Netbooks, Netbooks, Netbooks...

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

Trasher

Re: Netbooks, Netbooks, Netbooks...

Post by Trasher »

http://www.eurocom.com/

the anti netbook makers. One model supports a 3.0 ghz xeon :)
GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

Haos wrote:Cool. Who volounteers for coding USB Storage Stack?
Well, Elledan did a while ago. And then I guess she exploded or something, since she hasn't been around the forums for a while.
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

She stated that for each month of work 500€ would have to be donated, which isn't the case so far...
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Before donating specifically to her, please mind that she failed to return anything of previous promises. Speaking cruelly and realistically, there is no guarantee that your donation spent will bring back anything usefull. Please feel warned.
coldReactive

Post by coldReactive »

Haos wrote:Before donating specifically to her, please mind that she failed to return anything of previous promises. Speaking cruelly and realistically, there is no guarantee that your donation spent will bring back anything usefull. Please feel warned.
I donated 20 USD for general purposes however. ;)
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

Haos wrote: Before donating specifically to her, please mind that she failed to return anything of previous promises. Speaking cruelly and realistically, there is no guarantee that your donation spent will bring back anything usefull. Please feel warned.
It seems from that table that people donated some sum for USB, but is it spent or not?
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

No. That's just the money that's been received for it.
lollebol

Post by lollebol »

It would be nice to see ReactOS running on netbooks :)
Although the specifications of those machines aren't impressive, I think Ros will run perfect as it needs only a little to run.
Only installing is a pain in the ass now since they dont have a cd/dvd player. (are there any methods of installing ROS on these things?)

Also last few months, many kind netbooks are sold worldwide in huge numbers, while they all use the same hardware.
So that means (theoretically) only a few drivers need to be written, and it works on most of them :D
GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

lollebol wrote:It would be nice to see ReactOS running on netbooks :)
Although the specifications of those machines aren't impressive, I think Ros will run perfect as it needs only a little to run.
Only installing is a pain in the ass now since they dont have a cd/dvd player. (are there any methods of installing ROS on these things?)

Also last few months, many kind netbooks are sold worldwide in huge numbers, while they all use the same hardware.
So that means (theoretically) only a few drivers need to be written, and it works on most of them :D
Well, the Acer Aspire One uses an x86 processor, the Intel Atom. Let's be optimistic and guesstimate about whether ReactOS can run on it or not.

The Aspire One has a standard SATA HDD and SATA drives should now be working in trunk builds:
Aleksey Bragin wrote:> - Uniata support: it solves many problems at once, such as a stupid
> 8Gb limit which is a nonsense for a 2009-year operating system, and
> Serial ATA support, which greatly enhances possible ReactOS usability
> (along with the first item of this list). I use it in my builds
> everyday for more than a month, it works very good. Problems:
> VirtualBox CDROM support (it doesn't recognize it), on my
> realhardware it also experiences similar problems. Bug is also
> bugzilled, a lot of debug logs attached, so everyone can participate.
Fixed, uniata enabled in trunk.
The touch-pad mouse may work if it's connected via USB internally, since I think that USB mice are now working in trunk builds:
Aleksey Bragin wrote:> - USB support for keyboard and mouse devices. Right now, it needs
> fixing the rare crash during booting (bug is bugzilled, comment
> explaining how to solve the problem is attached, some investigation
> remains), and more testing on real hardware.
Crashes were not that rare, I would say they were quite often. Fixed.
USB enabled in trunk.
However, the only way that you'll be able to insert a ReactOS Install/LiveCD is to use a USB DVD/CD drive and I don't think that this is likely to work in current builds. So ReactOS might work on the machine, but there's no way to get it on there unless you remove the hard drive and use 1337 h@>< to get the various files on to the disk using another machine.

Audio would be unlikely to work, since sound support is still young and green in ReactOS right now. Wired networking might work, though, even if the wireless hardware cannot be used yet.
anthrax11

Post by anthrax11 »

Well, there is network booting, which can be used to install Windows. So there's hope that some day we can install ReactOS the same way. A network boot is not a simple, straight-forward process to set up, but it works and it's quite suitable for those CD-ROM-less netbooks.

An external CD drive can also be used, if you have one. I've also used an IDE to USB converter to install Windows and Linux from a standard IDE DVD drive onto my eee. The ReactOS boot CD just leaves a black screen and doesn't boot atm.

USB thumb drives could be used as installation media. Most notebooks should be able to map these drives as standard hard disk drives accessible through int 13h, but I don't know why ReactOS can't handle them despite this. There's probably something I'm not understanding.

I'd love to help work on these parts (network booting and USB) for ReactOS, but I'm still young and learning. I tried to write a QEMU hard drive image to a USB drive from the stage where the installation is complete. It booted up and loaded some drivers, but then stopped. There was no serial port to get debug output from and debug to file doesn't work at that stage, but by adding some debug messages to the screen I could trace the failure to ntoskrnl\io\iomgr\iomgr.c, where the ZwOpenFile failed to open the boot drive (even though the USB drive had booted up and even loaded some files). I'll definitely keep on hacking at this issue :)
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

GoBusto wrote: So ReactOS might work on the machine, but there's no way to get it on there unless you remove the hard drive and use 1337 h@>< to get the various files on to the disk using another machine.
Split the disk into two or more partitions, boot some OS from one of them, boot ReactOS inside a VM and install it on another real partition. That's how I usually install it. Or install ReactOS on some (real or virtual) machine and copy files using USB stick or what else. Not so much of 1337 h@><.
anthrax11 wrote: Most notebooks should be able to map these drives as standard hard disk drives accessible through int 13h, but I don't know why ReactOS can't handle them despite this. There's probably something I'm not understanding.
Bear in mind, while freeldr uses bios, the kernel uses drivers to access disks.
lollebol

Re:

Post by lollebol »

hto wrote: Split the disk into two or more partitions, boot some OS from one of them, boot ReactOS inside a VM and install it on another real partition. That's how I usually install it. Or install ReactOS on some (real or virtual) machine and copy files using USB stick or what else. Not so much of 1337 h@><.
Yes but not every netbook contains an 100GB+ HDD as some only have an 16GB SDD?
GoBusto

Re: Re:

Post by GoBusto »

lollebol wrote:
hto wrote: Split the disk into two or more partitions, boot some OS from one of them, boot ReactOS inside a VM and install it on another real partition. That's how I usually install it. Or install ReactOS on some (real or virtual) machine and copy files using USB stick or what else. Not so much of 1337 h@><.
Yes but not every netbook contains an 100GB+ HDD as some only have an 16GB SDD?
Would ReactOS even be able to boot from SDD hardware?

Either way, I reckon that two 8GB partitions would be enough, especially when you consider that ReactOS has only recently broken the old 8GB partition size limit.
The123king

Post by The123king »

GoBusto wrote: Would ReactOS even be able to boot from SDD hardware?
Most likely, yes, it's only a SATA storage device, like any other drive.

I'm sure you could probably boot ReactOS from a SSD RAM drive too.
GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

Remember that old Greek theory? A group of people simply sit around and discuss something for long enough and eventually figure out what would happen based entirely on logical conjecture, without actually testing their proposed theory with a practical trial.

That's what this thread is like.

And now watch me ruin the air of classical civilized discussion by requesting someone with the appropriate hardware to try running a ReactOS trunk build on it.

My brother recently purchased an Acer Aspire One but I'm not likely to be allowed to play with it. It's probably because of that little incident a while ago in which a computer tower was supposed to be repaired and was instead transformed into a piece of modern art.