Multi Processor Computer

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

Jaix
Moderator Team

Multi Processor Computer

Post by Jaix »

I try to run a LiveCD on a muliprocessor computer, but it doesn't recognize more then one, then it halts during loding of drives.sys, what is wrong?
I have an old Tyan Thunder based dual p166 machine, isn't ReactOS supporting multiprocessor machines yet?
niteice

Post by niteice »

It looks like the framework is there, but I don't think it does SMP yet.
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

you must recompile ros for smp system
see file reactos/config
CONFIG_SMP := 0
change it to
CONFIG_SMP := 1

0 = no
1 = yes
Jaix
Moderator Team

Help please!

Post by Jaix »

GreatLord wrote:you must recompile ros for smp system
see file reactos/config
CONFIG_SMP := 0
change it to
CONFIG_SMP := 1

0 = no
1 = yes
Oh, there you go, simple...
...the problem is that I am a user not a developer, someone who can help me with compiling Live and Install for Pentium 166MHz fresh svn for SMP processor system, PLEASE!?
TiKu

Post by TiKu »

I'm currently compiling build 14702 with CONFIG_SMP := 1.

What do you need? Live-CD? Boot-CD? Both?
TiKu

Post by TiKu »

Jaix
Moderator Team

Post by Jaix »

Thank you very much!
Now some testing!!!
Jaix
Moderator Team

Post by Jaix »

Testing didn't go very far, the computer rebooted right after blue.sys came up during loading of the installation BootCD.
Any idea why?
GvG

Post by GvG »

Hartmutt is still working on SMP support, it's not complete yet.
hbirr

Post by hbirr »

Jaix wrote: Testing didn't go very far, the computer rebooted right after blue.sys came up during loading of the installation BootCD.
Any idea why?
Can you connect a second computer over a serial line which runs a terminal program? It is possible to build the install cd with serial debug prints enabled. I'm not sure if it is also possible for the live cd. If ros does crash in the very early boot phase, it makes no difference if you boot from the install or the live cd.

- Hartmut
Jaix
Moderator Team

Post by Jaix »

hb wrote:
Jaix wrote: Testing didn't go very far, the computer rebooted right after blue.sys came up during loading of the installation BootCD.
Any idea why?
Can you connect a second computer over a serial line which runs a terminal program? It is possible to build the install cd with serial debug prints enabled. I'm not sure if it is also possible for the live cd. If ros does crash in the very early boot phase, it makes no difference if you boot from the install or the live cd.

- Hartmut
Serila cable, yea, no problem, but I have to get the cd-image from someone kind enough compile it for me, and then it would be best with live-cd, then I don't have to change HD from my Win2K install. It reboots during really early stage, right in the start.
My computer is a Tyan Thunder dual p166 Motherboard, Matrox Millennium Graphics, 2 Network cards (don't know what brands I can check when I get to work), 160MB RAM, IDE - HD & CD
hbirr

Post by hbirr »

Jaix wrote:Serila cable, yea, no problem, but I have to get the cd-image from someone kind enough compile it for me, and then it would be best with live-cd, then I don't have to change HD from my Win2K install. It reboots during really early stage, right in the start.
I've no web space, but I can send the zipped iso image (14MB) via mail if you have a large inbox. It is possible to enable the serial debug for the live cd. This means it is not necessary to use the install cd.

- Hartmut
Jaix
Moderator Team

Post by Jaix »

hb wrote:I've no web space, but I can send the zipped iso image (14MB) via mail if you have a large inbox. It is possible to enable the serial debug for the live cd. This means it is not necessary to use the install cd.

- Hartmut
Good, there you go, then you can can mail me an image at reactos [at] teknoskand [dot] com and I will do some testings as fast I can.

One more thing, how should I set the Hyper-terminal?
hbirr

Post by hbirr »

Jaix wrote: One more thing, how should I set the Hyper-terminal?
You should set your terminal program to 115200bps, 8N1 and no flow control. I'm using Tera Term Pro 2.3.

The mail is going (my upstream isn't fast).

- Hartmut
Jaix
Moderator Team

Post by Jaix »

hb wrote:
Jaix wrote: One more thing, how should I set the Hyper-terminal?
You should set your terminal program to 115200bps, 8N1 and no flow control. I'm using Tera Term Pro 2.3.

The mail is going (my upstream isn't fast).

- Hartmut
Thanks mate!
Only one problem, I didn't get any mail, probably the ISP has some kind of blocker, could you sen it to another domain? Try [reactos [at] steelform [dot] se] instead.