Which NTFS Versions to support initially?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

stilyan

we have ntfs driver

Post by stilyan »

Microsoft wrote NTFS drive.ROS is (will be) driver compatible so use this driver.
MadRat

Post by MadRat »

Someone mentioned a translation naming layer either early on here or in another thread covering much the same topic. Netware does a daemon that allows unix to read files on a dos volume, and vice versa where dos can read a unix-compatible volume. I'd be much more interested in a Netware-like (but LDAP not eDirectory) client clone to breeze by the need for an NTFS hack that will never quite be there.

Furthermore, too bad its so easy for all of us non-programmers to come up with needs and so hard to cough up the code. I'm flattened by some of the comments this past month where non-involved people are demanding this and that. I'd rather be patient, sit back and offer ideas freely from criticism whether we agree with the plan or not, and just wait to see what surprises are in store for ROS than to derail the project with irrational demands like that. :)
Go Huskers!
Bond007s

ntvfs or NTFS 1.2

Post by Bond007s »

IT would be a good idea to take one of these filesystems made for linux and convert them into fully functional filesystems in ReactOS. Then any other options could be added, like more advanced options of more advanced filesystems like NTFS 3.0. However at least ReactOS would have a file system with Security Descriptors built in, this is especially important as Security is slowly becomming a reality in ReactOS and lets face it, FAT does not meet the needs. It would be more wise to make a filesystem as close to NTFS, but not NTFS. As more is discovered of NTFS 3.0, that could be added into the project.

ReactOS needs a Security Driver. So I believe that that is why this issue is such an issue. For ReactOS to be compatible with Windows, it needs to share some of the basic Security Descriptors as Windows does, at least so programs don't die endlessly and to avoid other problems. So I like the idea of using ntvfs or ntfs 1.2. I even mentioned in the FAT page that a subgroup could develop the Filesystem driver and then sync it with ReactOS on occassion.

Any thoughts?
TwoTailedFox

Post by TwoTailedFox »

MadRat wrote:Furthermore, too bad its so easy for all of us non-programmers to come up with needs and so hard to cough up the code.
NTFS 1.2 code can be obtained ^^
oiaohm

NTFS 1.2 does not fix problems.

Post by oiaohm »

Ntfs spec changes between version.

64 bit filesystem support is in the current one.

So a 32 bit support filesystem driver accessing a 64 bit one will not work.

Basicly NTFS 1.2 will not get you verry far in a years time.
steveh

NTFS / FAT

Post by steveh »

Three big disadvantages of FAT:
- no security
- limited to 2GB
- no journaling features

FAT32 is not limited to 2GB, but linux kernel support for FAT32 is limited to 2GB!! So you have a big problem if you have a >2GB FAT32 partition for Reactos, and a linux on the same machine.

Using the original NTFS driver from Microsoft is LEGAL if a WinNT4 / Win2000 / XP is LEGALLY INSTALLED on the same machine as reactos.

It's ILLEGAL to copy an Microsoft NTFS driver from another windows machine to a machine which has no windows installation.
Gasmann

Re: NTFS / FAT

Post by Gasmann »

steveh wrote:FAT32 is not limited to 2GB, but linux kernel support for FAT32 is limited to 2GB!! So you have a big problem if you have a >2GB FAT32 partition for Reactos, and a linux on the same machine.
Huh? I've never heard of that before and have absolutely no problems in reading and writing to a 16gb fat32 partition in linux.
Maybe you mean FAT16, that's normally limited to 2GB but can also be upto 4GB with 64kb clusters, I don't know if linux supports that (but I think so).
Harteex

Post by Harteex »

There's no 2GB limit on the partition, but FAT32 doesn't support a single file that is 2GB+ iirc
Gasmann

Post by Gasmann »

Harteex wrote:There's no 2GB limit on the partition, but FAT32 doesn't support a single file that is 2GB+ iirc
That's not correct, it doesn't support single files bigger than 4GB.
MadRat

Post by MadRat »

But Windows doesn't support them over 2GB...
Go Huskers!
Gasmann

Post by Gasmann »

MadRat wrote:But Windows doesn't support them over 2GB...
Well, I haven't tested with all versions of Windows, but I can gurantee win 2000 supports up to 4gb file size on fat32 partitions, and I think other versions do so too. Here's an article about it.
MadRat

Post by MadRat »

I cannot create single >2GB disk images in ISO or GHO format using FAT32 or NTFS.
Go Huskers!
Gasmann

Post by Gasmann »

MadRat wrote:I cannot create single >2GB disk images in ISO or GHO format using FAT32 or NTFS.
LOL if you can't on NTFS too, you see it's not a fs limitation... otherwise you could create your image on NTFS since it has no (or at least a very high) file size limit. I don't know what you mean with "ISO or GHO" but it's definately possible to store single files up to 4gb on fat32 partitions.

btw. I must apologise myself I have trifted away this thread from it's topic... :oops:
Blaskowicz

Post by Blaskowicz »

Yes, it may be a FS limitation. not from FAT or NTFS, but from ISO 9660 :) : that's the FS of CD and DVD, and it supports file size up to 2GB.

if you still can't create a > 2GB iso using only "small" files, then I don't know. the iso file itself can be well over 2GB.