KDE on ReactOS project

All development related issues welcome

Moderator: Moderator Team

panda84

Re: KDE on ReactOS project

Post by panda84 »

Hello again people!

I discovered that also KDE mingw binaries are available in the "Package Manager" install mode so I decided to try them. Regarding Wine the results were the same (I was able to get KWrite running). When I tested them in React OS I got some problems with several mysterious "command prompts" which opened but didn't show anything. They pop-up during the end of the install, in particular when trying to remove old Windows menu entries, when trying to write the new Windows menu entries and, after the installation, when trying to start an application. In particular when the installer tries to remove the menu entries several (3 or 4) empty command prompts open up, and closing the one in the front results in the closing all the command prompts and continuing the install; the same applies when the installer tries to install the new menu entries. Except for the menu entries all the files seem to be at their proper place.
NOTE: the msvc version doesn't seem to give the same problems (no command prompt pops-up) but also in that case the menu entries aren't installed properly.
When trying to start an application only one command prompt pops-up. Unfortunately when you close it the application doesn't start anyway. To me it seems the command prompt pops-up only the first time you try to run the app. However the application itself doesn't ever start.

At least this method seems to workaround the "missing MSVC Redistributable .dlls" problem.

Has anyone any hint on why the command prompt is empty? Is it more likely to be a missing feature in React OS (WIne works) or a little glitch in the KDE packages / installer? I'll post this message in the KDE on Windows mailing list. Maybe "cross-help" could be useful to solve the problem...
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

These false command prompts are known thing.

Try to open real Command Prompt, cd to the directory which contains the executable and run it from there. Maybe it will work.
panda84

Post by panda84 »

These false command prompts are known thing.
Ok, thanks for letting me know.
Try to open real Command Prompt, cd to the directory which contains the executable and run it from there. Maybe it will work.
Already tried but no luck. It seems some more "under the hood" work is required to make KDE to work on ReactOS. At least the "first stage", the installer, works fine. Better than nothing! :mrgreen:
karl_marxbm_br

Post by karl_marxbm_br »

panda84 read this (i am brazilian and don't know english very well (long live to the google!!!):

do the following, I believe that works. I tried a manual installation in the windows, because I had used the installer of the KDE4windows to download and install once and I did a backup of the packages to install on another machine without internet and work. after using the install program to copy the compressed files to a backup, you may need a second chance. or install or extract the files to the folder where KDE is installed. after that open the registry of React or variables of the system (now with you, try this on React) and you can make changes to the registry manually. to help you, follow the instructions on this page:

http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/KDE_on ... y_of_Steps

and in my language:

boa sorte e que Deus te abençoe, partilhe isso conosco quando funcionar...

;)
panda84

Post by panda84 »

Hmm... I don't get it: did you succeeded to run KDE for Windows applications on ReactOS or not?
karl_marxbm_br

Post by karl_marxbm_br »

No, I have not tried KDE for Windows in React, only in Windows. I do not have the machine installed in React real or virtual. Just an idea for you, that is, if you still want to try. Just know that it is possible to install KDE is Windows manually, extracting all the packages in a folder, "KDE4" for example (and this folder is recognized as the root and filled the inside of other folders, a structure very similar to UNIX) , then set the variables of the system (is not in the registry, as I had mentioned), these variables are located in the properties of the system (look on the control panel or the right mouse button on the My Computer icon). Just follow the link that I spent in the previous message, it is written that that add and modify variables. I hope I have helped.
Jedi-to-be

Post by Jedi-to-be »

You should see this http://www.reactos.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=4410
This bug prevents KDE to be runned.
pventosop

Post by pventosop »

Hi, where can I find an Image of reactOS with the KDE desktop, and how do I install it on ReactOS??
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

pventosop wrote:Hi, where can I find an Image of reactOS with the KDE desktop, and how do I install it on ReactOS??
Answer:
Jedi-to-be wrote:You should see this http://www.reactos.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=4410
This bug prevents KDE to be runned.
The way of installing in ReactOS is the SAME way than installing in Windows.
panda84

Post by panda84 »

Looks like someone got beyond than just installation!
http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 06&start=0
Davy Bartoloni

Post by Davy Bartoloni »

i just compiled KDE on Win using standard mingw procedure .. then.. i copied binaries to ReactOS.. and some apps works. ( empty command prompt windows are still present )
panda84

Post by panda84 »

Davy Bartoloni

Post by Davy Bartoloni »

2 new screenshots ( KDE 4.3.0 )
[ external image ]
http://www.wcn.it/kbreakOut.reactos.reactit.kde.jpg
original topic: ( http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 322#p64322 )

Konqueror and Dolphin don't work :(
[ external image ]

and KDE installer GUI is still blocking ROS
DEBUG LOG: http://www.wcn.it/kde.gui.installer.debug.txt
PetruDimitriu

Post by PetruDimitriu »

WOW SO KDE ACTUALLY WORKS ON REACTOS!!!
Davy Bartoloni

Post by Davy Bartoloni »

Installer now don't hang ROS.. but it can't download the packages (i'm actually using win for this step)
by the way a simple KDE app require something like 180 Mbyte of Kde-shared-DLLS ( :O )
and Apps.. are very large ( from 5 Mb to 60 Mb )