My questions can't be answered by looking elsewhere...

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

nute

My questions can't be answered by looking elsewhere...

Post by nute »

The road map is practically empty when it comes to getting information from it.

Obviously, the subject of this forum is a LIE if I can't ask any questions about
where ReactOS is and where it is going without people resorting to outright
bullying and posturing.

Let's take Warcraft II not working for example even though it installs. I'd like to
know if there is any information as to why it doesn't work and I'd certainly like
to know, if anyone has any idea, when the problem affecting it will probably get
fixed.

Actually, maybe that isn't a good example because it's too complex. How about
something simpler like, maybe, when is there going to be a fully implemented
add hardware wizard?

No, scratch that, what can anyone tell me about the trouble Janderwald has run
into trying to get sound to work.

Wait, maybe that's too complex as well.

I guess I will prove that this isn't
a useful forum if people have nothing better to do than reply to this thread
with, "you have no right to ask questions," "you can get this from the wiki,"
"you are being hostile," or my favorite, "fix it yourself and contribute the fix
to the project." If I was fixing ReactOS myself, I'd have notthing to do with
this project and you'd find a rebranded release of it under a new name and
new trademarks. Granted, you could download source code from me because
of the GPL, though I could charge a nominal fee for transmission of source code.

Saying it's in the wiki, the solution to sound not working for a fair number of
people is not in the wiki thank you very much. Another thing, where in the
wiki or the road map is there any information about when extended partitions
will be supported? As far as the newsletters, there are very few indications
as to what the current goals are. I know that USB isn't coming along very
well. I know that sound has hit a major blocker. I can see that memory
management isn't perfect yet. The current explorer definitely has major
problems. At least for the last problem, the road map says something about
it. As far as USB support, sound support, and memory management problems
though there is very little information. I know it's June, but as far as the
question of when will 0.3.10 be forked from trunk I can only guess the 30th
or later. I don't for example know that accomplishment XYZ could compel
a release as early as tomorrow.

Before attacking this thread, and I know someone will, consider the advantage
of this form of communication for certain questions. A person can try
to answer a question on a board of written questions any time. For IRC though,
the only chance to answer that question is right now. Consider, getting angry
is simple and it takes very little time, but what does it accomplish? If you want
to single out the guy who asks questions, to hell with foreign relations, then you
aren't cut out to be involved with open source projects. Consider, the more I
know about what's going on with ReactOS, what's being worked on, what's
coming together, and what isn't, the more likely it is that I can make a code
contribution. But why should I if I can't ask questions in a questions forum
without being denigrated and blocked? Being called hostile is a form of bullying.

I'm not the boss, I'm just someone who wants to be as informed as possible
about the project even if I don't like what I find. There are going to be more
people like me who want to ask questions that there aren't easy answers
to. To a certain degree, if noone asks questions about what will work and
when in ReactOS, the project will die again. I'd say that too many years
have gone into creating ReactOS for it to simply die, but die it will if people
perceive that the ReactOS community is hostile and the OS has no
promise. If I feel that the community is hostile, who else does?

I've advertised ReactOS on my web site and I offer all of the 0.3.x releases
on my ftp server. I haven't been opposed to ReactOS. However, I respect
and use Linux because it works. I use wine when I need to and it works.
I'm hoping that ReactOS will replace Windows where WINE won't work.

Hovering on IRC putting pressure on devs to give immediate answers to
potentially difficult questions seems rude compared to putting them on
here and hoping that a knowledgeable person will answer when he/she
has time.
Haos
Test Team

Re: My questions can't be answered by looking elsewhere...

Post by Haos »

And i find your questions aggressive, disrespectful and offending. Your tone is like you would be the paying customer or at least paying our bills/salaries, thus expecting instant results. "When are you going to fix that?" "Why is this not fixed yet?" "Why is no one working on this?" and so on.

This tone will lead you nowhere. Maybe your gross lack of tact is due to you not being an english native speaker, dunno. There are loads of words in english, when you want to ask about something politely. Somehow you manage not to use a single one of them.

You can open thread after thread, maybe you wont even be banned, as i`d love to see... Still, you are and wont be anything but a troll here. Dont expect anything then. No help, no support no nothing. This is my last reply to you. Do whatever you want, i dont really care. Hope everyone else is going to ignore you, and you get tired of empty threads.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

we really need a wishlist/bounty system....
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
nute

Post by nute »

"Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics."

Anyone know what is going on with the fonts in firefox 3?

I'm in the latest trunk build of ReactOS right now. It appears that the firefox 2 scrolling bug has been fixed.

I haven't demanded anything Haos and I didn't demand anything earlier in this thread either.
There is no tone in this written communication and no body language. You obviously didn't
read the opening post and decided to go ahead and be rude anyways.

What does the wiki or other parts of the ReactOS web site say about the problems in firefox 3?

What does the wiki say about the sound blocker?

I doubt that there is much information about these problems on other parts of the site.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

To everyone else: hold up on posts until nute answers mine. He's been dodging this basically every time I bring it up.

Have you ever considered the possibility that no one can answer the questions you bring up? This has been stated many times and yet you repeat those questions. Case in point is your constant asking of what needs to be done before another release is made. There is no answer. The decision to create a branch for a release is almost completely arbitrary. This was pointed out several times and yet every time a new release is out, you start asking about what needs to be done for the next one. This repetition is wearing on our patience, since it's an indication that you do not believe us and that we're wasting our time trying to answer you.

As for your questions regarding specific bugs, go search bugzilla. There tends to be a good amount of commentary by various people on issues. Beyond that, you're not likely to get more detailed answers from the people here.
nute

Post by nute »

Say a bug is in bugzilla, but what if there's no information about when it will be fixed or whether or not
it's a blocker for the next release???

I have a hard time believing that the release process is completely arbitrary. It suggests to me that
a new release doesn't mean anything until 0.5 comes out.

The road map does not detail at all:

1) When networking will be fleshed out so that ReactOS and Windows networking work together.

2) When various and assorted programs will work such as Microsoft Word 200x or Warcraft II BNE.
The former, up to 2003 at least, works under Wine. I'd be surprised if Word doesn't work in
ReactOS already.

3) When ReactOS will be able to handle extended partitions and work around partitions from other
operating systems.

4) When the ReactOS installer will be able to check the hard drive for bad sectors.

5) When it will be possible to defragment fat and ntfs partitions under ReactOS.

and the list could go on...

So is the decision to branch trunk completely arbitrary or is there for example a count of major
accomplishments where X number of accomplishments means that it is time to branch the trunk?
Perhaps certain accomplishments are planned before certain releases.

It seems that the road map has been made relevant by setting it up to answer very few questions.
This is very frustrating. Maybe I'm not getting enough information because I don't go through the
software compatibility list.

The newsletters could be longer and they could bring the various pieces of information that crop up
in them over time together better. They are very brief, too brief for my liking.
wicht

Post by wicht »

Have you ever considered the possibility that no one can answer the questions you bring up?
1) When networking will be...
2) When various and assorted programs will work...
3) When ReactOS will be able to handle extended...
4) When the ReactOS installer...
5) When it will be
Smiley
Developer

Post by Smiley »

nute wrote:Say a bug is in bugzilla, but what if there's no information about when it will be fixed or whether or not
it's a blocker for the next release???
Yes, none knows when it will be fixed. If it isn't set as blocker in bugzilla, it isn't a blocker for the next release.

nute wrote: I have a hard time believing that the release process is completely arbitrary. It suggests to me that
a new release doesn't mean anything until 0.5 comes out.
The roadmap is clear: the next realse will be a hardware compatibility release. Reacots now works with many windows drivers for network cards, it supports sata and usb mouse/keyboard. Aren't these enough improvements?
nute wrote: The road map does not detail at all:

1) When networking will be fleshed out so that ReactOS and Windows networking work together.
Yep. It's not planned because noone has the time to do it.

nute wrote: 2) When various and assorted programs will work such as Microsoft Word 200x or Warcraft II BNE.
The former, up to 2003 at least, works under Wine. I'd be surprised if Word doesn't work in
ReactOS already.
We don't share many parts of Reactos with wine. Moreover, the parts that aren't shared live in the kernel which makes porting these parts to Reactos extremely difficult.
nute wrote: 3) When ReactOS will be able to handle extended partitions and work around partitions from other
operating systems.
None knows when its done, because none has the time to do it, and it's not considered a priority
nute wrote: 4) When the ReactOS installer will be able to check the hard drive for bad sectors.
It can check for FAT.
nute wrote: 5) When it will be possible to defragment fat and ntfs partitions under ReactOS.
When someone thinks that it is important and finds time to do it.
nute wrote: and the list could go on...

So is the decision to branch trunk completely arbitrary or is there for example a count of major
accomplishments where X number of accomplishments means that it is time to branch the trunk?
Perhaps certain accomplishments are planned before certain releases.
As stated before, the accomplishmesnts are almost there. The only thing that needs to be fixed for the next release is usb mouse and keyboard.
nute wrote: It seems that the road map has been made relevant by setting it up to answer very few questions.
This is very frustrating. Maybe I'm not getting enough information because I don't go through the
software compatibility list.
nute wrote: The newsletters could be longer and they could bring the various pieces of information that crop up
in them over time together better. They are very brief, too brief for my liking.
The newsletters are quite good and it is the developer's desicion not to have many techinical information. If you need more techinical details about Reactos, you need to come to IRC, test trunk builds frequently and have a look at revision logs.
nute

Post by nute »

Look at revision logs??? What revision logs???
Smiley
Developer

Post by Smiley »

nute wrote:Look at revision logs??? What revision logs???
ie. snv logs
http://cia.vc/stats/project/ReactOS
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

Nute's posts brighten up my day :)
Very amusing
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Don't get me wrong, but its new to me that you need body language or tone to express feelings. Did you ever read a book??

Next: Writing "lie" in CAPS LOCK does not make it true, just more rude.
Last: multiple "!" are not friendly too.

Your whole writing style tells us anything we need to know. You have no clue what a big task ROS is und you have no clue what you are writing about
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

nute wrote:It suggests to me that a new release doesn't mean anything until 0.5 comes out.
I've been trying to make that point for months now.
nute wrote:The newsletters could be longer and they could bring the various pieces of information that crop up
I'm not paid to write this stuff, so what you get is whatever I put together in my spare time. Nor were the newsletters intended to answer the types of questions you keep asking. They provide a snapshot of development in a few selected areas and discuss what has happened, not about "when" things will happen.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Z98 wrote:I'm not paid to write this stuff, so what you get is whatever I put together in my spare time.
Finally someone mentions that. ReactOS is a spare time, hobby project. We have NO, ZERO, NADA paid devs and all devs have a real life, a real job and REAL problems in their lives. If you think we code too slow, then pay us! Otherwise let us do our hobby as long as its fun a day