Legal Issues

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

Saber-Vothron

Legal Issues

Post by Saber-Vothron »

Just a stupid question....
Is the reactos project legal ?I mean trying to do a os that looks like windows,being compatible with windows applications etc.If its ever finished it will be great but microsoft will sure move legally against it...
chorns

Yes

Post by chorns »

Yes, ReactOS is legal.
StopTCPA2

Legal

Post by StopTCPA2 »

"Yes, ReactOS is legal."

Does MR. B.G. know about ReactOS ?

Does he like it ? :mrgreen:
tomleem

Simlar Case In Past!

Post by tomleem »

Apple once tried to sue Microsoft since Windows was similar in apprearance to Apples os. They did not win. As long as ROS isn't using any Windows source code, Microsoft should not be able to sue ROS. They will probably try or similar methods against ROS as they did with IBM's OS/2 or are using against Linux (what some would call FUD; fear, untruth, deceit).

8)
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
Gedi

Re: Legal

Post by Gedi »

StopTCPA2 wrote: Does MR. B.G. know about ReactOS ?

Does he like it ?
You would have to assume that Microsoft are well aware of ROS.
As to whether they like it or not, well there's 2 ways of looking at it.

MS see a potential threat and are keeping their eye on it.
MS see it as a good thing to help keep potential future open source converts away from Linux and in a Windows environment.
tomleem

'We Are Watching You' (from the Congo movie).

Post by tomleem »

* MS see a potential threat and are keeping their eye on it.

Thie one above is probably more true than the below. MS likes being a monopoly and probably rather have total control than to let some other Win-compatible os taking away even a small share of their domain, even if the Win-compatible software uses non-os Win products.

* MS see it as a good thing to help keep potential future open source converts away from Linux and in a Windows environment.
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
Gedi

Re: 'We Are Watching You' (from the Congo movie).

Post by Gedi »

tomleem wrote:* MS see a potential threat and are keeping their eye on it.

Thie one above is probably more true than the below. MS likes being a monopoly and probably rather have total control than to let some other Win-compatible os taking away even a small share of their domain, even if the Win-compatible software uses non-os Win products.
If that is so, then why have MS never batted an eyelid at wine?

There are some things to be gained from Linux users running MS products, in the same way there are some good arguments for an open source compatable system.

I'm not saying MS _are_ happy about ROS, I don't think any of us know for sure either way.
Davethewave

Post by Davethewave »

If ReactOS was an emulator I'm sure MS could some how find a way to block it but being how ROS uses only new code never taken from MS I don't see how they could block it. As far as it appears to me, ROS is fully legal (but I'm not a Lawyer) ;) I wonder why no ones makes a UniOS that is universal-compatable with Apple programs, MS programs and Linux programs.. I know nothing about developing so I can't see why it isn't done, I'm sure there's a good reason though.