windows 7 beta

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

Haos
Test Team

Re: windows 7 beta

Post by Haos »

Embeded systems are not normal production systems, you are running those with a set number of apps and limited memory use.
RaptorEmperor

Post by RaptorEmperor »

I installed the Windows 7 beta on the second hard drive on my computer. I personally find the interface attractive, more so than Vista. Some of the alterations to the menus were nice as well. I installed Spore Creature Creator, maxed out the graphics settings (I have a nice video card) and Spore ran just as smoothly on Windows 7 as it did Windows XP. If I can find my old Halo PC disk I want to test that out too. If I can max out the settings on Halo PC and it runs smoothly I'll really be impressed. I've been wanting to get Halo 2 Vista but I was terrified of Vista's memory usage.

One cool thing: Windows 7 detected my video card and installed the drivers automatically, whereas I had to install the drivers myself on WIndows XP. So far no driver horror stories like I've heard about with Vista.

I did make it BSOD when I tried doing the system rating thing. The blue screen seems to look a bit different now.

If things keep going well with it I might consider upgrading to the new Windows when it comes out.
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

hi
i have been using windows for a long time 9x nt4 so the classic windows explorer is what i am use to using i have tested windows 7 beta and there is some things in windows 7 that i like but there is a lot of things i do not like

there is no classic start menu
no classic windows explorer just a windows vista stile explorer that i find unusable
no classic control panel it is unusable mes
Davy Bartoloni

Post by Davy Bartoloni »

Sorry Z98... i have a Computer-RePAIR SHOP and this installed "7" was not mine, i thinked it was a standard beta release.
Last edited by Davy Bartoloni on Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Umm, you're gonna need to provide a very good explanation of why you have access to build 7022 when the latest publicly available build is 7000. Otherwise, I can only assume you pirated it and am going to delete that post.
Hans Henrik

Post by Hans Henrik »

XP dont follow with DirectX 10, True
you can manually install it tho

and i thought win XP SP2 could theoretically take 38-39 cpus :O going to check this...
Hans Henrik

Post by Hans Henrik »

3 more things..

1: (off-topic, i know :p) why cant users edit there own post's?

2: Z98 how do you know this guy isn't a MS dev :?:

3: (also off topic!) hey people, try posting: MS
(without the spaces, and dollar mark, not S !)
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

1. Users can, unless they've abused the feature and pissed off the mods/admins enough that we lock it.

2. What MS dev would be so incompetent as to need to ask an outside source questions about a build that's not publicly available?

3. Our word sensor is set up to catch attempts to post that and replace it with MS.
Hans Henrik

Post by Hans Henrik »

@diting posts
really? so either i cant find the edit-link, or ive pissed of som1?

i can find the "delete post" button tho, as long as its the latest post in the thread

btw sorry about the *max number of CPU for XP*
i ment max 31 cpu's
(not 38-39)
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

Hans Henrik wrote: 1: (off-topic, i know :p) why cant users edit there own post's?
Maybe this can help: http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6084
3: (also off topic!) hey people, try posting: MS
(without the spaces, and dollar mark, not S !)
http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6445
Hans Henrik

Post by Hans Henrik »

hmm, yeah that helped!

ty hto (for the refer)
and thanks to vicmarcal for the solution
(btw on my PhpBB forum, i dont have this problem with newly registred user accounts, using PhpBB v3.0.2... think the ReactOS forum manager messed up something?)
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Thanks ;)
Mr_Histamine

Post by Mr_Histamine »

Have this installed on a laptop running an Intel Centrino (1.86GHz) processor, and a gig of ram. So far it's what Vista should have been. It's just as fast as XP (much faster than Vista), but a lot more convenient.

Pros:
- The overall flow of the system; it's not as logical as XP.
- Being able to open a file right from the start menu; single best feature.
- Much more stable than Vista, about as stable as XP (I've had it running for about a month now; in and out of sleep states).
- Waking up the computer after putting it into sleep mode is much more reliable.
- Battery consumption has improved over Vista; is a bit worse than XP while performing tasks - but does a much better job of managing power when the computer is not being used.
- From power off to desktop idle takes about 2 and a half minutes.
- Taskbar is tidier; like how the notification section is handled now.
- Got rid of the sidebar (was always causing problems, or slowing my computer in Vista), but kept the gadgets.
- Installation/Windows7 handles all driver installations.

Cons:
- All the quirks of a Beta release (stability and weird behaviors).
- Installation still takes longer than a graduation ceremony (not really...but it's dangerously close)
- Boot up time isn't consistent; occasionally takes forever to load.
- Indexing service is still weird - I've left my computer on for days without using it, and it still hasn't indexed some of my frequently used folders.
- Security and user permissions still need work.
- Still has some funky compatibility issues.

Overall: Wait for W7 if you haven't gotten Vista - it's a worthy successor (not just a marketing harlot) to XP.
goblacky

Post by goblacky »

windows 7 has removed alot of features....

as well as the windows media mini taskbar mode... which is one of the worst removed features in windows7. I use it alot becuase I Photoshop alot and having to maximize the media player and mess around with it is very distracting when I am doing graphics. I do not like it. I also do not like the new media player, as it hides the eq and you have to dig around for it. Do they assume people do not use an EQ? Alot of people do. if you dont that's like eating a plain sandwich. Or having a house without carpet or fixtures....

Also what does not sit well is the performance on games yet. oblivion refused to play right and often would crash or just have mad lag 10FPS is not ok if I get 50 on my 8800GT in vista x64. bleah. Also has mad issues with PSCS4 and if I loaded a filter it would crash. hrrrmm....
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

[quote="goblacky] oblivion refused to play right and often would crash or just have mad lag 10FPS is not ok if I get 50 on my 8800GT in vista x64. bleah. Also has mad issues with PSCS4 and if I loaded a filter it would crash. hrrrmm....[/quote]
uhmmmmm..then ReactOS is nearer 7 than expected..(j/k)