Thank you VERY much!

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

digioz

Thank you VERY much!

Post by digioz »

Hello ReactOS Development Team,

On behalf of everyone at DigiOz Multimedia I would like to express our sincere gratitude for the wonderful work you are doing here. I have asked several of our Open Source Developers to install and test ReactOS, and report bugs to your tracking system. If there is any other type of help we can provide feel free to let us know.

Some areas of specific interest to us are running either .NET Framework or Mono on React OS (to allow .NET applications to run) as well as running the OS on Thin Clients (ReactOS sounds like a good fit for thin clients at first glance).

Thanks,
Pete Soheil
DigiOz Multimedia
www.digioz.com
Z98
Release Engineer

Re: Thank you VERY much!

Post by Z98 »

We also have a remote desktop client, which would help with the thin client role. Anyway, if you are interested in working more closely with the team to nail down issues that stops software you need from running, feel free to contact the development team.
Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

Our main channel of communication is via IRC, on Freenode, #reactos. AFAIK Mono installs, although it's yet to be seen as to whether it can run applications. Our msi (Microsoft Installer) modules are problematic, and are currently preventing us from installling .NET. Even if we could somehow conduct a manual copy of files and perform the relevant registry changes that the .NET msi does, I believe that the EULA legally prevents the user from running the .NET framework on OSes other than Windows.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Lone_Rifle wrote: I believe that the EULA legally prevents the user from running the .NET framework on OSes other than Windows.
I think this is an Illegal clause as most of the EULAs clauses.
coldReactive

Post by coldReactive »

Allow me to confirm that .NET is not available to be installed on any OS but windows.
NOTE: IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A VALID EULA FOR ANY "OS PRODUCT" (MICROSOFT WINDOWS 98, WINDOWS ME, WINDOWS NT 4.0 (DESKTOP EDITION), WINDOWS 2000 OPERATING SYSTEM, WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL AND/OR WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION), YOU ARE NOT AUTHORIZED TO INSTALL, COPY OR OTHERWISE USE THE OS COMPONENTS AND YOU HAVE NO RIGHTS UNDER THIS SUPPLEMENTAL EULA.
This is in the Microsoft .NET Framework Redistributable EULA.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?rnyiyinjjar
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

Let me remind you that each respective country's laws are above any EULA in case of contradictory claims and that's what vicmarcal means.
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

coldReactive wrote: Allow me to confirm that .NET is not available to be installed on any OS but windows.
It does not say that .NET may not be installed on ReactOS or something else. It only requires a license for Windows. One license per one .NET copy.
Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Re:

Post by Lone_Rifle »

hto wrote: It only requires a license for Windows
Yes, obviously. But if you have a Windows license, you probably have the .NET framework installed on that. Also, why would you want to buy a Windows license and then install ROS?
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

Lone_Rifle wrote: But if you have a Windows license, you probably have the .NET framework installed on that.
You can have two licenses, one on a new version of Windows (which you use now) and another on some older version (which is already not in use). It should allow you to have two copies of .NET. However, I haven't checked the Windows EULA and don't know what is called "valid" there.
Also, why would you want to buy a Windows license and then install ROS?
I will not, but somebody who already bought it might want to try .NET on ReactOS.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Every Laptop nowadays comes with a Windows OS preinstalled.That means a valid licence.That means i can test NET. :)
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

But if there is already .NET on laptop, you should uninstall it first…
digioz

Post by digioz »

I think it is a lot safer for us to stick to Mono Framework. Since most of our recent source code is in C# this shouldn't be a problem. Unless Microsoft goes open source with the .NET Framework I think it is too risky to use it based on what I am hearing.

Pete Soheil
DigiOz Multimedia
www.digioz.com
coldReactive

Post by coldReactive »

digioz wrote:I think it is a lot safer for us to stick to Mono Framework. Since most of our recent source code is in C# this shouldn't be a problem. Unless Microsoft goes open source with the .NET Framework I think it is too risky to use it based on what I am hearing.

Pete Soheil
DigiOz Multimedia
http://www.digioz.com
Too bad Mono doesn't support .NET 2 nor .NET 3.
Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

digioz wrote:I think it is a lot safer for us to stick to Mono Framework.
The only problem with this is that Mono isn't completely compatible with .NET. We would be aiming for the ability to install the .NET framework anyway, since it would imply binary compatibility with Windows. As a last resort you could encourage users to acquire a license for an older version of Windows for cheap (such as 98 or ME), as hto noted, so that they are permitted to run .NET on ReactOS.
digioz

Post by digioz »

coldReactive wrote:Too bad Mono doesn't support .NET 2 nor .NET 3.
Actually, mono has been supporting .NET 2.0 for a while now:

http://www.sdtimes.com/link/32935

Of course it's not 100% compatible with .NET 2.0, but pretty close to it.

Pete