No driver support for dell laptop

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

k_chupe

No driver support for dell laptop

Post by k_chupe »

I have a dell latitude c600 in which I was able to successfully install react os but am left dead in the water. no driver support for the following: communication device, ethernet controller, multimedia device, pci-cardbus bridge. That's essentially everything that you need to have a working pc. can anyone help? Here's the specs:
Processor Processor manufacturer: Intel
Processor model: Mobile Pentium III
Clock speed: 0.85 GHz
Motherboard Chipset: Intel 440BX
Data bus speed: 100 MHz
Memory RAM installed: 128 MB
Number of memory slots: 2
RAM capacity: 0.5 GB
RAM type: SDRAM
Memory specification compliance: PC100
Interfaces & networking VGA (analogue): 1
Video out: S-Video
Serial: 1
Parallel: 1
USB: 1
Docking station port: yes
Wireless LAN: integrated antenna for wireless 802.11b networking via a Mini-PCI card
Ethernet: 10/100Mbps
Modem: 56Kbps
Expansion slots PC Card: 2 x Type II, 1 x Type III
Hard drive storage Hard drive interface type: Ultra ATA/66
Hard drive size: 10 GB
Rotation speed: 4200 rpm
Storage controller: Ultra-ATA/33
Video Graphics processor: ATi Rage Mobility 128 AGP 2X
Graphics RAM: 8 MB
Display Display technology: colour TFT
Display diagonal size: 14.1 in
Maximum resolution: 1024x768 pixels
Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Re: No driver support for dell laptop

Post by Lone_Rifle »

Use the XP drivers for the c600. You can find them on Dell's site.
k_chupe

Post by k_chupe »

I'll give it a try then post back, thanks
k_chupe

Post by k_chupe »

installed drivers but didn't do any good
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

You could supply drivers via slipstreaming, but its complicated and requires compiling ReactOS yourself. Please mind that ReactOS is still in alpha stage. I think you`ll be able to do more usinv Virtual Machine like qemu, virtualbox or vmware.
k_chupe

Post by k_chupe »

ok. I guess I'll install u-lite and perhaps install virtual box then try react in virtual mode.
k_chupe

Post by k_chupe »

I installed u-lite which is a stripped down version of hardy heron 8.04 and installed virtualbox then installed reactos in a vertual drive. It runs so slow that I can't really get any benifit from having it installed in virtual mode. I'll have to either give up until a more driver compatible version comes out or someone figures out how to run it on dell latitude c600 laptop.
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

128 MB. Good for reactos, but for u-lite + virtualbox + reactos that's too few.
k_chupe

Post by k_chupe »

React OS would be perfect for my laptop if I could get some driver support for the network, audio, anda few others. Is there any way to come up with a solution for this problem? Thanks
Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

You should not be using ROS for your laptop, because ROS will corrupt your data. The process of switching from Windows to ROS is also not easily reversible and you will have to format your computer in order to use Windows again.
k_chupe

Post by k_chupe »

corrupting data isn't the issue because I don't have windows installed on my laptop. I am very familiar with installing operating systems and have recently installed a few linux distros with virtual box. The problem with going that route is since the laptop is old it lags terribly when using virtual box. at only 10 gigs of hd makes it even worse. If I can get ROS installed with driver support, that would be great. Some one had excellent luck apparently with driver support for their dell laptop. It shouldn't be an impossible or even highly difficult task to accomplish. Just need help from some one that may have had similar issues or who succeeded in getting their dell laptop to work. Some one that's familiar with driver fixes should be able to help, or even better, a developer who's willing to tackle the issue. It would be highly beneficial to those that have dell laptops. I'll give a small example, after I had installed ROS I installed esword(windows program) without a hitch. I started the program up and it was unable to work properly only because it viewed material in html format, which is where the network driver comes in at. You see, if I can't get online then the program won't work because it uses the web browser engine much in the same way that windows xp uses Internet explorer to view files.So really my major concern at the time being is to get the network driver up and running. The other driver can wait for now.Thanks -Kevin
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

As your laptop has a serial port, you can attach it with a null-modem cable to another machine and receive a debug log, which hopefully can help to fix the issue.
k_chupe

Post by k_chupe »

great suggestion,
I'll check it out.
Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

Are you sure that you won't be worried if ROS corrupts your photo and video collection?
k_chupe

Post by k_chupe »

I'll be going to a store to buy the proper cable and then try the steps listed for debugging React OS. I'll post any problems or success that I have after following the required steps. Thanks again hto