99 man effort.

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Haos
Test Team

Re: 99 man effort.

Post by Haos »

I so hope you will finally find this project too hopeless for you to hang on and move away towards your new victim.
zefklop
Developer

Post by zefklop »

Did you read what precedes? Statistically, there are around 30 people working actively on Reactos. Even if this is not regular, the top 10 commited 2185 changes. This is not a 5-10 people project, this is a f********* project with f******** real people working on it while you're fornicating with flies. (love this one, though not really idiomatically english)

Seriously, stop saying this is hopeless, you will drive a lot of people nuts with this attitude.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

nute wrote:Maybe this isn't a big deal, in theory a 64 bit compiler can produce a 64 bit version of
ReactOS.
Suure, tell me when you came back from Dreamland. Do you have at least the slightest Idea of what you are talking 'bout? And you say you are a Computer Scientist? Oh the Humanity....
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
SuperDog
Translation Team

Post by SuperDog »

Topics regarding slow development are inevitable.
Merge them.
jorl17

Post by jorl17 »

Cut his head ooofff!
Ubuntu

Great News!

Post by Ubuntu »

I was just scanning OSNews when I found an article about Arwiness or however you spell it...

Hey, whatever takes this OS to a Beta state faster works for me. Better to have an imperfectly compatible OS that boots up and is stable, than to worry about making it perfectly compatible and still unstable 5 years from now.

Kudos to the team for realizing what is most important! It's not visual flash, it's not perfect compatibility; it's just an OS that boots up, surfs the net, runs basic programs that people need, and doesn't crash.
RaptorEmperor

Post by RaptorEmperor »

Ubuntu wrote:I was just scanning OSNews when I found an article about Arwiness or however you spell it...

Hey, whatever takes this OS to a Beta state faster works for me. Better to have an imperfectly compatible OS that boots up and is stable, than to worry about making it perfectly compatible and still unstable 5 years from now.

Kudos to the team for realizing what is most important! It's not visual flash, it's not perfect compatibility; it's just an OS that boots up, surfs the net, runs basic programs that people need, and doesn't crash.
Here's the link:

http://www.osnews.com/story/22750/React ... _Subsystem
nute

Post by nute »

Can we get back to head counts? That is the real point of this thread. I am concerned that this project is too much for less than a dozen
people to advance it in their spare time. Even if there are 35 developers where only 10 of them do significant work, that isn't enough.

This project is going to be hopelessly slow if only 10 people work on it in their spare time unless these 10 people are regularly performing miracles.
There is a cost issue as well. Every day that ReactOS doesn't reach Beta is another day that this web site has to be funded among other things like
the servers that host it. Without a Beta, ReactOS arguably has a very small installation base. It isn't accepted as a system that can be a drop in
replacement for Windows 7 yet.

I don't see why there can't be a developers drive. Start a wiki if one doesn't exist on how to understand the ReactOS code base and what to read
if you can join in.

As far as throwing insults at me that I'm no computer scientist, how does that increase the developer base? Okay, so people can list applications
that sort of work that didn't work at all in the past, but to say that ReactOS is stable at this point is pushing it a lot. As far as the you don't understand
64 bit computing and it's more than just a compiler change, well I guess that depends on how ReactOS is coded now doesn't it? More bits simply means
that you can represent larger numbers and longer strings. It might also mean that you can do say 2 32 bit operations in parallel. Arwinss according to the
latest newsletter is not a replacement for win32 nor is it going to be perfect. ReactOS is still very much in alpha state where calling me stupid because I
point that out isn't going to improve matters.

ReactOS developers can be potentially from anywhere in the world. There are 5 billion or so people in the world where probably at least 2 billion have access to a computer and the Internet. Of those people who have computer access, a significant but smaller number can program.

Let's say that there are 500 million people in the world who can program decently. Surely the ReactOS team can attract 100 of them.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

I told you that long time ago. Show us its possible by attracting just a single kernel or win32 dev.
RaptorEmperor

Post by RaptorEmperor »

nute wrote: Let's say that there are 500 million people in the world who can program decently. Surely the ReactOS team can attract 100 of them.
Nute, that means that a little over 1/14 of humanity knows programming work. I'm doubtful that that many people know how to program, let alone know how to program operating systems.

Many of our problems running applications involve Win32. Arwinss will give us a working Win32, one that is being maintained by hundreds of Wine devs. That way, we can show off a ReactOS that actually runs applications like they should run and the developers we do have can concentrate on other parts of the operating system. We don't have that many developers for ReactOS, but by using code from other projects we can effectively utilize the manpower of those projects.

We do need more programmers regardless, but you don't seem too interested in recruiting, so why are you whining about it so constantly?

Making a 64-bit program isn't necessarily as simple as compiling it in a 64-bit compiler. Neither is programming for multi-core processors. You have to reprogram the software to use the hardware, and that's not even including writing compatibility modes for 32-bit software.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

RaptorEmperor wrote:
nute wrote: Let's say that there are 500 million people in the world who can program decently. Surely the ReactOS team can attract 100 of them.
Nute, that means that a little over 1/14 of humanity knows programming work.
Recheck the calculations :) I think there is something wrong... 8)
RaptorEmperor

Post by RaptorEmperor »

vicmarcal wrote:
RaptorEmperor wrote:
Nute, that means that a little over 1/14 of humanity knows programming work.
Recheck the calculations :) I think there is something wrong... 8)
Well, there are approximately 6.8 billion people in the world, 500 million is a half a billion. Round up 6.8 to 7 billion, divide by 500 million, and you get 14. Therefore, by Nute's calculations, 1/14 of humanity knows how to program. Now the question is "How many of these programmers program in C?"

Hey, if we wrote ReactOS in Python, we could just type "import programmers" and get new programmers. :P
b4dc0d3r

Post by b4dc0d3r »

concern troll is concerned.
dark

Post by dark »

Haos wrote:
Anyway, there are millions of applications for windows and we're talking about maybe 50 applications. The sample size for an accurate representation of progress would likely be at least 400 applications, and I don't think it's possible to get that much testing right now.
Does the lack of proper proof defend your case and stands against mine? I dont think so.
No, it means there isn't any evidence either way. Also, haven't all the applications mentioned needed people to work on each specific case to get them working? If you haven't noticed, you've lost your objectivity and seem similar to the Linux fans here. If it switches from people working on specific applications to people working on general parts and many applications starting to work, then I'll believe there's significant progress.
livestrong2109

Post by livestrong2109 »

Well, there are approximately 6.8 billion people in the world, 500 million is a half a billion. Round up 6.8 to 7 billion, divide by 500 million, and you get 14. Therefore, by Nute's calculations, 1/14 of humanity knows how to program. Now the question is "How many of these programmers program in C?"

Hey, if we wrote ReactOS in Python, we could just type "import programmers" and get new programmers.

Not to offend anyone though...
This is by far the most ass backward f...ed up method of arithmetic I've ever see. How the hell do you conclude that 1/14th of humanity knows how to code when 3/5 of humanity doesn't even own a computer and what age of that is actually at an age of having learned to program.

I think your looking at something closer to 3-5% of the world population so at best 1/50 people

God Almighty if Nasa Used Your math... We would all be russian right now!
No offense to our Russian Friends, I'm referring to the space race.
Wesley Howard
ROS Contributor - Web Developer