ReactOS 0.3.11 and end of October...

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Ged
Developer

Re: ReactOS 0.3.11 and end of October...

Post by Ged »

Otiose wrote:Anyway, Nute is a user - translate that to a customer. He may not be paying for anything, but ReactOS's adoption will suffer if users aren't treated a little better.

I'm well aware that it can be frustrating for the developers to get these questions all the time, but if you can't give a polite response, the best action would be to just ignore the question
Well said, you're absolutley right!!!

Unfortunatley our forums have become a very hostile place, I hope we can try to fix this in the future.

We need more people like hto in our forums
greenie

Post by greenie »

I say make a pinned topic. And also maybe a month before the deadline. Evaluate the expected next release and move the date back. I thought maybe reactos was an abonded website when I saw the estimated a release date.

I'm not saying these things as a criticism against anyone. More as a way to help reduce the frustration in the forums. Both users and developers.
Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

All said and done, it would certainly help if users actually started to think more like developers, especially given that currently ROS is more research project than consumer product. In other words, they should not be thinking "What is and is not working in this operating system?", and instead be thinking "What do I have to do other than talking in order to get this implemented, assuming it does not exist?"
nute

Post by nute »

Name calling?

You are gay. You are a 14 year old.

I am neither gay nor am I 14, but EdmuandCo said both of these things anyways.

I have a right to be upset and offended. It is unprofessional of EdmuandCo to resort
to name calling.
nute

Post by nute »

My brother-in-law is German, maybe EdmuandCo is rude because of German/American prejudice.
Perhaps there is Russian/American prejudice as well. How is ReactOS going to work as a
project if the developers demonstrate prejudice?

As far as asking the same questions over and over. No, I haven't. I've asked about 0.3.11
a reasonable number of times and at reasonable times. As far as search for all of nute's
posts and judge for yourself, how would one do that anyways? These boards are getting
absolutely huge and I for one wonder if parts of them shouldn't be purged at some point?

Maybe what needs to happen is that someone with a lot of bandwidth needs to mirror the
SVN repository and start a new project with new people to finish ReactOS.
livestrong2109

Post by livestrong2109 »

For the love of god children, I've tried for days not to touch this topic with a ten foot poll, but forget that. We are a community of developers not a bunch of whining children and From a Mod yet. Grow up and turn off War Craft for a moment. You all disgust me, and this bickering needs to end. Focus your aggression on stomping out bug, instead of flaming each other in the forums because we are all on the same team and the only way we will reach 1.0 or even 0.3.11 is by working together to build a community based OS.

Emuand if nothing else redeem yourself by locking this childish tread, I don't care who started it, enough is enough...

Christ!

As For Those Asking about the next release, check the bug reports, and watch to see when the stop bugs are fixed. If you want the latest and greatest download the nightly, asking isn't going to rush anybody. It will get done when it is done. End of Story!
Wesley Howard
ROS Contributor - Web Developer
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

nute wrote:My brother-in-law is German, maybe EdmuandCo is rude because of German/American prejudice.
Perhaps there is Russian/American prejudice as well. How is ReactOS going to work as a
project if the developers demonstrate prejudice?

Please Nute, don´t. You are pulling too tight.There isnt any prejuice since we are a wideworld community that means people of all skin colours,from all the possible nationalities,and with a mix of various religions.You can find "fights" about how to implement better something, fights about which is the best beer when coding something, or indeed fights to see who frags more inside quakelive.But i have never seen in all my time here(check when i joined) any kind of prejuice because nationalities,or religion or politics. GPL communities are known to be the "hippy" peace and love movement of the software.
Just as a final point, EdmuandCo is german and he is working with 3 Americans,2 from UK and other testers/developers/translators from other countries...and he havent had any issue or any problem with them.So no, the problem here is just with your behavior and not with your nationality.

Thanks.
Otiose

Post by Otiose »

Nute, please don't undo my defending you by being a dumbass. Your best response right now would just be silence, if it can't be positive.
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

nute wrote: Perhaps there is Russian/American prejudice as well.
I live in Russia, and can assure you that I've never met such a prejudice, even at cold war time.

There are a few developers from Russia, I can't imagine that they can have such a prejudice.
Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

nute wrote:Name calling?

You are gay. You are a 14 year old.

I am neither gay nor am I 14, but EdmuandCo said both of these things anyways.

I have a right to be upset and offended. It is unprofessional of EdmuandCo to resort
to name calling.
OI YOU LITTLE SHIT. EMUANDCO THINKS YOU'RE GAY AND LITTLE. HE DIDN'T SAY THAT YOU ACTUALLY ARE. WHAT THE HELL IS YOUR PROBLEM? DON'T UNDERSTAND ENGLISH?

FREAKING REACTIONARY.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Just face it nute, please. You earned your rep around here, every little piece of it. Can we just move on please?
Otiose

Post by Otiose »

Lone_Rifle wrote:FREAKING REACTIONARY.
And that's how ReactOS got it's motto:

ReactOS: Freaking Reactionary.

:D
Shade

Post by Shade »

After reading (and lol'zing at) this thread, I figured I'd give a shot at making an answer even if this guy is too thick to appreciate or understand it.

The reason pestering for a new ReactOS release to come out faster won't work is because of the following:

[*]ReactOS is an open source project. Unless a surplus of developers randomly shows up to develop and test new commits to the project, the release won't occur any faster. If you want the release to come out faster, submit patches and help resolve issues. If you are incapable of that (i.e. not a programmer), then give these already generous people some money so they can support their lifestyle while working on the project. After all, it's not like they're making money off of ReactOS, and they have lives of their own.

[*]They could release ReactOS faster. Hell, they could release it every day (officially) if they wanted to! Why don't they? Law of diminishing returns: just because they can make a release, doesn't insure that the quality they wanted from the release will be achieved. Just because something can be released faster doesn't mean it should. For people who can't wait and want instant gratification, there are trunk builds. That's as good as that's going to get unless more developers show up. Also, working on a fixed time frame is really only good if you stretch releases out over very long periods of time, like Ubuntu with it's 6 month releases. If that were ever implemented, it wouldn't be to the benefit of quick releases.

Don't bite the hand that feeds, or you're likely to get hit in the face with the newspaper of rejection. :)
Shade

Post by Shade »

Sorry for double posting but I felt the need to add that all I'm really doing is generalizing what everyone is trying to say. I think people need this in big, shiny letters somewhere easy to access so they stop asking. :D
livestrong2109

Post by livestrong2109 »

After reading (and lol'zing at) this thread, I figured I'd give a shot at making an answer even if this guy is too thick to appreciate or understand it.

The reason pestering for a new ReactOS release to come out faster won't work is because of the following:

[*]ReactOS is an open source project. Unless a surplus of developers randomly shows up to develop and test new commits to the project, the release won't occur any faster. If you want the release to come out faster, submit patches and help resolve issues. If you are incapable of that (i.e. not a programmer), then give these already generous people some money so they can support their lifestyle while working on the project. After all, it's not like they're making money off of ReactOS, and they have lives of their own.

[*]They could release ReactOS faster. Hell, they could release it every day (officially) if they wanted to! Why don't they? Law of diminishing returns: just because they can make a release, doesn't insure that the quality they wanted from the release will be achieved. Just because something can be released faster doesn't mean it should. For people who can't wait and want instant gratification, there are trunk builds. That's as good as that's going to get unless more developers show up. Also, working on a fixed time frame is really only good if you stretch releases out over very long periods of time, like Ubuntu with it's 6 month releases. If that were ever implemented, it wouldn't be to the benefit of quick releases.

Don't bite the hand that feeds, or you're likely to get hit in the face with the newspaper of rejection.
Well Said... Can we now please let this post die!!!
Wesley Howard
ROS Contributor - Web Developer