Gcc 4.0.0 Calling all Performance tweekers

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

oiaohm

Gcc 4.0.0 Calling all Performance tweekers

Post by oiaohm »

Sooner we get a mingw complier with Gcc 4.0.0 the better it will do a faster and cleaner job.

I will be trying reactos against my custom build of mingw running under linux sometime in the next month.

Note this is a my custom build not a standard one. Things are close but there are changes in places in include files and stuff it get stuff I want to work.
navaraf
Developer

Re: Gcc 4.0.0 Calling all Performance tweekers

Post by navaraf »

oiaohm wrote:Sooner we get a mingw complier with Gcc 4.0.0 the better it will do a faster and cleaner job.

I will be trying reactos against my custom build of mingw running under linux sometime in the next month.

Note this is a my custom build not a standard one. Things are close but there are changes in places in include files and stuff it get stuff I want to work.
I did some groundwork to support GCC 4 back in December. Now that GCC 4 is released I made a custom MinGW build of it and started building ReactOS with it few minutes ago...
Jaix
Moderator Team

Re: Gcc 4.0.0 Calling all Performance tweekers

Post by Jaix »

navaraf wrote:I did some groundwork to support GCC 4 back in December. Now that GCC 4 is released I made a custom MinGW build of it and started building ReactOS with it few minutes ago...
Well, how did it go?
Will ReactOS be twice the fast now?
oiaohm

Good and Bad new From me. I got a chance.

Post by oiaohm »

I still need match to make sure it not my Gcc it could be just incase one of the thing I have changed has cause the problem.

Reactos C code sections are smaller and faster.

Found a internal complier error in the harddrive access section drive.c. Still have not traced this yet to exactly what has faild I know if I remove one function it builds but does not work right.

Also a mountain of Warnings in the reactos code mainly to do with signed and unsigned. Yep people have been mixing them all over the place some files have 10-20 Warning each just to do with signed and unsigned.

Also one depreacated part that has to fix a lvalue This feature has been removed in version 4 version 3.4.3 had warnings about it.

C++ stuff looks to have grown in size. I think it might be worth a look to running our own libstd++.dll to keep this under control.

And one major annoyance. Forgot to Gcc build with unicode enabled first time.

It is worth the run of Gcc version 4 to locate all the minor errors that could cause big problems in the future.

Not a good as I hoped but still good first version in the 4.

Note I endup building Mixed gcc 4.0.0 for most gcc 3.4.3 for sections that would not build with 4.0.0.

Cannot give exact speed difference did not score. Did not completely build without help. Did not pass my standard to speed test.
Delfi

Post by Delfi »

so why not use intel compiler?

reactos is non-profit and non-commercial so you've got practically no noticable restrictions..
Luemmel

Post by Luemmel »

so why not use intel compiler?
http://reactos.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=634