Some General Inqueries...

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Mastadex

Some General Inqueries...

Post by Mastadex »

I've been following ReactOS for a while. But just out of curiosity, could someone answer some of these questions for me:

- Will DirectX10 and above ever be supported?
- Will the new driver model available in Vista/Win7 be supported?
- Is ReactOS x64 compatible?
- Will ReactOS have the 'newer' processor scheduling that is available in Vista/Win7? Or is it only based on the WinXp/2K3 Kernel?

Thanks for your time.
The123king

Re: Some General Inqueries...

Post by The123king »

Yes
Probably, in time, but not now
x64 branch is under development. I think it can boot but not much more. Currently released ReactOS is IA32 (x86) only.
Reactos is based on thw win2003 kernel, but enhancements from newer OSes may at some point be added.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

I dont think ReactOS would work on Itanium (IA32)... Trunk is for x86 only, with ARM porting being done from some time.
A branch for x86-64 is being developed, but it still requires much work before reaching the functionality of trunk. Right now ReactOS is based on 2003 kernel. All new features you mentioned will be possibly implemented, but not in the near future.
preston
Developer

Post by preston »

Right now we completely rely on Wine when it comes to directx support. You can check their status here http://www.winehq.org/status/directx.
Ganimoth

Post by Ganimoth »

Haos: IA-32 is not Itanium, which is IA-64. IA-32 is the same as x86. :)
Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

Ganimoth wrote:Haos: IA-32 is not Itanium, which is IA-64. IA-32 is the same as x86. :)
That is correct.
swight

Post by swight »

Here is another question that seems related. Will ReactOs run on a 64-bit processor as a 32-bit operating system like Windows XP/Vista 32-bit versions work on 64-bit processors?
RideBMX

Post by RideBMX »

swight wrote:Will ReactOs run on a 64-bit processor as a 32-bit operating system
I believe it currently can, but will only use one core due to issues with the multi-processor code.
Join a community effort and help the Wiki.
doomonyou

Post by doomonyou »

RideBMX wrote:
swight wrote:Will ReactOs run on a 64-bit processor as a 32-bit operating system
I believe it currently can, but will only use one core due to issues with the multi-processor code.
That's correct, I run it with a Core 2.
cppm

Post by cppm »

RideBMX wrote:
The number of cores a processor has is nothing to do with whether it's 64bit or 32bit surely...?
The123king

Post by The123king »

cppm wrote:
RideBMX wrote:
The number of cores a processor has is nothing to do with whether it's 64bit or 32bit surely...?
What he means, is that ReactOS can only use one processor/core at the moment, regardless of if it's a 64bit Core2Quad or a 32bit dual PIII
Ey3

Post by Ey3 »

cppm wrote:
RideBMX wrote:
No, these two things aren't related, but 64bit support has come with dual core processors, they're just syncronous technology developements ;)
Ex. QuadCore CPUs aren't 128bit processors :D
cppm

Post by cppm »

Ah right. Well that makes sense. I was just being picky :D
preston
Developer

Post by preston »

this went slightly offtopic.. I think the original question was answered and we can all move on :-)
reub2000

Post by reub2000 »

Ey3 wrote:
cppm wrote: I believe it currently can, but will only use one core due to issues with the multi-processor code.
No, these two things aren't related, but 64bit support has come with dual core processors, they're just syncronous technology developements ;)
Ex. QuadCore CPUs aren't 128bit processors :D[/quote]
No, they where 2 seperate developments. AMD created amd64 on single core processors, and the original Pentium D was a 32-bit processor.

Edit:No I was wrong. The Pentium D did support amd64. However, my computer is using a Athlon 64 3000+, a single core processor with only one core. There are plenty of systems out there that support amd64 but with only a single core. So you can't assume that a 64-bit cpu has more than one core. So my point still stands.