U not to use some done X-Window managers like KDE GNOME ?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

shmoolikipod

Post by shmoolikipod »

KDE and gone r sach a nice window=manager that i can't but wonder y not to u use them on ReactPS. i think it would b very c0ol to load *.exe files on KDE environment:)
GvG

Re: U not to use some done X-Window managers like KDE GNOME

Post by GvG »

shmoolikipod wrote:U not to use some done X-Window managers like KDE GNOME ?
As the name implies, X-Window managers need a X-Windows system to run on. The native graphical interface for ReactOS is the MS-Windows graphical interace (GDI, USER32), which is very different from X-Windows. Porting a X-Window manager would be equivalent to rewriting it.
stilyan

Post by stilyan »

So everybody knows Microsoft is going to throw away GDI,and use DirectX for the desktop drawing(and everything else:)) .So ROS is being developed too slowly and it will become obsolete very soon.Yes,I know there will be tons of older windows users and machines but they won't change to ROS(they have bought Windows).So who will use ROS?Longhorn users also won't change to the bad looking old windows-like system ,unix people also...?
We need a pleasant look with windows feel in ROS(definately not using X).What about using dotgnu for native ROS applicationg development(if there are such applications).Is Windows compatability possible while people need it,won't ROS be late...
user222

Post by user222 »

stilyan wrote:Longhorn users also won't change to the bad looking old windows-like system ,unix people also...?
I always disable the Windows XP themes because it looks too fancy. I will also disable them in Windows Longhorn if it's possible.
stilyan

Post by stilyan »

One man that will do that.Are there more?How much?I don't think a lot.
What about somebody tells you ,you are going to use win 3.11 from now?Do you like its GUI?
Same with Longhorn,if ROS GUI looks like win 95 everibody will say :"Oooo i have seen that ,but it was so long ago and I can't remember where.."
What about Longhorn's GUI means usability,not only visual changes ?
Quigs

Post by Quigs »

>> Another user who will disable them..
BrandonTurner
Developer

Post by BrandonTurner »

stilyan wrote:One man that will do that.Are there more?How much?I don't think a lot.
What about somebody tells you ,you are going to use win 3.11 from now?Do you like its GUI?
Same with Longhorn,if ROS GUI looks like win 95 everibody will say :"Oooo i have seen that ,but it was so long ago and I can't remember where.."
What about Longhorn's GUI means usability,not only visual changes ?
A lot of people turn off the flashyness of XP me included. And at one time it was mentioned you will be able to get the classic look.
counting_pine

Post by counting_pine »

stilyan wrote:One man that will do that.Are there more?How much?I don't think a lot.
Admittedly, this forum probably a good cross-section of average computer users, but there's a lot of people who prefer the old theme. I'm one of them.
stilyan wrote:if ROS GUI looks like win 95 everibody will say :"Oooo i have seen that ,but it was so long ago and I can't remember where.."
It's been available in every Windows version since 95. I think it's the default in 2003.
stilyan

Think

Post by stilyan »

Think what people will say when see Longhorn's rich UI...
Do you want to say it is ROS benefit to have the oldschool look?I am not sure...
You are right it is 10 yaers old and it is time do kill that old thing.Look at MacOS X,GNOME...
Meklort

Re: Think

Post by Meklort »

stilyan wrote:Think what people will say when see Longhorn's rich UI...
Do you want to say it is ROS benefit to have the oldschool look?I am not sure...
You are right it is 10 yaers old and it is time do kill that old thing.Look at MacOS X,GNOME...
I have looked at some beta screenshots of londhorn's gui, and, yeah, there are alot of diffrent themes, but I perfer the 'oldschool' look.OS X looks good to me, it doesnt have too much eye candy. I also turn of the eyecandy so that it speeds up the computer.
niteice

Post by niteice »

OS X has a very well-designed GUI, it's got the simplicity of the Finder, the white adds a touch of...sophistication maybe?, but the window effects look nice yet don't get in your way. I saw a video of Longhorn's window effects, they're gonna do stuff like spin down into the taskbar when minimized...too much. Genie, hell, even just window-scaling does it better.
elfstones69

Post by elfstones69 »

Wine gives you a choice on the look of the GUI, why can't ReactOS. Some will prefer 2000 look. Other will want something more modern. I don't know a whole lot about the GDI, USER32 internal protocols, but I don't think a switch in the registry to change the way things are drawn would be that hard to program.
Crappish

Post by Crappish »

Everyone that I know, who uses XP, has the "old-school" theme. Me included.
Can't provoke anyone? Why bother posting?
HUMA2000

Post by HUMA2000 »

Me use the old school theme also, or i use any shell remplacement yo get a more clear interface, but HATE the fancy xp look, it speed down a lot the pc and is bigger than the old and less funcional for me. :)
elfstones69

Post by elfstones69 »

HUMA2000 wrote:Me use the old school theme also, or i use any shell remplacement yo get a more clear interface, but HATE the fancy xp look, it speed down a lot the pc and is bigger than the old and less funcional for me. :)
This is true. XP style has a much thicker title bar and is a pain. It also uses more resources. But who says we can not borrow one of the nicer Metacity or FVWM themes? The dream is for ReactOS to be compatible, yet better.