Virtual PC with ReactOS 0.3.8 : ok

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

tarnyko

Virtual PC with ReactOS 0.3.8 : ok

Post by tarnyko »

Hi everybody,

Just an interesting info for who'd like to test : ReactOS 0.3.8 now works with Microsoft Virtual PC.

The keyboard driver works well ; the mouse driver, however, seems to be crippled (pointer moves but with some lag).

Tarnyko
Elledan

Re: Virtual PC with ReactOS 0.3.8 : ok

Post by Elledan »

That's great news! :)
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

We were aware of new VPC version finally working with ROS. Good to see it confirmed.
elhoir
Test Team

Post by elhoir »

bad news...
i hav just tested r39838 and it doesnt boot under MS Virtual PC....
elhoir
Test Team

Post by elhoir »

for more infomation, i get this message:

"partition signature != 55AA"

1st stage finishes successfully, but this message is displayed at 2nd stage boot.
josilva23

Post by josilva23 »

The ReactOS 0.3.10 does not work in Virtual PC 2007.
In time to install the screen freezes after a few seconds...
Is there a way to solve the problem? :D

Sorry my English. :cry:
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

If Virtual PC can emulate a serial port, you can receive a debug log from it, which hopefully will help to fix this bug.
Ubuntu

Post by Ubuntu »

Hi everybody,

Just an interesting info for who'd like to test : ReactOS 0.3.8 now works with Microsoft Virtual PC.

The keyboard driver works well ; the mouse driver, however, seems to be crippled (pointer moves but with some lag).

Tarnyko
Microsoft better patch this right away! This just isn't like them at all!
Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

Ubuntu wrote:
Hi everybody,

Tarnyko
This isn't a fault with Microsoft; Virtual PC works fine with Windows. There's a problem with our drivers, notably the serial port driver.
josilva23

Post by josilva23 »

Lone_Rifle wrote:
Ubuntu wrote:
Hi everybody,

Tarnyko
This isn't a fault with Microsoft; Virtual PC works fine with Windows. There's a problem with our drivers, notably the serial port driver.
Do you have any estimates of when going to work in Virtual PC 2007?
Does this link help on something?
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/produc ... debug.mspx
It has a. Doc describing the debug of VPC 2004, may perhaps serve to VPC 2007?
Ubuntu

Post by Ubuntu »

My quote was sarcasm. Microsoft has a history of blocking the competition.
ericy

Post by ericy »

I am trying to play with this some to figure out what the issue with the mouse is. What I would like is to get the various logging things in the i8042 driver to be written somewhere - ideally to the COM port where I can see it in putty. But so far I get no output..

I hacked i8042prt.c to have this:

#if 1
DbgSetDebugFilterState(
DPFLTR_I8042PRT_ID,
(1 << DPFLTR_ERROR_LEVEL) | (1 << DPFLTR_WARNING_LEVEL) |
(1 << DPFLTR_TRACE_LEVEL) | (1 << DPFLTR_INFO_LEVEL) | DPFLTR_MASK,
TRUE);
#endif

and then rebuilt the cd image, but I still get no output. On the other hand in a cmd window I can do "dir > COM2:" which causes display to putty (there is a weird off-by-one issue here - putty thinks it is listening to the pipe associated with COM1).

which on the surface would seem to do what I want. I guess the thing I don't really have a good sense about is where one would expect the debug output to really go - I am guessing that it is supposed to go to a COM port.

Can someone point me in the right direction?
Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

We have some known issues with i8042prt, although the problems haven't actually been attended to. The relevant bug report for this would be

http://www.reactos.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=701
ericy

Post by ericy »

Possible, I guess. The problem I see on VirtualPC is that the mouse moves in a very jerky fashion - almost as if it is polling the device every second or two instead of responding immediately to interrupts. And for that matter, double-clicking doesn't work on VirtualPC.

The queueing issue in the bug report could well be it, I suppose.
ericy

Post by ericy »

Update: I have spent some time fooling with this, and there are some rather strange things going on under VirtualPC. Essentially I can't get anything working at all that involves COM ports and the kernel using VirtualPC. No GDB, no KDB, no DebugPrint messages. If I attempt to use Tab-K, the system freezes as if it is attempting to bring up the debugger, but I get no output.

From a cmd window, I can do "dir > COM2" and the output comes to COM1 (notice the off-by-one error in the naming).

I could dump the DebugPrint messages to a file which sort of told me how the mouse was initialized, but at some point after the mouse is initialized the log was truncated and there were no further messages. The mouse does move in a sort of jerky fashion, but there are no more messages.

As a sanity check, I ran a Sun VirtualBox, and everything behaves normally. I get the debug output, Tab-K brings up the kdb> prompt. Everything.

All of this together (the odd mouse behavior, the COM port problems, and the inability to get logging information past a certain point) lead me to suspect that the problem has nothing directly to do with the i8042 driver. For all I know, it might have nothing to do with the serial port either. At the moment I have half-baked ideas that that it relates to irq levels or perhaps secondary threads. I would note however that VirtualPC shows 0% CPU utilization when the VM is idle.

The trick of course is to figure out where this is happening. Which driver, or which part of the kernel? I can disable a number of the drivers that aren't needed for VPC to see if I can narrow down the search somewhat. I already have a "Tab-m" that I added which creates a pagefile and then tries to do a memory dump to it, but this merely seems to wedge the thing without writing anything useful - probably caught in a spinlock somewhere, so instead I am fixing it to dump a threadlist to see what that tells me.