Question about ReactX

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Nate

Question about ReactX

Post by Nate »

With the latest version of Wine people can play Crysis and I was wondering if ReactX is compatible with Crysis or close to it? I searched the forum and one of the devs said (preston):"ReactX development is on hold right now, we use code from Wine for now. As most of the dx libs are synced with Wine you can get some idea about the status here http://www.winehq.org/status/directx. Not that I want to play Crysis its just that I think it's very impressive that it can be played on Wine. Basically I'm wondering what the status of ReactX and if it can play most of the games that Wine can play.
Radhad

Re: Question about ReactX

Post by Radhad »

ReactX is not used due to lack of missing APIs in win32k and other libraries. So far, Wine's Direct3D Wrapper for OpenGL is used. But I think there are still a lot of games which will not work under ReactOS but with Wine on Linux.
gyROS

Post by gyROS »

Usually only OpenGL software rendering is supported. There are people around here, who really got one ore another real hardware driver running (with some hints), but I can hardly imagine that the drivers required for that modern cards are working right now.
(Crysis with software rendering == no good idea)
doomonyou

Post by doomonyou »

ReactX hasn't even been started yet.
jerexgrz

Post by jerexgrz »

by doomonyou » 23 Jul 2009 17:54
ReactX hasn't even been started yet.
lol ... the death sentence ... :lol:
i believe that, it would be difficult to make a crueler sentence.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Oh. I thought you were using Wine code in ReactX. I guess youre saying ReactX will have no Wine code because you said "ReactX hasn't even been started yet.", meaning Wine code will definitely not be in ReactX. Because if Wine code were to be used you couldnt have said that "ReactX hasn't even been started yet.". I thought you guys were going to use Wine in ReactX. Oh. OK. Starting from scratch sounds......Crazy....Like a TON of work needs to be done.
Radhad

Post by Radhad »

Wine != ReactX, Wine uses a wrapper for DirectX call whereas ReactX is a whole implementation of DirectX (just changed the name for copyright reasons). Some developers had started with ReactX some months ago, but I don't know why it stopped. I think because of the bugs in win32k and GDI etc.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Maybe one of the main devs takes a longer break and due to more important stuff in the core which has to be done first.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
coldReactive

Post by coldReactive »

EmuandCo wrote:Maybe one of the main devs takes a longer break and due to more important stuff in the core which has to be done first.
Yeah, would rather see full USB and full SATA Support before DirectX.
cruonit

Post by cruonit »

so the reacots can use the Wine's Direct3D Wrapper after a sync
Nate

Post by Nate »

This is pretty confusing, doomonyou says: "ReactX hasn't even been started yet." and Radhad says: "Wine != ReactX".

I dunno who to believe. I dont know the difference between people who think they know whats going on and people who actually know whats going on.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Those who have the bigger amount of posts here.

We implement two mechanisms of Dx functionality:
1. ReactX
2. WineD3D

ReactX was being developed by GreatLord, before he left. Its in pretty early stage, i think it was capable of simple DirectDraw animation, but it had to be crafted for it. It severly lacks in foundation, and our Win32 subsystem is just not yet ready for it.

WineD3D has been vendor-dropped from WINE. It is basically a DirectX wrapper over OpenGL. It works. Bit slow atm, as we cant use hardware-accelerated OpenGL, so its wrapped over MESA - that uses CPU via software emulation (with. VirtualBox only notable exception).
Nate

Post by Nate »

Thanks for clearing that up, Haos.