Progress to 0.3.8 and beyond...

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Ey3

Re: Progress to 0.3.8 and beyond...

Post by Ey3 »

So... is 0.3.8 finally out?
Commit by cfinck :: r39330 / (2 files in 2 dirs):
This is the one and only, final ReactOS 0.3.8
The123king

Post by The123king »

Z98 wrote:As for your other questions, same answer as always, which is we don't know. And that answer isn't going to change until we decide to make a formal announcement about it. Until that time, no matter how often you ask, you will not get an answer. And no, we also don't have a date for when we're likely to make that formal announcement. It comes when it comes.
And also, ReactOS has too few developers and too many developers (in proportion) leaving and coming back at any one time to even put a wildcard guess of any projected release. a release will come when it comes, if there are bugfixes delaying release, the release will be delayed; if there are too few commits to validate a new release, a release may be skipped. There's too many variations in the workings of an OS to ever have an accurate guess on an estimated 2 month release cycle.
RideBMX

Post by RideBMX »

I must say, I like the new wallpaper that came with the 0.3.8 release.

[ external image ]
dark

Post by dark »

RideBMX wrote:I must say, I like the new wallpaper that came with the 0.3.8 release.
No 24 bit color on your emulator/computer?

(Continuing my search for programs that might work under qemu)
RideBMX

Post by RideBMX »

I didn't bother changing the settings; standard settings on first boot.
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 »

You actually managed to install it?! O_O I still get the black screen lock-up thing on my PC when loading the OS installer.

Also, as for the background, you can go searching through the ISO and CAB files with something like 7zip and find the actual BMP file (it's named Angelus_02_ROSWP.bmp). Here it is in it's full 1024x768 24 bit glory (resaved as a PNG of course):

[ external image ]
(though even with 24 bit color, I do believe I still see some slight color banding - so when are we getting support for 30/36/48 bit deep color? :P)

Speaking of which, just why IS the image a BMP? Is PNG support not in ROS yet or something?
Last edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 on Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

Windows IIRC saves its currently displayed wallpaper as BMP too.
Nintendo Maniac 64

But I'm talking about the original file. I know Windows XP has some in JPG as well (such as C:\Windows\Web\Wallpaper\Ascent.jpg), proving that the originals on the list don't HAVE to be BMP (then there's the part where windows can use external PNG images as well)
dark

Post by dark »

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:But I'm talking about the original file. I know Windows XP has some in JPG as well (such as C:\Windows\Web\Wallpaper\Ascent.jpg), proving that the originals on the list don't HAVE to be BMP (then there's the part where windows can use external PNG images as well)
I believe he's saying that all background images in windows get converted and stored as a bmp file, no matter the original format. Probably not hard to implement such a feature (I'm sure there's a open source c library around for that), but all the graphics bugs still in there could cause problems.

If I were to guess on that 32/48 bit color stuff: when the drivers for the hardware that supports it work (not anytime soon).
GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

dark wrote:Probably not hard to implement such a feature (I'm sure there's a open source c library around for that), but all the graphics bugs still in there could cause problems.
I think that the possible formats are limited to those supported by GDI+.

EDIT:
Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:Also, as for the background, you can go searching through the ISO and CAB files with something like 7zip and find the actual BMP file (it's named Angelus_02_ROSWP.bmp).
A simpler approach would be to look here: http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=6153
Nintendo Maniac 64

yeah, but I didn't know that topic existed, while I already knew where and how to get the wallpaper BMP from in the ISO (I used the last one on my dad's PC)
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

dark wrote:I believe he's saying that all background images in windows get converted and stored as a bmp file, no matter the original format.

Indeed, everything in Windows is displayed as a bitmap; the whole desktop, the windows, the cursor, even you jpeg and png images which are converted to bmps before they can be displayed onto the Device Context.
nute

Post by nute »

Congratulations on getting 0.3.8 out. I hope to see 0.4.0 soon.
nute

Post by nute »

I tried winzip 8.0 on ReactOS 0.3.8. it installs okay but it crashes the system when I try to use it.

I take it the newsletter is a once a month sort of thing, so how can one track the progress of ReactOS more frequently than that 1 time a month that a newsletter comes out?

What has to work before 0.4.0 comes out? Where is ReactOS at right now?
Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

If you want something else to track, you could use the links in my signature. These get updated on a per-revision basis.