The new Explorer

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

frmariam

Re: The new Explorer

Post by frmariam »

Yep that is it (sorry). By multi pane I meant the ability to view two or more forlders at once (not counting the folder tree).

[ external image ]

Anyway explorer_new seems to be coming along nicely (even though something seems to have messed up my keyboard layout).
maxpower

Post by maxpower »

On the latest ROS trunk build, I renamed explorer.exe to explorer_old.exe and explorer_new to explorer. It starts now, displaying the task bar. But I can't open the actual explorer windows. Also, taskbar does not react. Only context menu displays on rightclick, but nothing happen by clicking on it.
PetruDimitriu

Post by PetruDimitriu »

So, how's it going on?
maxpower

Post by maxpower »

I just started the explorer_new.exe on Vista:
It runs now, Start Menu is working. Looks a lot better than the old explorer.exe. Several things are not working (at least on Vista), for example the Search and the Control Panel is disabled. I can't open the clock settings. And in the taskbar settings windows everything is greyed out.

Now for ROS, latest trunk on Virtual Box 3.0.2:
- first another thing: sound works finally. :D
- the explorer_new.exe loads only at system start if renamed to explorer.exe (it's not possible to load it from task manager)
- it doesn't do anything. The icon on the Start button is not displayed
- the clock is displayed, but not the settings
- it's not possible to open folders (just nothing happens)
- righ clicking only works on the start button, not on the taskbar, but on the start button context menu the "Properties" entry is there twice (in german language if this is important)! But only one of them works, it displays the all greyed out taskbar settings window

That's all
maxpower

Post by maxpower »

Oh, how to edit posts? What I forgot: Alt+F4 removes the desktop icons (but not the taskbar) when explorer_new is used. Didn't tried that on Vista, only on VIrtualBox with ROS.
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

maxpower wrote: Oh, how to edit posts?
http://www.reactos.org/forum/search.php ... +edit+post

Vicmarcal ;)
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Who pinged me??

Wow...now im a Search Tag :)

maxpower:
Fill a BugReport in our Bugzilla about these issues and add GedMurphy as CC. He is on vacation mode, but maybe after the holidays he can give a look :)
PetruDimitriu

Post by PetruDimitriu »

I've checked Explorer_new. I'm pleased that the icons now show in the right direction. I can confirm "Properties" shows twice and only the second "Properties" option works. The contextual menus on the desktop icons don't show so well, also it does not open any folder or place or anything. The clock is visible but has no menus and the tray is missing. The Start button has no icon but I don't mind if it hasn't. I like that the font is bold, just like in Windows.
Well I guess the older explorer does its job better for now but it's definitely a start! Good job!

EDIT: Does ReactOS really have sound??
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

Also, if you open properties, window title says "Properties Properties for taskbar and Start menu" :-)
maxpower

Post by maxpower »

OK, posted on bugzilla:
http://www.reactos.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=4709
But the name GedMurphy was unknown.

And yes, at least on VirtualBox 3.0.2 with latest trunk, I could hear sound. I used the driver from Download! and the ROS sound player and played the ROS startup sound - it worked very well.

edit: Ah, now it works. But why do I have to hide my online status to be able to make edits? :shock: Now there are also shiny pictures over the links.
PetruDimitriu

Post by PetruDimitriu »

As a suggestion, I'd like to have an option which lets me choose how many desktops I want to have (say between 1 and 10).
GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

PetruDimitriu wrote:As a suggestion, I'd like to have an option which lets me choose how many desktops I want to have (say between 1 and 10).
I dunno if the new explorer has a multiple desktops feature built in to it, since it's supposed to be almost identical to the Windows 2000 explorer.
coldReactive

Post by coldReactive »

GoBusto wrote:
PetruDimitriu wrote:As a suggestion, I'd like to have an option which lets me choose how many desktops I want to have (say between 1 and 10).
I dunno if the new explorer has a multiple desktops feature built in to it, since it's supposed to be almost identical to the Windows 2000 explorer.
Would be nice if you guys kept the multi-desktop feature though.
PetruDimitriu

Post by PetruDimitriu »

coldReactive wrote:
GoBusto wrote:
Would be nice if you guys kept the multi-desktop feature though.
True.

In fact, we may leave it disabled by default and if there's anybody who wants it, he'll have the option in the Taskbar & Startmenu Properties dialogue.
greenie

Post by greenie »

Maybe multi desktop features can be implemented as a plug in. Like the one found in xp power tools. Except maybe one with more options. I will have to look at how you make plug ins for the task bar. I wonder if it is a simple task. Or something painfully difficult. Does anyone know where to find the documentation? A quick search didn't find anything.