this thread), in my eyes, were the possibility to create a working bounty system and to split off some partial achievements of ReactOS just to show to the general public some tangible progress that indeed is hard to see unless you are more involved in ReactOS.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Yes, as i posted, i think we should create a ReactOS place where all of our pieces of code can be downloaded separetely(not just binaries but also sources and also their own repositories) so people can help in these pieces of code(CMD.exe, paint.exe,drivers,...)so anyone can download the binary to replace the MS one or to calm the curiosity about how MS could have implemented one piece of code or help fixing them. There are few Developers able to code OSes, but these piece of code(integrated in ReactOS) are really just commun Apps.And there are a lot of Apps Developers in the Net.
Mixing these Own apps(Paint.exe,spider.exe,etc...) with the System itself is hidding the possibility of Apps Developers helping in these Own Apps, which indirectly,helps ReactOS as it is an OS that uses these Own-apps.
I am currently writting this idea to send it to the Mailing List.
The idea will be based in Small repositories(each one compiles just an App) and a Big ReactOS repository(which contains everything) that will be synced with the repositories in the same way we sync with Wine.
So it will be quite easy to Download these repositories(and quite small) needing just RosBE to compile them.Maybe also this "virtual split" will help a little with the MSVC compatibility since the developers interested in one (or more) of these Small repositories can try to compile these apps under it(confirming if they can use MSVC or not) and fixing these apps to make them MSVC-compatible.
This is a sum up of the Paper i am writting now. :)
sh4ring4n

Post by sh4ring4n »

Maybe it'll get more contributors to work on it, we need more ASAP! :D
The cake is a lie!
Icy EyeG

Post by Icy EyeG »

Regarding the bounty system, ReactOS could join Power2People.org.
I don't know if it would be feasible or not, but Power2People has helped AROS to progress and get a lot of new features. So, their system works.
Well, at least it could serve of some inspiration for implementing a bounty system for ReactOS ;) .
**M**

Post by **M** »

Does it really matter when a version comes out when there are SVN builds avaliable?
Aeneas

Post by Aeneas »

Yes, it does.

It actually shows that this project is alive and "going somewhere". I believe it is even psychologically precious: thereby, there is a certain possibility of comparison of what has been reached. Otherwise, you could say that "fixing typos in dialog boxes" has been a great accomplishment; but when you have real releases, you know when such-and-such milestone has been indeed reached and published. And you know how long it took you, so you can adapt your plans of what is possible. Moreover, it ensures that people are really working on the same thing. Otherwise some strange feature will be super-advanced, while others will stay behind, and that because nobody seriously cared how they would work together in a real official release.

Besides, it would make testing of applications and other aspects of the OS more sensible. Otherwise, when person A tests application X on day 1 and person B tests X on day 2, and for A it works and for B it does not, then it will be much harder to find out why it fails for B, I assume.
Pesho

Post by Pesho »

How about just a little thing on the main page of the website showing the last 5 commits and a link to http://www.reactos.com/getbuilds/ under it. It's a simple way to show casual visitors that yes, there is plenty of development activity every day, and that they can check out the changes without having to wait for a release.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

They just have to look at the bar on the left to see daily builds....
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
fred02

Post by fred02 »

Aeneas wrote:It actually shows that this project is alive and "going somewhere". I believe it is even psychologically precious: thereby, there is a certain possibility of comparison of what has been reached.
I agree with that, especially the psychological part. Even if trunk is always the cutting edge, having some common milestone to compare with is not bad, even if some bugs will be reported "fixed in trunk" afterwards.
vicmarcal wrote:Mixing these Own apps(Paint.exe,spider.exe,etc...) with the System itself is hidding the possibility of Apps Developers helping in these Own Apps, which indirectly,helps ReactOS as it is an OS that uses these Own-apps.
I am currently writting this idea to send it to the Mailing List.
The idea will be based in Small repositories(each one compiles just an App) and a Big ReactOS repository(which contains everything) that will be synced with the repositories in the same way we sync with Wine.
Good idea. I always thought about these bundled apps as a of a "fluff" not being part of OS.
Can Wine apps be used "out of the box" on ROS now?
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

fred02 wrote:Can Wine apps be used "out of the box" on ROS now?
If you mean if you can take any Wine app from Reactos (as Winemine or Winepad) and launch it in Windows, the answer is YES. Any wine app should be working in Windows.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

He means can they be run in ReactOS. And the answer to that is no, as far as I'm aware of.
jgwright

Post by jgwright »

nor do I suspect that Firefox 3 will render properly yet.
The roadmap was cleaned up and the references to "flawless ... Firefox 3" lost. Is this still a recognized/priority goal (for 0.3.12?)?

Support for Firefox 3 will be dropped after the next update is pushed out. Can we replace all references to 'Firefox 3' with 'Firefox 3.5/3.6'? There's no notable difference regarding issues/effort?
fred02

Post by fred02 »

Z98 wrote:He means can they be run in ReactOS. And the answer to that is no, as far as I'm aware of.
Yes, exactly. I'm asking because may be it would be better to make Wine apps compatible with ROS (and Windows in general) than create yet an other re-implementation of calc, winmine and sol. :D
(I apologise before head for not knowing the current compatibility status of these apps, as I seldom use them outside their native OS/environment.)
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Z98 wrote:He means can they be run in ReactOS. And the answer to that is no, as far as I'm aware of.
Uhmm..is Wine apps==Winemine,Winepad(among others)?As far as i know they are running in ReactOS.
Which Wine apps are not running in Ros?
fred02 wrote:I'm asking because may be it would be better to make Wine apps compatible with ROS (and Windows in general) than create yet an other re-implementation of calc, winmine and sol.