Vista Design possibly

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

gyROS

Re: Vista Design possibly

Post by gyROS »

The123king wrote:(no title bar theming or explorer.exe theming)
Maybe the old reactos explorer simply is not compiled with visual styles enabled. (None of the reactos programs is, I suppose)
Smiley
Developer

Post by Smiley »

gyROS wrote:
Maybe the old reactos explorer simply is not compiled with visual styles enabled. (None of the reactos programs is, I suppose)

The problem is that paintng non-client areas of windows (titlebars, broders, menus, scrollbars) is completely unimplemented in wine's uxtheme. Wine lets X server paint theeser parts. So the result is that in reactos everything is themed except non-client ares of windows
GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

Smiley wrote:
gyROS wrote:

The problem is that paintng non-client areas of windows (titlebars, broders, menus, scrollbars) is completely unimplemented in wine's uxtheme. Wine lets X server paint theeser parts. So the result is that in reactos everything is themed except non-client ares of windows
I thought it was simply that explorer.exe didn't support theming.

explorer_new is supposed to, though.
The123king

Post by The123king »

GoBusto wrote:
Smiley wrote:
gyROS wrote: The problem is that paintng non-client areas of windows (titlebars, broders, menus, scrollbars) is completely unimplemented in wine's uxtheme. Wine lets X server paint theeser parts. So the result is that in reactos everything is themed except non-client ares of windows
I thought it was simply that explorer.exe didn't support theming.

explorer_new is supposed to, though.
If you've ever run explorer_new as shell on XP you'll notice it doesn't yet (Or at least i didn't when i tested it last)
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

As a small correction, X server does not paint title bars, borders, etc., on its own initiative.
Bond007s

Post by Bond007s »

Just a question, is the New ReactOS explorer supposed to be compiled with XP style themes, Vista styles, Windows 7 styles (I assume they are similar to Vista styles. It might be really nice if the new explorer was able to make a similar taskbar as Windows 7 just to stay up to data and with the curb. Before anyone goes and flames me, the Windows 7 RC will be available on May 5th to everyone for over a year of use. I don't know when ReactOS will be mostly ready for daily use. It is getting close, but we might as well create the interface as to the future if possible.

On a side note, for those that want it. It would be really nice even if the interface was created according to Windows 7, give users the option of classic start menu just for those that want it. Windows 7 took away the classic start menu.
greenie

Post by greenie »

The windows explorer (for xp anyway) uses all the same components that we use. The program it self styles it without ux themes does not magically do it. It loads a dll that is filled with files(no functions) that contains images and text. Then the program paints the bar based off the images provided and the text. The file is kept here
C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes\Luna\Shell\NormalColor\shellstyle.dll
With a res hacker u can view this file and its images.

Each version of windows changes and the styles are not backwards compatible. So we may as well write our own definition for styles. That are easier for users.

On a side note I accidentally axed my style shell theme. So now it applies no styles to it. it looks like explorer new. Using "winspector spy" you can also compare all the settings and controls used for windows shell and reactos shell.
doomonyou

Post by doomonyou »

I'm waiting for some kind of theme system so I can use/create a royale noir like theme. That would be the best theme I can think of.
The123king

Post by The123king »

doomonyou wrote:I'm waiting for some kind of theme system so I can use/create a royale noir like theme. That would be the best theme I can think of.
[ external image ]

Royale Noir theme on ReactOS.