just new

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

Duckman

just new

Post by Duckman »

I'm new to ReactOS. I do have some experiants with linux and BSD distro's. In the faq i read that ReactOS has his own kernel. Is the kernel more MS based or more Unix based (like MNIX,BSD,Linux etc). And the desktop environment GIU is also a new delopped one I see, or is it like KDE, Gnome?
I downloaded it and wil test is sone on my test laptop, and probably will have some more questions.
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

Frontpage wrote: ReactOS® is a free, modern operating system based on the design of Windows® XP/2003. Written completely from scratch, it aims to follow the Windows® architecture designed by Microsoft from the hardware level right through to the application level. This is not a Linux based system, and shares none of the unix architecture.
Duckman

Re: just new

Post by Duckman »

Looks a half year a go now. :oops: But finely i'm installing ReactOS 3.10. Lets see what it can do. Do i need antivirussoftware, extra firewall, spy ware detector etc or is ReactOS saver than the MS OS systemes?
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

We used a simpler methode, viruses doesnt work in ROS, unfortunately.
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

Haos wrote:We used a simpler methode, viruses doesnt work in ROS, unfortunately.
looooooooooool - this one good thing that ROS is still alpha
RaptorEmperor

Post by RaptorEmperor »

ReactOS aims to be a functioning clone of Windows NT, just as Linux cloned UNIX. Thus, the kernel will be a functioning clone of the Windows NT kernel. The GUI is not KDE or Gnome, but a new one written from scratch. The current GUI is rather buggy, though, and is aimed to be replaced with a new one (explorer_new, if you look in the ReactOS directory) when we hit 0.4.0. As a Linux and BSD user, you should be familiar with Wine. Whereas Wine is a compatibility layer, translating Windows calls into Linux calls to run Windows applications, ReactOS aims to implement the entire Windows operating system. This will allow us to run Windows applications and drivers. The goal is that if it runs in Windows, it should run in ReactOS.

However, many of the security issues with Windows are not as much architectural issues but issues with implementation. For example, the many instances where Internet Explorer was used to as a backdoor to break Windows, and setting all profiles in Windows XP as Administrator by default. While ultimately ReactOS may become vulnerable to the same viruses as a Windows install, the way ReactOS is implemented should help deter it.

ReactOS is currently alpha-build software. I wouldn't bet on anti-virus or firewall software to work just yet, though you may have some luck. I also would suggest running it in a virtual machine as opposed to real hardware if you really want to get a feel for ReactOS, as the hardware support isn't the greatest right now. However, if you do decide to try and run software on ReactOS, or run ReactOS on real hardware (both of which I do), submitting compatibility reports is always appreciated.

Oh, and welcome to ReactOS! :D
darren

Re:new to react os

Post by darren »

Hi

Just found this looking at alternatives for windows.
So this o/s once finished will run windows programs.....wow
Make microsoft rethink.
i'm no programmer. But if can work like windows install windows programs act like windows. I would support this 100%
I believe for this to work it must look and feel like windows so people feel similar with it.
Maybe have a option for classic view, aero view , mac feel.
It should have all the app that are offered in windows.
swight

Post by swight »

So far I think classic view is the only view. For some of the others, I think the developers are planning to let the users take care of it once theme support is up to it. The non-classic desktops may end up only in distros while the core remains classic only. I am not an authority on any of this. just someone who watches the forum a lot.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

The plan is to provide all stuff a XP Version has by default, too. So, Themes, too. Not now and not in the very near furture, but it will come.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...