Nute's Private Playground

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

nute

Nute's Private Playground

Post by nute »

I've been told that I ask the same questions over and over and that I don't understand that there are no deadlines.

Hmm, if there are truly no deadlines than ReactOS is a dying project. I hope 0.3.11 comes out by the end of
the year or sooner.

I don't ask the same questions over and over. I'm not asking for example when 0.3.10 is going to come out.
I don't ask the same question without waiting a reasonable length of time. The 0.3.11 end of October thread
that got locked was one I left alone before it got locked.

There is another newsletter, but it doesn't cover what needs to happen for a 0.3.11 release. Clearly, there
is some work being done that should probably be part of 0.3.11 like replacing the FAT implementation with
a better one. If networking is finally getting attention, I hope it gets more stable and functional soon.

I hope someone updates the page that says expect 0.3.11 at the end of October.

As far as developers not wanting the discussion boards to exist, what would be the impact if they disappeared?

If developers don't want to answer questions on the discussion boards, why are they going to want to answer
questions on IRC or a mailing list?

I notice that Firefox 3 doesn't work yet, the fonts are still screwed up. Firefox 2 is close to working right though.
Does Firefox 3 have to work before 0.3.11 comes out?

As far as saying I don't understand how hard it is to code. I am a computer scientist, so I certainly have some idea.

What needs to happen between now and 0.3.11? What is the the next release after 0.3.11?

What would it take to get the developers to blog at least once a week?
zefklop
Developer

Re: ReactOS 0.3.11 progress...

Post by zefklop »

I'm starting to think that you really like that...

I think that this is the first time that I answer to you, but I follow the forum quite regularly.
Hmm, if there are truly no deadlines than ReactOS is a dying project. I hope 0.3.11 comes out by the end of
the year or sooner.
A dying project? From what I know of you, you won't accept the "this is opensource and developers don't get paid for it" argument. So, instead of it :
The last message was received 4.89 hours ago at 06:26 on Nov 01, 2009
5 messages so far today, 30 messages yesterday
131 messages so far this week, 169 messages last week
5 messages so far this month, 644 messages last month
30419 messages since the first one, 4.88 years ago, for an average of 1.4 hours between messages
That's what http://cia.vc/stats/project/ReactOS gives me right now. Dying?
The fact that there is no deadline could reflect the fact that devs are working on something new. Yesterday, Physicus (win32k dev) gave a patch on IRC which was quite impressive. If you had hung out there, you'd know it and you could test it. Guess what? I'm testing it and I have some things to tell him about it!

Just please speak about something that you know about, and don't tell us that this project is dying! Please consider that no deadline could simply mean : we work on something that we can't release right now, but we don't know when it is done.
Angelus

Post by Angelus »

Dear nute:

First of all, never say that an open-source project is dead, just say "it's in stand by" as long as source code is available for everyone.

Don't say that ReactOS is dying just because there's no commits in one day. It doesn't mean that people is not working on it. Ideas don't fall from the sky. Developers do need to investigate and to design how to code the implementations they are working on to be full compatible with the win32 architecture.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Did I read right??! DYING??

Small progress information:
janderwald works on DSound Support.
jimtabor and Fireball work on the win32k subsystem. Both from different standpoints, but both with the same aim.
aicom is still working on the network stack and now is updating winsock.
hpoussin works on freeldr.
ahill works on a new GUI, which means fixing shell and explorer_new to really rock.
lsuggs works on nslookup.

etcetcetc. Really dead, isnt it??!
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Geoz

Post by Geoz »

Dear Nute,

There truly is no concrete deadline, nor will there be in the foreseeable future. Seizing on this and jumping to assume the project has died however, is quite a logical leap. Development of ReactOS is still assuredly continuing.

As pointed out by zefklop, progress can be tracked here; http://cia.vc/stats/project/ReactOS

Bleeding edge builds of ReactOS created by Buildbot can he downloaded here; http://www.reactos.org/getbuilds

Access to the different aspects of the ReactOS Source is contained in the wiki;
http://www.reactos.org/wiki/Subversion# ... he_sources

Regards.
florian

Post by florian »

And again: Please read the text of the main page:

"The next release will be 0.3.11, with an earliest projected release date being end of October, 2009."

The release can also be at later date, e.g. middle of november. No sweat!
ironek69

Post by ironek69 »

Complaining is easy. What's the difference if it is called 0.3.11 or r4xxxx?
aicommander
Developer

Post by aicommander »

nute wrote: Hmm, if there are truly no deadlines than ReactOS is a dying project. I hope 0.3.11 comes out by the end of
the year or sooner.
We really are trying to stick to our release schedule but there are certain bugs that we think should be fixed before releasing. Whether we release now or in 3 months (not at all saying that we will) work still continues and ROS gets better and better every day. If you would like to see our daily progress, you can watch http://cia.vc/stats/project/ReactOS and download trunk builds from http://reactos.org/getbuilds
ReactOS Networking Developer
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
fireball
Developer

Post by fireball »

nute wrote:Hmm, if there are truly no deadlines than ReactOS is a dying project.
I will take responsibilty on myself, as one who tries to manage this project. We have a big team consisting of many many people, who came into our project with one goal: make a free, opensource operating system. Our project works fully on these people's drive, energy. It doesn't work from someone being paid to work on it.

I do my best to motivate people, to make their ReactOS-work enjoyable, however, these people have a life, and a paid work. Hence, it's very hard to plan when a certain bug is going to be fixed or when our release engineer has time to make a test ISO, or when our testing team can perform full testing. It would be very nice to stick to deadlines, and that's the goal we are approaching, however it doesn't always happen.
nute wrote:There is another newsletter, but it doesn't cover what needs to happen for a 0.3.11 release. Clearly, there
is some work being done that should probably be part of 0.3.11 like replacing the FAT implementation with
a better one. If networking is finally getting attention, I hope it gets more stable and functional soon.
The newsletter really covers current (past) development and other activities in the project. Usually, release preparation communication is being done in a mailing list.
nute wrote:I notice that Firefox 3 doesn't work yet, the fonts are still screwed up. Firefox 2 is close to working right though.
Does Firefox 3 have to work before 0.3.11 comes out?
No.
nute wrote:What would it take to get the developers to blog at least once a week?
Blogging takes time, which is a valuable resource for our developers. Maybe we could provide more information that the newsletters, but it requires someone gathering and writing this information.
Aleksey Bragin,
ReactOS Project Lead
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

Blogging takes time, which is a valuable resource for our developers. Maybe we could provide more information that the newsletters, but it requires someone gathering and writing this information.
Why don't you let people gave the job of releasing news, etc.
Someone who knows about the OS, but is not as good in coding.
He/She could Write Newsletters evey week (or every 2) getting the infos from cia.vc and IRC and testing byself.
So many people ask how they could help, this would be something someone could do too.
test/check commits/read IRC thenm write a newsletter, send it to fireball or emuandco that they can verify it and release it.
So you don_'t have the work, you just look at the work of other people
greenie

Post by greenie »

I don't understand what happened. There was an interesting topic about deadlines. From it I felt we discussed things and came up with some perspective about release dates and PR. Since then there seems to be a new topic with a similar title created every week.

I suppose it's good to know that there are passionate people following this project.

As for the "earliest projected release date" on the main page. It would be nice if it was in the future. First time I came here it was in the past. I thought the project was dead. As this is a trait of a dead project. Though having looked at forums and progress I know that is not the case.

Maybe we should get rid of the "earliest projected release date" or maybe stop versions untill 0.4.0
Because these topics are getting old fast.

O also I like to thank the devs and everyone who participates in helping reactos. I feel it does not get said enough. I hear allot criticism that is probably due to peoples enthusiasm. Not much thanking though.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

There was a team discussion on those issues, one of the better ideas was to issue and upkeep a stickied thread dedicated to upcoming release, where all discussion, q/a should take place. At least it`ll be all in one.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

gonzoMD wrote:
Why don't you let people gave the job of releasing news, etc.
He/She could Write Newsletters evey week (or every 2) getting the infos from cia.vc and IRC and testing byself.
So many people ask how they could help, this would be something someone could do too.
test/check commits/read IRC thenm write a newsletter, send it to fireball or emuandco that they can verify it and release it.
And what do you think I'm currently doing?
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

gonzoMD wrote: Why don't you let people gave the job of releasing news, etc.
Are you offering yourself to help Zwabbit?Because saying "someone","perhaps","could"...just leads to nowhere. ;)
We have asked many times for helping, and usually people tries to hide.We arent going to lose time unhidding them. You can see with the Design Thread: There were a lot of people saying our explorer.exe needs better graphics, willing to join a Design team...and i see really few movement of all of them.
People usually hides with the excuse "i dont know how to code" (as if coding were just the only thing in a big project as this one) while they could help testing 1 App each week.(1 app each week*3000 forum users=3000 apps each week)or sending a Newsletter each month (1 news*3000 forum users=3000 newsletter at month).
Reality is that nowadays we just have Zwabbit for doing this job,and noone has offered to help him.
The Community experience would be much better if the "Community" helps...
And little by little i see movement inside this forum:
People who posts possible European Papers which could be useful for us...
People trying to give possible solutions(as you) to improve the Community experience (instead just complain)
And people who gives another step further and helps in a visible way as XChaos did creating a Design Forum..
I think that little by little the whole Community(which is the mix of Devs+Testers+Helpers+Translators+Forum Users) is discovering that the Community experience isnt created just by the Devs but also by oneself,beginning with the guy that reads the threads without giving his opinion and finishing with the most active Developer.
This project is quite open and, indeed better, flexible.Flexible to any ideas to improve the Community experience.Flexible to find a small task that you can develop to help the Community Experience.
But again, Community Experience is created by the Community.And the Community is NOT just the DEVs. ;)

The biggest group inside the Community is Forum users, so dont look in what the Devs are doing to improve the Community Experience,and begin asking yourself (as a Forum user) how i can help to improve the Community experience.
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

hi

imho the best whay to stop threads like this is to create a stickied with the answers to the most commonly asked questions and if someone asks one of the questions that is in the most commonly asked questions stickie the threads get locked and a linkd is added to most commonly asked questions stickie and the form rules are updated to tell the users to read the commonly asked questions stickie before asking a question