AMAZING!

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

YOUR-DOOM

AMAZING!

Post by YOUR-DOOM »

A friend of mine told me what you guys are doing. At first I thought it was REALLY cool, but I didn't download it as I didn't like the GUI, and I heard you don't have 3D yet. However about 2 hours latter it hit me:
This is open source! Linux is open source! Linux has TONS of different distros you can choose from!

That is when my revelation hit me: there might one day be tons of different distros for ReactOS, and W*nd*ws will be a thing of the past.
That is also when I decided I need to give you my full support, and even let you know I'm here if you need an extra man. My only real talent is web design, but I can help with beta testing if needed.

Open source will one day rule the world!
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

You can help with site design, and testers of course much needed. Contact people on the #reactos IRC channel to join efforts.
Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Re: AMAZING!

Post by Lone_Rifle »

YOUR-DOOM wrote: That is when my revelation hit me: there might one day be tons of different distros for ReactOS, and W*nd*ws will be a thing of the past.
The problem with having many distros is that of interoperability, the guarantee that an application that runs on one distro will run with no modifications on another. This is the problem that Linux distros face, since they take the liberty of making modifications. Obviously, this is something that Windows does not have, since there is only one major distribution.

In any case, if you want to help out, you may want to start at the wiki. http://www.reactos.org/wiki/index.php
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Well..as discussed many times before Linux is a jungle of Distros thanks to a huge community and the GNU part of the name.
ReactOS doesnt have GNU in the name,so the jungle is more reduced. Of course anyone can make a ReactOS Distro,and right now there is one called React-IT.It is being developed by Bartolini and he is adding features version through version.

We are now trying to remake the website, so your help is wellcome. We need a lot of hands here. ;)
GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

YOUR-DOOM wrote:I heard you don't have 3D yet.
You heard wrong.

See this screen-shot of Quake 3 from the ancient 0.3.3 release: http://www.reactos.org/media/screenshot ... ke3_03.jpg

Or this screen-shot taken by Haos: http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic. ... t=0#p58762

And DivXMan;-) even got this to work: http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic. ... =30#p59290

I did have some images of some of my own Direct3D and OpenGL programs running on ReactOS, but I moved web hosts recently and I've misplaced the images in the process.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

@YOUR-DOOM

If you are referring to previous newsletter for the lack of 3d acceleration support, you should recheck the text. This was about hardware 3d acceleration, when running ROS on a PC.
YOUR-DOOM

Post by YOUR-DOOM »

I was actually refering to a friend (who was in-accurate), when I said you don't have 3D yet.

Thank you so much for your replies guys. I think I'll start out as a beta (or alpha in this case) tester, and I might do some web design while I'm at it.

Out of curiosity: all you guys need is a menu layout, and a new hompage, right? I MIGHT be able to do that, or at least a new menu layout.