Viruses && Malware ?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Quigs

Post by Quigs »

I'm just saying that an Operating System is not defined to include a Firewall or Virus protection. If you want to include the capability into the OS thats fine, but dont throw it on after the fact. AKA build it into the TCP/IP stack or dont build it in at all.
stilyan

Post by stilyan »

How to build a firewall in the TCP/IP?We have something like that IPv6 :)
ROS must have a firewall and antivirus software build in,or nobody will use it(except viruses :)) There were good programs mentioned early,so developers have choice.And ROS is an OS not a kernel, so it will come with the essential software.Developers/designers must think more about how to stop attacks due to nt kernel known problems.
Please don't copy microsoft mistakes and say it is about compatability reasons.
Quigs

Post by Quigs »

It's not, I could care less about compatibility, I want speed!
stilyan

compatability

Post by stilyan »

I don't see ROS without compatability with Windows :))
Speed ...Hm ,why not use Win 3.0 it is faster than XP?I think most of us need stability.
dark

Re: compatability

Post by dark »

stilyan wrote:I don't see ROS without compatability with Windows :))
Speed ...Hm ,why not use Win 3.0 it is faster than XP?I think most of us need stability.
I really hope that's a joke. you know that's unreasonable for someone who's used anything higher than that.
Quigs

Post by Quigs »

And ROS is an OS not a kernel, so it will come with the essential software
I guess we vary by the "essential software"..
...and I'll leave it at that for now.
ScoTTie

Post by ScoTTie »

I think Firewalls/Virus Scanners etc should be left up to the distributions (is/when they appear). This discussion is also way to premature, TCP/IP still has some bugs and alot more needs to be done elsewhere before anyone bothers with such things.
Lucio Diaz

Post by Lucio Diaz »

There are many many firewalls and antiviruses for windows (some free software), why do you want any other one, and worst, embeded. :(
A-v-S
Location: BAEK CITY (Beek, Limburg, The Netherlands, Europe, Earth)

Post by A-v-S »

If there will be a Firewall in ROS, then make it optional.
During setup,in a list of software to choose you want to install,
"you laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same"

http://www.il.fontys.nl/~andre
oiaohm

Ok lets try to get this sorted.

Post by oiaohm »

Windows XP SP2 ships with a built in firewall.

So really reactos should ship with one. Note it was embed due to too many people not installing firewalls. And firewalls are important. Ie a person moving from XP to reactos would expect one so not install one big problem.

People install Linux Freebsd MacOS you never see them complaining that a firewall is installed by default.

Due to a large history of active viruses on windows embeding a virus scanner is a good idea. Also other problems that are know to happen in windows ie a old program installing a dll for windows 95 only over a windows XP dll then using roll back to fix. Would it not be better if that dll got stops from installing in the first place.

Basicly a Firewall theses days is a standard part of any good OS so reactos should have one.

Reason for the discussion on this because TCP/IP stack has bugs and is being worked on ie If any major tweaks are required better to build in now then latter.

Also as far as I know windows still does not support IP6 correctly. So if we setup that up it will not be supported by most windows Firewalls.

Now reactos is supporting more filesystems than windows and will most likely support more ways of accessing stuff on networks. So windows firewalls most likely will not have enough controls.
Floyd

Post by Floyd »

package or link tiny personal firewall with ReactOS.
it used to be free for personal use (don't know if it still is).
(doesn't appear to be)

here are some other free firewalls:
http://www.iopus.com/guides/free-firewall.htm
pax mei amici amorque et Iesus sacret omnia
oiaohm

Free for Personal use does not float.

Post by oiaohm »

Note: Windows XP already contains a mediocre firewall. This firewall is NO replacement for a dedicated software solution.

It might be mediocre firewall but it is not going to catch some one out if the have a licence.

We should be able to do better than mediocre fireall without to much problems.

Closed source can turn pay at any time.

We cannot depend on getting a non opensource fix to the problem.