Simple as,, uhm, yeah, Gaming.

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

ebber

Simple as,, uhm, yeah, Gaming.

Post by ebber »

Hi'ya. been' looking round the forums, and i didn't really find any related posts (admitted: I might not have looked very hard)
But I'd really like to know how games on ReactOS is coming along? you see: I dualboot with Vista on my macbook pro, to do some casual gaming, which is impossible on OS X. However: Vista SERIOUSLY consumes some harddisk memory! (at least 10 GB, and my entire windows-partition is only 21,23 GB large!) so needless to say i were thrilled to find out about ReactOS. - especially since it doesnt take like 10 GB of my HDD.

So basically: Will i be able to dualboot with React instead of Vista, to do casual gaming? (games i do casually includes: Desperados, Dark messiah of might and magic, Worms, quake 3, unreal tournament and occasionally C.O.D 4.)

Black_Fox

Re: Simple as,, uhm, yeah, Gaming.

Post by Black_Fox »

Yes, you will. But note, I mean it literally - not now, but in future, yes.

ebber

Post by ebber »

So to put it simple: No at present. But sometime in the future?

GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

ebber wrote:So to put it simple: No at present. But sometime in the future?
Yep. Given the choice between ReactOS and Vista as a gaming OS, I'd say Vista every time.

+ Sound has only recently been implemented, so you'd most likely have to forego audio.

+ Not many video cards work yet. Some people would say that this is kind of important for Crysis to run.

+ Most USB devices will not work, although support is likely to be implemented Real Soon Now.

+ Wireless cards will not work. Bad news if you want to play online. Several wired cards work, though.

Give ReactOS a year or two and let it reach "mature beta" stage and then ask this question again. In the meantime, keep an eye on the Trunk Builds, which are much more up-to-date than the 0.x.x releases.

ebber

Post by ebber »

aah. ok. thanks for clearing that up. :)

My mouse is something which i bought for 50 DKkr (by that i mean: it worked on practically every other OS i've tried, so i believe it does on ReactOS as well) i don't do online games (except for DOTA which can be done on OS X), and my video card is the one which comes along with the (early-mid) 2008 macbook pro. i might just give it a try anyways, i'd be happy to deliver some feedback on my experience if it is relevant?

a bit offtopic: is there anyway to create a live USB-stick on OS X? (i don't have any CD's to burn one for myself.)

GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

ebber wrote:i might just give it a try anyways, i'd be happy to deliver some feedback on my experience if it is relevant?
ReactOS is still in alpha stage. More feedback is always welcomed, but be aware that you might lose important data due to bugs in ReactOS. If the MacBook is your primary computer, DON'T DO IT.
ebber wrote:a bit offtopic: is there anyway to create a live USB-stick on OS X? (i don't have any CD's to burn one for myself.)
Since ReactOS lacks USB support right now, creating bootable ReactOS USB disk is not possible. Though you're essentially looking for this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_Utility