ReactOS 0.3.11 and end of October...

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

nute

ReactOS 0.3.11 and end of October...

Post by nute »

is coming. The main web page was updated to reflect that it hasn't come out yet, but
there isn't any information on why that is or what's going on right now. I've been trying
the latest builds built from source code that I get via svn. Firefox 2 seems to be fixed,
but firefox 3 is still not rendering correctly and I notice rendering bugs when I go through
the start menu in ReactOS, even the most recent build. Why is one thread that asks
about 0.3.11 locked yet other threads that ask about it aren't? There is a total lack of
consistency on these forums.

I gave Warcraft II BNE another try just for the heck of it. I still get an error that there isn't
enough virtual memory to run it. I haven't checked to see if the map debugger works or
not. Another obvious program to try would be the commercial version of Diablo II, but I
doubt that that will work at this point.

When is the question at install time of what the Administrator password is, when is that
going to be meaningful? How far out is implementation of different log ins?

When is ReactOS going to network smoothly? Firefox 2 seems to be fixed, but networking
seems sluggish.

When will there be tools distributed with ReactOS to automate detecting registry cruft and removing
it? Windows XP has Dr. Watson for example if I'm not mistaken.

I hear ext2 support is on the horizon. How close is ReactOS to running on an ext2 file system?
Haos
Test Team

Re: ReactOS 0.3.11 and end of October...

Post by Haos »

There is a single answer for all those questions. When its done (tm).
nute

Post by nute »

When it's done is not an answer Haos. I did more than just ask when 0.3.11 is going to come out, but I guess you can't respect that.
Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

nute wrote:When it's done is not an answer Haos. I did more than just ask when 0.3.11 is going to come out, but I guess you can't respect that.
Will you take "don't know" as an answer then?
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

Far away from now. Unless reactos will experience a sudden attack of an army of clones or computer experts and developers. :)
cuttysark

Post by cuttysark »

nute wrote:Firefox 2 seems to be fixed
Not really true, there is an regression on the latest trunk builds. I can't install Adobe flash through Firefox, altough I can do it on Ros 0.3.10.
ironek69

Post by ironek69 »

but besides regressions, i must admit, more and more software seems to work more or less in Reactos
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

nute wrote:Why is one thread that asks about 0.3.11 locked yet other threads that ask about it aren't? There is a total lack of consistency on these forums.
Because it is/was the only active thread. But with this one I have a new target. SO be careful who you insult!
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Because EmuandCo and I have different tolerances before we start locking threads.
nute

Post by nute »

I wasn't aware that asking for a time table update is an insult, especially considering that I'm asking at the end of the current time table.

So there's a firefox 2 regression, firefox 3 apparently doesn't work yet, networking is still sluggish... How about sound? How does the
ReactOS developer community decide that hey it's time to make the next major release?

Speaking of ReactOS's next major release, how about ReactX? How is that project coming along?

Why do these boards exist after all other than for people to share experiences they've had with ReactOS and ask for updates?
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Maybe because some of your posts always reflects Negativity.
And Negativity is bad for the Karma.
FF2 regressed?Well im using it widely and i didnt find any issue.Could you point me to a Bugreport?
FF3 regressed?If the regression are the fonts,we have been regressed since always.Not a new issue.
Networking sluggish? Well..maybe you want to help providing nice Debuglogs from your network cards.Or why do you say it is sluggish?
The time to release is about 2-3 months.Which means usually a 1000 commits range. The idea of releases each 2 months is to check deeply not regressions has been made while implementing other stuff. It force us(the testers) to check deeplier performing about 150 tests on it.If we were releasing each 6 months or a year, tracking the regressions would be almost impossible.
Btw, thanks for all the other stuff you missed:
*Improved sound
*VLC and other apps NOW working
*Improved SATA
*Recording
*Increased stability
*Memory Manager stability
*Win32k rewrite
And all the other stuff that doesnt deserve any line in your posts and which will increase your Good Morning KARMA.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Man. Do not try to turn around what i said! i did a nice quote in my answer to show you which part i commented! if you have a problem with my moderating, pm me and dont hide your insultions in preteen alike subtext. Even my gf starts to think youre a 14 year old girl or gay.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

To pre-empt your questions,

NO, we don't know the answer to any of your questions in your very first post,
NO, there is no fixed roadmap between each iteration,
YES, we honestly know that having no fixed roadmap or not knowing the answer to any of your questions in your very first post is a terrible manner of working ,
NO, repeated efforts from the project coordinator and a few others to get the rest of the developers to work using fixed roadmaps has not helped at all, and
NO, your incessant asking for a fixed roadmap is unlikely to work either.

Also, NO, Dr. Watson is not a CCleaner-like, it's a debugger. If you want ReactOS to have automatic registry cleaning, use CCleaner, or work out how to integrate that into the OS in your own distro. A Google search reveals that you are indeed a CS student, please put what you've learnt to use.

Anakha, it turns out he is or was from Portland State University, if you do find him talk to him. He keeps repeating his queries, it might be more effective if somebody were to give him the big picture in a face-to-face talk.

EDIT: There. a roadmap. http://www.reactos.org/wiki/Proposed_Roadmap .
Last edited by Lone_Rifle on Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nute

Post by nute »

I'm not being negative. Where am I being negative in this thread.
As far as the gay or a 14 year old comment, where is that coming from exactly?
I find that comment to be extremely rude. Maybe you should moderate yourself
Ed. Calling people gay or incredibly young is incredibly rude. I don't care what
your girlfriend thinks of me. She doesn't know me and frankly you don't either.

Concerning the you left out that VLC works comment. I didn't leave it out, I
didn't know that it is working. The last time I tried ReactOS, last night, it
was still fairly unstable.

All I've said is that I don't get why it is considered an insult to ask when the
next major release of ReactOS might come out. Information would be better
than insults and name calling thank you very much.

I haven't asked very many times about 0.3.11, so I don't get where this incessant
comment is coming from either.
Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

nute wrote:name calling
WHEN???
NUTE, STOP POSTING OUT OF SHEER REACTION AND START READING. ALSO, IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHERE THE INCESSANT COMMENT IS COMING FROM, THEN DROP THE WORD INCESSANT. THE RESULTING SENTENCE STILL MAKES SENSE.
Last edited by Lone_Rifle on Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.