500.000.000,00 €uros

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Should the EU donate (a part of) the MicroSoft's fine to this project ?

Yes !
73%
No.
27%

Total votes: 51

forart

500.000.000,00 €uros

Post by forart »

:shock:
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.
w3seek
Developer

Post by w3seek »

I don't think that'd be something good...especially not if it's from a competitor like MS.
Jaix
Moderator Team

Blood money...

Post by Jaix »

I just say one thing, blood money...
Elledan

Post by Elledan »

More than money, I think that ROS needs gifted developers willing to spend some of their spare time on improving parts of ROS.

But if it's legally possible, then I wouldn't be against it. Consider it additional punishment for MSFT, as well as a reminder that their monopoly may truly be nearing its final days (years).
somebody

Re: Blood money...

Post by somebody »

Jaix wrote:I just say one thing, blood money...
yes, but if EU set this rules, then must BE competitive product. If is absent, then products must BE created. For this need money...
AcetoliNe

Post by AcetoliNe »

My personal answer is no, but...

five hundred MILLION euros? *knees shake while contemplating that much money*

A hundredth of it would be enough to give reactos a huge development boost.

I personally don't think it would be correct (One problem would be how to evenly distribute the money) but who can say no to a few bucks (er, I mean euros) of good money?

*AcetoliNe thinks of all that money and goes power-mad*
caveman LIKES chocolate.
we shall reinvent the wheel until it turns properly.
oiaohm

My answer is YES and here is why.

Post by oiaohm »

five hundred MILLION euros? *knees shake while contemplating that much money*
No problem we will just do a Sun Microsystems if they give us that much.

Put in a trust account and run off part of the interest that is not require to keep up with inflation. This would keep the project ticking over good.

Now the trick with money is not how much you are given(the more the better) it is how you manage it. If we blow it in 12 months will Microsoft still be there. Ie they are selling product so management of our money is important. The money must last. 100 Million euros would give us a operational budget of about 1 Million euros a year without effecting the fund.(I guess we would be tax exempt)

This would get developers a wide range of hardware to test reactos on(ie some of the money would go on buy parts for lead developers or specal developers ie how many people need more that 4 video cards really)

Some would go to the servers we dependon ie here and sf(just out of kind ness)

Some can be used to fight and patent attack against reactos. Note the way trust would be setup would not be liable directly so the core of our money is safe. Ie this trust is to be used to support a opensource replacement to windows the current selected project is reactos in case of reactos distruction or other event that stops any means of reactos developing(to costly patents and so on) this fund will be made open to any opensource project that is working on a replacement enviroment to windows.

Ie the fund is supporting reactos but if anything happens to reactos it will go other partys. That is not worded excactly right.

This is cool because if Microsoft attack reactos it does not get the funds but it powers groups it does not want to.

Please note the rules of the trust would not let us touch the cap we would have to operate off the money made from the capital.

Lets make Microsoft fine there biggest nightmare. A funded competor that will not die.
Gabriel Vigo

Post by Gabriel Vigo »

I've voted for NO... Why? :? Because this is a free open-source project. If the money is enveloped, this project can turn into commercial software (and nobody wants that). And therefore, I've voted for NO. And moreover there is not official material about this. Which is this information's source? (this can be only a funny joke... 500.000.000,00 Euros!! what a joke!... :shock: ).
oiaohm

Why does money have to equal comercial

Post by oiaohm »

Money means people can have more time to work on the project.

Linus is funded by many companys.

The would provide resources.

Sun is comerical but its a live due to good planing.

There is no reson why Open Source cannot be self funding. Ie get money and never it. Server cost money to run. Full time developers costs money.

This as advantages. Any major faults can be targeted quickly.
forart

Post by forart »

If the money is enveloped, this project can turn into commercial software (and nobody wants that).
Absolutelly false ! :x
Which is this information's source? (this can be only a funny joke... 500.000.000,00 Euros!! what a joke!... Shocked )
Err....

BBC News
CNN
The Register

...and, well, try to search Google !!!
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.
cuppm

Post by cuppm »

Is the EU giving the money out like grants for projects like this or are they just using it to fund themselves?

Is it definite that microsoft will pay the fine yet? All those articles are old and they were fighting the fine.
AcetoliNe

Post by AcetoliNe »

I hope you all realize that microsoft is never going to pay, and if it ever was, the money would never reach ros, and that this whole thing is just a whimsy flight of fancy.

Even so, it's kind of fun thinking about all that $$$.
Oops, i meant €€€. ;)
caveman LIKES chocolate.
we shall reinvent the wheel until it turns properly.
oiaohm

Hmm Microsoft tried not paying into the EU.

Post by oiaohm »

It did not take long for Microsoft to wake up and smell the nuke.

The past one was over patents and if they could have held out for another few months they would have been able to buy the company. Due to agreement between the USA and the EU on out standing moneys can be chased across boarders. Ie Walk into a USA count and place a rit on All Microsoft Assets Freezing them for upto 6 months then take the money. Yep no sales for 6 months and all staff layed off for 6 months will hurt big time.

Reason for Freezing there assets completely is that not paying up is taken that the company is in a bad way and could fold at any minute so no more damage could be done but for a company that can pay boy it hurts. Yep it works both ways. Person/Company we pay just to stop the Freezing.

I kinda think they will be paying up unless they can win a way out in of it.

Personally I think that it will all go to linux but if we don't put up our hands we will never know. Since this money will have to go to projects somewhere. I predict the wins would be Novell and Mandrake.

Is the EU giving the money out like grants for projects. Yes it is in some cases for like Mandrake they will even bail out supporting companys with contracts and money.