1.0.0 ETA

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Ubuntu

1.0.0 ETA

Post by Ubuntu »

Hey all,

I just wanted to start a friendly thread - not a criticism thread - asking the developers when they estimate ReactOS will reach version 1.0.0. I know that no one knows for sure, and there are always delays. But I think it would be interesting for everyone who follows the project to have an idea of when it may finally reach that version number.

I read one post prior where - I believe - a developer posted an estimate of ReactOS becoming Beta by the time the 2010 Olympics occur. Another post I read tonight - not a developer - estimated the project not being complete until 2018 (yikes!).

This would just be an estimate based on how fast the project is advancing now. At the rate the project is advancing now, we suspect it to be complete by "20__"

There are a lot of people holding their breath waiting for this project to be complete. Perhaps a distant estimate will help them to realize that they should move on with life in the meantime instead of hoping it's done tomorrow.

Ubuntu
Nintendo Maniac 64

Re: 1.0.0 ETA

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 »

Just an FYI, you're probably going to get a lot of flack for asking this.

The safest way to ask this and still get a response would be something like:
"For 1.0.0, are we talking like next maybe 3-5 years, or like 10 to 15+ years?"
Ubuntu

Post by Ubuntu »

I know I may get flack, but it's not my intention to cause grief. I just think it may take some of the pressure off the developers if the general public have a more realistic view of just how much longer this project will take to reach version 1.0.0. It will also help people to plan what they are going to do in the future operating system wise.
Ubuntu

Post by Ubuntu »

If the project is going to take 10-15+ years as you mentioned Nintendo Maniac 64, then a lot of people - including me - will stop holding their breath.
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

«Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed.»
Pesho

Post by Pesho »

It's really tough to predict accurately. Considering we project with the current development speed and capacity, i'd say 1.0 will be reached in 7 to 10 years. But given the importance of this project, and the fact that actual results are being acheived each couple of months, i'd say that the project could acheive some exponential growth. Other "windows clone" projects have failed miserably in the past, which is in part why people are so skeptical about ROS. Once the harder work is done and "user goodies" start appearing (like full USB, audio, FS and networking support), more people should come on board, and that would speed things up. So the success of this project will depend greatly on how much of a reputation it has of "something that really works".
cuttysark

Post by cuttysark »

I agree with Pesho, USB and networking support would help ROS to have an exponential growth, even without stability or working apps.
Witch

Post by Witch »

Code: Select all

ReactOS ETA?
Error - Cannot compute!
But if you like to rely on statistics then this might help in upholding any sort of illusions.
If it has taken around 1234 person years to not even reach halfways 0.5. Then it would take at least another 1234 person years to reach 1.0. But you know statistics is only flat information without that extra dimension that helps in telling the whole story. ;)

ReactOS Cocomo
http://www.ohloh.net/p/reactos/widgets

Effort (est.) 1234 Person Years

cruonit

Post by cruonit »

I think if Reactos reaches a usable point ((usb, networking, sound) - very near), some stability, ntfs, and of course office 2007 ;)) the community will rise and also the number of developers and funding companies (I see some are already interested).
Windows has a big feature for ReactOS and it's called backward compatibility :)

It's sad that Google stopped the GSoC support for ReactOS but i think that's politics.

At some point ReactOS will be able to run the .Net framework not public but every user private and the number of java/.net apps it incrasing but still the frameworks need the API like native applications.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

You may avoid any flack, but you're not going to get any estimates that are worth a damn either, because few if any of the developers are willing to commit to a timeframe.
The123king

Post by The123king »

Honestly, the best estimate is any time between now and never. The 1.0.0 release could be next year for all we know. On a sensible timeframe, expect it in 5-10 years. Come back in 3 and we should be in useable beta ;)
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 »

So basically when Duke Nukem Forever comes out. :P
steveh

Re: 1.0.0 ETA - ready on April 5, 2014 and just in time...

Post by steveh »

My crystal sphere shows that Reactos 1.0.0 will most likely be rolled out around April 5, 2014,
just in time to replace the uncounted "never dying" and still popular Windows XP installations around the world, which will reach their end of life / end of security patch support by Microsoft, on Apri 8, 2014 ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP ... ifecycle-1

And this "birth-date" will be an extraordinary opportunity for Reactos to become very popular worldwide.

And I guess that the last pre-release-candidate status Reactos 0.9.9.4 will be out in February 2014.

And please don't interpret my roadmap guess as a joke, a critics or anything negative. I say this absolutely seriously.
fred02

Post by fred02 »

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:So basically when Duke Nukem Forever comes out. :P
Keep faith, little grasshopper! :lol:
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

If we could get that 1.0 patch Filip has then we could release next week.