Viruses && Malware ?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

stilyan

Viruses && Malware ?

Post by stilyan »

Now when in 0.3 we will see much better networking ,so how you plan to avoid malware?The nt architecture has some problems that make this easier?Are you gona break full compatibility with the NT ,or what?
ScoTTie

Post by ScoTTie »

Just like wine is susseptable to viruses, malware and spyware ReactOS will be aswell. I cant see the devs breaking compatability for a few problem programs, though this doesnt mean they cant improve on NT and make it harder (if thats possible in this situation). Sadly they're part of using a windows based system and you should take the proper precautions to stop them from infecting your system.
A-v-S
Location: BAEK CITY (Beek, Limburg, The Netherlands, Europe, Earth)

Post by A-v-S »

There is no MicroSoft Internet Explorer in ReactOS.
That makes less spyware.
"you laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same"

http://www.il.fontys.nl/~andre
mrsuicide

Post by mrsuicide »

Wine is "compatible" to viruses, so ReactOS will be too.
Meklort

Post by Meklort »

mrsuicide wrote:Wine is "compatible" to viruses, so ReactOS will be too.
Of course, Linux is compatible to viruses too (not the same ones a windows but...), yet they normaly dont and cant spread because of the way security is implimented. If we have secutiry implemented corectly in ReactOS then viruses wont be able to do what they are made to do, and you wont have to worry about it as much.
oiaohm

Lets make this simple.

Post by oiaohm »

Reactos 1.0 has to ship with this min.

A working firewall not a half one(Microsofts One incoming only)a full firewall there are free ones around that could be embed.

Clamav interface in the filesystem. So virus filtering can be done all every read write.(this can be turned off if another virus scanner is installed)

Note Clamav could be expanded to detect and block the install of Malware just like a virus.

Default user not Admin and able to do the good stuff ie play games burn cdroms and so on without being able to install or damage the OS.

Then maybe some filesystem mods to protect the core of the OS from being played with.

None of the above sould break compad. Now moving to the next level registry filter and init file filter. This is downright evil. Program install Malware but it is never activated even that its registry entrys exist because reactos skips it and only shows it to the program that installed it.

Verry few programs need to make complet global changes so locking registry entrys per program keeps reactos registry clean. Ie have to give special permission for a program to make global changes that can be see by other programs that don't belong to that package.

This would get tricky but if it could be done right would fix the problems.
A-v-S
Location: BAEK CITY (Beek, Limburg, The Netherlands, Europe, Earth)

Post by A-v-S »

The new MS SP2 Firewall also does limit some outgoing.

Then make it also possible for a user with a limited account to acces specific "LOCAL MACINE" keys for specific apps.
Some games do not run because of this on a windows 2000/xp without admin account.
"you laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same"

http://www.il.fontys.nl/~andre
chris319

Post by chris319 »

A working firewall
With true Windows compatability, Zone Alarm should work right out of the box, correct?
mjs

Post by mjs »

I don't like the idea of having something like ZoneAlarm. Under the hood there should be a *real* full-featured firewall (like the one available in Linux kernels). To me, ZoneAlarm seems to be a toy for normal Windows users that don't know much about networking.

Regards,
Mark
Stead

Post by Stead »

i'm not to fussed on having all teh super duper coolio security stuff intergrated into reactos, what about people what only what it on a standalone machine?

although the registry idea is a nice one!, i'd appricate that, personally i use kerio, its free, and i just for some reason really dislike how zonealarm brakes lots of things (At least with my experiance)
Meklort

Post by Meklort »

For a firewall, I would like somthing like iptables, just alot easyer to configure (for the average user... / windows users) So bassicaly, port forwarding, blocking based on ip's blocking based on ports, forewarding ports based on ip / other info, ect.
Gasmann

Post by Gasmann »

If a firewall would be shipped with ReactOS, I think it should be easy to use and secure. That's not what ZoneAlarm is: It's user-friendly, but as firewall it's trash (at least on Winnt4, didn't try it on any other version) and you can have without it the same security level as with it, it simply helps nothing (at least not for me). There are many alternatives that do the job much better. Also the firewall software has to be open-source to get shipped with ReactOS, ZoneAlarm isn't.
dark

Post by dark »

I'd like to see something built in that acts like McAfee's internet applications list, where i can choose which programs i want to have full access, outbound access only, and blocked status to the internet.
chris319

Post by chris319 »

There are many alternatives that do the job much better. Also the firewall software has to be open-source to get shipped with ReactOS
Name them. Or, if the perfect Windows open source firewall doesn't already exist, there's nothing stopping you from writing one.
Jaix
Moderator Team

Zonealarm Pro

Post by Jaix »

gasmann wrote:If a firewall would be shipped with ReactOS, I think it should be easy to use and secure. That's not what ZoneAlarm is: It's user-friendly, but as firewall it's trash (at least on Winnt4, didn't try it on any other version) and you can have without it the same security level as with it, it simply helps nothing (at least not for me). There are many alternatives that do the job much better. Also the firewall software has to be open-source to get shipped with ReactOS, ZoneAlarm isn't.
ZoneAlarm isn't very good, but ZA Pro is bouth secure and simple to use but it's not free. The real problems with the free alternatives is that they are too simple they just blocks everything out and does not allow specific programs to be accessed by the net or give proxy possibilities. I often need a computer on ny LAN to be accessed from the internet, free alternatives doesn't usually allow this. Isn't there a Linux alternative possible to port?