ReactOS for ARM

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

jcalvarez

ReactOS for ARM

Post by jcalvarez »

Hi,

I know there is an ongoing effort to port ReactOS to the ARM architecture, is there any place I can get some information, like status, which hardware can be used etc?

Thanks,

Jose
Haos
Test Team

Re: ReactOS for ARM

Post by Haos »

Bit too early for that, it still doesn't boot iirc.
snowman4839

Post by snowman4839 »

WOW! I just realized how amazing that would be! If anyone would be willing to take the time to cross-compile using something like the OpenEmbedded Toolchain, that would open up endless opportunity on portable devices. While windows programs are generally resource hogs, the hardware that was capable would be incredible.
tgc

Post by tgc »

I just had a thought...

I've noticed that Qemu support linux-user-space-emulation, meaning that you on a linux-ppc can run a linux-x86-bin by emulating user-space, and use the native linux-ppc-kernel for kernel space operations, which gives some performance advantages compared to a full system emulation. Would it in theory be possible to do the same on a (future) reactos-arm-pc and with a reactos(win)-x86-bin? I am well aware that this is not something implemented in a few hours, and that the reactos-arm-port won't be booting for a while, but if possible, it would allow an interesting way to run x86-apps on reactos-arm.
ShakespeareFan01

Post by ShakespeareFan01 »

tgc wrote:I just had a thought...

I've noticed that Qemu support linux-user-space-emulation, meaning that you on a linux-ppc can run a linux-x86-bin by emulating user-space, and use the native linux-ppc-kernel for kernel space operations, which gives some performance advantages compared to a full system emulation. Would it in theory be possible to do the same on a (future) reactos-arm-pc and with a reactos(win)-x86-bin? I am well aware that this is not something implemented in a few hours, and that the reactos-arm-port won't be booting for a while, but if possible, it would allow an interesting way to run x86-apps on reactos-arm.
ia32 apps running on ARM makes a LOT of assumptions -

(i) Firstly, that the application is well behaved... - If it's for NT and only using the 'documented' XD API then a degree of interfacing should be possible, I am probably not qualified to comment here, but I assume by user space you mean Ring 3 code? (Ring 0 code does stuff that's
often closely linked with the processor architecture.

(ii) That it's possible to convert x86 code to ARM at runtime, dynamic recompilation of ARM -> ia32 has been done, but in the opposite direction I'm not aware of any, Also when raising the issue of PC emulation with the developers of another ARM based OS (Not reactos) I was told that providing floating point emulation/translation was an issue even for comiplers/eulators that emulated every single instruction (treating an alien app as bytecode).

(iii) Someone taking the time and effort to code the support ! - if you were volunteering - Good Luck!!
Carlo Bramix

Post by Carlo Bramix »

Hello,
it would be great if we could receive some informations for building a not-working version of ReactOS for ARM.
I have a working copy of WinCE-PE GCC 3.4.6 + latest binutils + various utilities, everything is built by me, but I'm wondering if it's enough or not and how/where I should start.
I have also built an arm-wince-pe-gcc 4.4.0 but I never used it a lot: unfortunately it does not seem to generate code as efficent as GCC 3.4.6 and it has also some troubles to link with Mobile SDK 4.2 libraries.