ReactOS icon set

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

mjs

Post by mjs »

Personally, I think you should change the folder icons to a different color. It's not easy to differ between drive and folder icon at the first sight. You have to look twice to differ between the two. Using a different color than gray would help - why not using yellow like Windows?

Regards,
Mark
counting_pine

Post by counting_pine »

How about this?
[ external image ]
I'm not too sure about the watermark, but overall I'm happier with the way this folder icon looks.
Meklort

Post by Meklort »

Looks good to me. Although the files need better icons... (once they are made)
Harteex

Post by Harteex »

Those yellow folders are much better imo
Elledan

Post by Elledan »

Harteex wrote:Those yellow folders are much better imo
Agreed.

They remind me of the folder icons used in the default Firefox theme. Which is a good thing ;)
Duck

icon making wizard

Post by Duck »

Talking about icons, it would be great if a the user had some kind of wizard to make a ros icon out of an image... Just a candy for the masses :)
MadRat

Post by MadRat »

Elledan wrote:
Harteex wrote:Those yellow folders are much better imo
Agreed.

They remind me of the folder icons used in the default Firefox theme. Which is a good thing ;)
I think yellow is the defacto standard folder color in all OS'es anymore.
Go Huskers!
mf
Developer

Post by mf »

MadRat wrote:I think yellow is the defacto standard folder color in all OS'es anymore.
[ external image ] [ external image ] [ external image ]
Actually, if you start counting, there aren't that many OSes at all, and only a few of them have yellow folders (most notably Windows). I find it an interesting fact to say the least that the window manager that wishes to be most like Windows (KDE) has blue/grey folders. In the end it really doesn't matter much.
GreatLord
Developer

Re: icon making wizard

Post by GreatLord »

Duck wrote:Talking about icons, it would be great if a the user had some kind of wizard to make a ros icon out of an image... Just a candy for the masses :)
It is not posible to have a wizard to make ros icon.

mf are doing all icons to bmp then using a tool to get them into .rc file
then icon will be compiler into the .dll file.
Duck

RE: Greatlord

Post by Duck »

I wasnt talking about the icons that go in the dll's.

In windows i can choose any icon i wish to replace a chosen folder icon. I can get that icon from anywhere, not just from the collection os system icons in the dlls. I am just talking about a tool that picks up images and turns them to icons. That tool could then have a default saving directory and when choosing an icon to replace the original i would have the choice to pick up a system one or a personal one...

I do that in windows when i want a special icon for a folder.

There should be an icon manager too so that people could costumize ros at their will but someone already told me ppl here werent interested. What makes win hard to costumize is the fact that system icons are inside system files.

Until someone explains me why this is done i will never understand why is ros going the same way(im not a programmer).
Couldnt there be some kind of manager taking care of all icons and icon packages insteadof spreading icons across system files?
mf
Developer

Re: RE: Greatlord

Post by mf »

Duck wrote:There should be an icon manager too so that people could costumize ros at their will but someone already told me ppl here werent interested. What makes win hard to costumize is the fact that system icons are inside system files.
http://reactos.com/wiki/index.php/Themes
Duck

Spot ON

Post by Duck »

Have you ever used icon packager from stardock? Thats what i was talking about when referring to an icon manager.

And buddy icongrabber to create icons from images
mf
Developer

Re: Spot ON

Post by mf »

Duck wrote:Have you ever used icon packager from stardock? Thats what i was talking about when referring to an icon manager.
Yeah, I use it at the moment to set win2k classic icons in winxp, along with resource hacker for some of the more difficult jobs (start button, explorer icon, etc).
Delfi

Re: Spot ON

Post by Delfi »

mf wrote:at the moment to set win2k classic icons in winxp, along with resource hacker for some of the more difficult jobs (start button, explorer icon, etc).

holy shit, another one, i did that too but i use windows nt 4 "cool" icons :shock:
i even replaced the "folder" explorer's s button images to win2k style

also this pic looks really nice!!

[ external image ]

just get rid of that white stuff on the folder and it will be perfect :)
Duck

Thats the way

Post by Duck »

Yeah, I use it at the moment to set win2k classic icons in winxp, along with resource hacker for some of the more difficult jobs (start button, explorer icon, etc).
So the next step is to elliminate the need for resource hacker like software in ros. The Icon manager should (must) have full power. If the idea is to elliminate windows limitations... Thats the way to go i think.

Having a icon manager will make everybody happy as everyone can have their OS their way. (And end lots of dumb discussions too)