Web Server for RoS

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Julcar

Web Server for RoS

Post by Julcar »

I am learning web development, I am fan of Microsoft web technologies (ASp.Net, IIS, SQL Server, ADO/ADO.Net, etc) and I would like might see an emulation of this in RoS.

I was searching a web server that have an gui like IIS, and I found Pi3Webhttp://pi3web.sourceforge.net/pi3web/ an web server mixted with GUI and config files. That web server accept cgi and fastcgi, and the best... it's GPL.

about ASP.Net i found that mono can be installed successfully in RoS, but when I tryed to open XSP they don't response.

And finally, about database, i was thinking that Sqlite can be the database system by default for ReactOS (firefox already uses it) also, you can see in http://sourceforge.net/projects/sqlite-dotnet2/ for more info.

Excuse my english, in order i am from sudamerica and my first language it's the spanish :P
vicmarcal
Test Team

Re: Web Server for RoS

Post by vicmarcal »

Hi Julcar,

Seems to be a quite nice Webserver.In the new Downloader you can find a link to another webserver called Abyss WebServer, it has fastcgi support too. Give it a look, it is light,freeware and aicom (our network dev) has tested it with "great" results.
Julcar

Post by Julcar »

Yeah, but Abyss isn't GPL, and my idea, is integrate Pi3web in the OS, like IIS in Windows.
Pharaoh_Atem

Post by Pharaoh_Atem »

Julcar wrote:Yeah, but Abyss isn't GPL, and my idea, is integrate Pi3web in the OS, like IIS in Windows.
So you are asking for somebody to develop MMC modules/CPL applets to centrally manage and configure websites using Pi3web in ReactOS and make it available as a "server" component?

Given that Pi3Web is very light, it might be possible for somebody interested in it to actually create the server components for ReactOS and base the web server on Pi3Web.

Pi3Web does provide compatibility with MS IIS ISAPI 2.0 modules, so it would be a valid idea.

I don't know if it would happen anytime soon. I would like to see it happen though....

As for the default SQL database for server components, it might be a better idea to base it on MySQL or PostgreSQL. My money would be more on PostgreSQL, because it is more flexible. SQLite is usable in web apps, but it is missing some functionality that makes it difficult for some types of web applications to use it.
forart

Post by forart »

Julcar wrote:That web server accept cgi and fastcgi, and the best... it's GPL.
Unfortunally is BSD, not GPL. :|

BTW, you should clone Balmer's approach too:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 8656696643
:roll:

The most interesting way is to try to involve them into ReactOS project, or at least to ask them to test their software under it. :ugeek:

EDIT: some other interesting links (grabbed from WinPenPack site - note: it would be great to involve them for Downlod!...)
  • The Uniform Server is a WAMP package that allows you to run a server on any MS Windows OS based computer. It is small and mobile to download or move around and can also be used or setup as a production/live server. Developers also use The Uniform Server to test their applications made with either PHP, MySQL, Perl, or the Apache HTTPd Server.
  • XAMPP for Windows is an easy to install Apache distribution containing MySQL, PHP and Perl. XAMPP is really very easy to install and to use - just download, extract and start. (not yet tested on ROS, according to their win32 compatibility list)
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Again, its a NO to bundling unnecessary stuff. IIS is only included in server version of windows. Unless someone wants to create and maintain a server distro of ROS, i dont see any need for IIS replacement.
Pharaoh_Atem

Post by Pharaoh_Atem »

forart wrote:
Julcar wrote:That web server accept cgi and fastcgi, and the best... it's GPL.
Unfortunally is BSD, not GPL. :|
BSD code, when modified, can still be relicensed to GPL. Heck, it doesn't even necessarily have to be modified. However, when being relicensed, you need to use a different name for the code. That wouldn't really be a problem either.
Haos wrote:Again, its a NO to bundling unnecessary stuff. IIS is only included in server version of windows. Unless someone wants to create and maintain a server distro of ROS, i dont see any need for IIS replacement.
It wouldn't necessarily have to be bundled with ROS, and I figured it wouldn't happen anyways. If someone were to do it, it could be packaged like an Option package that would turn ROS from Client to Server setup.
Julcar

Post by Julcar »

Again, its a NO to bundling unnecessary stuff. IIS is only included in server version of windows. Unless someone wants to create and maintain a server distro of ROS, i dont see any need for IIS replacement.
I use actually Windows XP pro in my home PC. IIS 5.1 it's presented like an add-on for the OS, isn't installed unless that the User install it. That's the idea: incorporate Pi3Web (or any name after modifications) in the ISO Released like an installer or an compressed package for Optional Installation.
Also would have an mini FTP server and (if its possible) an Mail server.

The idea of release an Server edition of RoS it's great.
Pharaoh_Atem

Post by Pharaoh_Atem »

Julcar wrote:
I use actually Windows XP pro in my home PC. IIS 5.1 it's presented like an add-on for the OS, isn't installed unless that the User install it. That's the idea: incorporate Pi3Web (or any name after modifications) in the ISO Released like an installer or an compressed package for Optional Installation.
Also would have an mini FTP server and (if its possible) an Mail server.

The idea of release an Server edition of RoS it's great.
For Web server: Pi3Web
For FTP server: acFTP
For Mail server: hMailServer 4.x
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

This is to correct a technicality. Something being a BSD license does not present any legal problems with inclusion in this project.
Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

There are no significant benefits for integration, if the user wants it he can add it himself.
Pharaoh_Atem

Post by Pharaoh_Atem »

Lone_Rifle wrote:There are no significant benefits for integration, if the user wants it he can add it himself.
At this time, maybe. But, in the future, it would be possible to great install images with options preconfigured to speed up deployment with this type of integration. And it wouldn't be available as part of ReactOS core anyway. It would be available as a separate optional download, either through Windows component selection or the Downloader.
Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

preconfiguration is not our priority.
Pharaoh_Atem

Post by Pharaoh_Atem »

Lone_Rifle wrote:preconfiguration is not our priority.
I didn't say it was...,
Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

and it never will be.